How much of a premium would an unopened 1958 proof set be?

Old August 4th 03, 01:45 AM
Ron

Default How much of a premium would an unopened 1958 proof set be?

So, if I get an unopened proof set (in this case, 1958) and am getting
an opened one, should I keep the unopened one "unopened"? Is the
premium on it worth that?
I have heard horror stories that people get older proof sets that,
when finally opened, aren't what they were said to be (not the right
year of coins, etc).

I didn't buy the set unopened necessarily....bought it as a 1958 proof
set, but the seller, who I have bought from before, had a few unopened
ones that they got in a batch of sets so sent me one.

Now, I am thinking of opening it to check on the coins (and see if
there is anything worthwhile to crack out), but, if the premium for
unopened is worthwhile (envelope shows no signs of tampering that I
could tell), then I can leave it alone.

Thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Ron
Old August 4th 03, 10:53 PM
DONDI3

In article , Ron
writes:

[...]

Probably best to open it and be sure, if you can still return it. Those
envelopes have been widely available for some time now and "unopened" proof
sets are very suspect these days.

dondi3
DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.
Old August 5th 03, 07:59 PM
Dai Lun

Ron wrote in message . ..
[...]

Since I just received 2 sets of quarters in one of my 2003 Silver
Proof Sets, I don't trust the mint anymore and I'm Opening all of
mine.

DaiLun
Old August 6th 03, 01:48 AM
JSTONE9352

I have heard horror stories that people get older proof sets that,
when finally opened, aren't what they were said to be (not the right
year of coins, etc).

It does happen. Sometimes the envelope is steamed open and the coin(s)
checked and if there is something like
a high grade cameo Franklin half dollar that coin could be replaced by a
washer. No reputable dealer would do
this but a fly by night dealer set up at
coin show might try to pull off a stunt
like this.
Old August 6th 03, 03:37 AM
Ron

Well, I debated this back and forth with myself (like I have for the
last 2 weeks) and finally, around midnight or so, I did open it. I am
sad, yet happy, I did.

Sad because the set is no longer sealed
Happy because it was 1958 set in there and they do look very nice.
Not dcam I don't think, but a set of no problem coins that are very
pretty (esp the frankie)

So far, I have been morgans and proof sets (with SAEs).
Now, I have started to like the jeffs and the frankies as well (I
don't think I will ever be competition for LucyBop over on the PCGS
board though...that is one Frankie loving woman ).

Old August 6th 03, 06:47 PM
WinWinscenario

So far, I have been morgans and proof sets (with SAEs).
Now, I have started to like the jeffs and the frankies as well (I
don't think I will ever be competition for LucyBop over on the PCGS
board though...that is one Frankie loving woman ).

I was cool to Frank at first; it seems like such a dull, uninspired coin when
you see a well-worn one in circulation. But as I started to accumulate gem
Franks, my ardor grew. It's a beautiful set, one of my favorites!

Regards,
Tom