A good end to a BAD day! (Bank Find)

Old April 28th 04, 04:23 PM
Andrew W Applegarth

Default A good end to a BAD day! (Bank Find)

Yesterday was a BAD day! I found out the hard way that the automatic
Windows updates didn't work on my entire deployment of about 300 public
workstations in five different library buildings. (Of course, it worked
on the test machines just fine.) I had to kick everybody off of them and
power them down until we could go around and patch them by hand (with the
network cable unplugged). College students are not very understanding or
forgiving when assignments are due, and the reference staff wasn't much
better (at first) when I gave them the news. So, like I said, yesterday
was a BAD day!

My wife recently went back to work. She didn't want to, but she ended
up working in a bank again. Well, when she got home last night, she held
out her hand and said "Would you like this?" I got all excited, but then
she handed me a Lincoln Memorial Cent that looks like somebody tried to
cut it in half with bolt cutters. I declined on that one.

She said, "Okay. How about this one?" She then hands me a Buffalo
Nickle. Now, this is my first circulation (or bank) find Buffalo Nickle,
so I definately accepted this one! The date is almost completely gone,
but I'm fairly certain it is a 1916. It might be a 1906 or a 1926, but I
don't think that there is enough room for that wide of a digit.

Then, she said, "Would you like this one?" and handed me a 1939 D
Washington Quarter.

When I took that one, she said, "How about this one?" and handed me a
1966 Kennedy Half Dollar.

After I took that one, she said, "How about these?" and handed me a
sealed envelope. When I opened it, I discovered it had 113 Lincoln Wheat
Cents and one blank planchet. Needless to say, I took them all!

None of the coins are in great condition, and I'm a bit rusty on
grading. Plus, it was pretty late before I could even go through and
look at dates and mint marks. So, no grades for now, but none of them
are going to grade very high. Still, they will make nice hole fillers in
my Lincoln Cents from circulation collection.

Here's the list:

1958 D x2
1958 x2
1957 D x14
1956 D x8
1955 D x4
1954 D x2
1953 D x5
1952 D x9
1951 D x10
1951 x1
1950 D x3
1949 D x1
1948 x1
1947 D x4
1946 S x1
1946 D x1
1946 x1
1945 D x2
1945 x5
1944 S x1
1944 x3
1942 S x3
1942 x4
1941 D x1
1941 x3
1940 S x1
1940 D x1
1940 x3
1939 S x1
1939 x1
1938 x1
1937 D x1
1937 x2
1936 x1
1935 x1
1934 x1
1930 x1
1929 x2
1919 x3
1917 x1
1911 x1

Well, that only adds up to 112, but I know there were 113. I must
have missed one when I grouped them, so one of the numbers above is one
smaller than it should be. I'll have to double check when I have more
time...

- Andrew W Applegarth

Now I just have to convince her that the Canadian coins that came in with
this is worth bringing home to me...
Old April 28th 04, 06:02 PM
Eric Babula

Andrew W Applegarth wrote in
:

[...]

Andrew - that sure WAS a good end to your bad day! Holy cow! You have
a great wife, there, to think of you as she works! That's a nice haul
of coins, even if they are low-grade! Congrats!

She's a keeper!

--
Smile!!

Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Old April 28th 04, 06:20 PM
Andrew W Applegarth

Eric Babula wrote in
1:

Andrew - that sure WAS a good end to your bad day! Holy cow! You have
a great wife, there, to think of you as she works! That's a nice haul
of coins, even if they are low-grade! Congrats!

She's a keeper!

I know that she's a keeper! She has put a lot of coins into my
collection during her years working at various banks. She actually gave
me my first silver coin, a 1942 S Walking Liberty Half Dollar. It has a
hole in it, but I love it! (I'm playing with my digital camera, and I
just posted a pic of it in ABPN if you're interested.)

She's only worked at this bank for about a month, and she had already
brought home 3 other wheat cents. This is the first silver from this
location.

I got $5 in rolls of cents to go through from her bank a while back.
I've only had time to go through $4 so far. (I have a nearly 3 year old
and a nearly 6 month old, so time is precious. Plus, my 3 year old son
likes coins, so I have to look at the 'good' stuff when he isn't around.
When I go through my change, he claims most of it and I have to fight to
keep the few that I want.) There were two rolls that were 2004 D cents.
I picked through and kept the best, then released the rest into
circulation. The rest are largely from the seventies. If it wasn't for
the pitting and corrosion, some of them would be some really nice coins!
As it is, I'm finding very few worth saving. :-(

They have a coin machine, and she has promised to let me buy a $50 bag
of cents off of it once she starts getting paychecks and we catch back up
from having to pay for daycare up front in order for her to start
working... I'm real excited to see what I might find in the 'local
collection'. (They don't roll their own coin, but send the bags to the
armored company and then buy rolls back from them.)

Well, I'm rambling when all I really meant to say was that she is
DEFINATELY A KEEPER!!!

- Andrew W Applegarth

I may have to cross post this to a newsgroup she actually reads... I
could use some extra brownie points!
Old April 28th 04, 06:30 PM
Eric Babula

Andrew W Applegarth wrote in
:

I got $5 in rolls of cents to go through from her bank a while
back.
I've only had time to go through $4 so far. (I have a nearly 3
year old and a nearly 6 month old, so time is precious. Plus, my 3
year old son likes coins, so I have to look at the 'good' stuff
when he isn't around. When I go through my change, he claims most
of it and I have to fight to keep the few that I want.) There were
two rolls that were 2004 D cents. I picked through and kept the
best, then released the rest into circulation. The rest are
largely from the seventies. If it wasn't for the pitting and
corrosion, some of them would be some really nice coins! As it is,
I'm finding very few worth saving. :-(

Blasphemy! You better watch your mouth, or Alan will have your head!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Old April 28th 04, 06:49 PM
Alan Williams

Eric Babula wrote:

Andrew W Applegarth wrote in
:

I got $5 in rolls of cents to go through from her bank a while
back.
I've only had time to go through $4 so far. (I have a nearly 3
year old and a nearly 6 month old, so time is precious. Plus, my 3
year old son likes coins, so I have to look at the 'good' stuff
when he isn't around. When I go through my change, he claims most
of it and I have to fight to keep the few that I want.) There were
two rolls that were 2004 D cents. I picked through and kept the
best, then released the rest into circulation. The rest are
largely from the seventies. If it wasn't for the pitting and
corrosion, some of them would be some really nice coins! As it is,
I'm finding very few worth saving. :-(

Blasphemy! You better watch your mouth, or Alan will have your head!

Nah. I'd have to concur. When I search 10 rolls of cents, I always have
$4.50 rerolled and about 30 loose when I've finished. 20 of 500 is
about one in 25 that I actually 'can'. Maybe one in 500 gets it's own
living space in a mylar.

Alan
'liberal adoption policy, but not all-inclusive'
Old April 28th 04, 07:05 PM
Andrew W Applegarth

Alan Williams wrote in
:

Eric Babula wrote:

[...]

If it hadn't been for the vedigris (sp?), I would have had a much
higher save rate. I may have Irish blood in me, but when it comes to
coins, I fear the green! Since the coins were nothing rare, they didn't
seem like good examples to keep.

Plus, how many coins I keep tends to be inversely proportional to how
often it happens and/or how many rolls she brings home for me...

- Andrew W Applegarth
Old April 28th 04, 10:34 PM
Gary Loveless

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:23:56 -0000, Andrew W Applegarth
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like its nice to have a wife that works at the bank and knows
her husband is into coin collecting!! Congrats on your "FIND" !!

Gary

BUY/SELL/TRADE/GIVE AWAY your 8tracks -- Nov. listing [email protected] 8 Track Tapes 3 January 9th 05 02:41 PM
Old (not touched since sixties) How do I find a good home for this collection w/o being taken? Raymond A. Miller Worldwide Stamps 0 June 5th 04 07:56 AM
Hallmark Christmas Ornaments Beverly Wilder General 0 May 14th 04 10:38 PM
Finally a Paper Find at the Bank Scottishmoney Coins 3 February 12th 04 02:31 AM
Best places to find silver in circulation Sleestak Coins 11 January 26th 04 04:28 PM