Some stamps ~ a collateral collection.

Old May 15th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Some stamps ~ a collateral collection.

This is my entire collection of Nauru.
140 stamps collected over 7 years.

This collection happened whilst I was collecting other stamps.
From phossick boxes, trades and odd issues in albums.

Scanned and thrown in the back of a stock book, they
are now forming a more composite "look" I havn't had the time to
name them for my database.

140 with approx another 400 to go till cut off of 1993
I may start looking at the odd ones at auction

I scan and keep the earlies (eg the freighter "Century")
to id perfs and papers some time later when I have the time.

A whopping 1.5Mb scan
enjoy if you like Oceanica
http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?fil...cijkVCO0Jf.jpg

Old May 15th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ryan Davenport

rodney wrote:
This is my entire collection of Nauru.
140 stamps collected over 7 years.

Nauru has a very interesting modern history. It's the smallest
independent republic in the world. Once rich in phosphate deposits, the
residents collected royalty payments from the phosphate mining companies
that were conducting mining operations on the island. For a time,
Nauruans had one of the highest per capita incomes in the entire world.
Eventually the mining companies dug up almost all the phosphate, said
"thanks very much" and went back home, leaving a stripped island with no
other resources. The island's national bank is insolvent, there are
virtually no assets and there is 90% unemployment. They tried becoming
a money laundering centre, but that didn't work out so well, so then
they hosted an Australian detention centre to hold asylum seekers
offshore, but the Aussies closed that.
What a mess, not exactly a Pacific island paradise.

Ryan
Old May 15th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Ryan Davenport" wrote in message

Nauru has a very interesting modern history. It's the smallest
independent republic in the world. Once rich in phosphate deposits, the
residents collected royalty payments from the phosphate mining companies
that were conducting mining operations on the island. For a time,
Nauruans had one of the highest per capita incomes in the entire world.
Eventually the mining companies dug up almost all the phosphate, said
"thanks very much" and went back home, leaving a stripped island with no
other resources. The island's national bank is insolvent, there are
virtually no assets and there is 90% unemployment. They tried becoming a
money laundering centre, but that didn't work out so well, so then they
hosted an Australian detention centre to hold asylum seekers offshore, but
the Aussies closed that.
What a mess, not exactly a Pacific island paradise.

The phosphate revenues apparently served to something.

"Literacy on the island is 96%, education is compulsory for children from 6
to 15 years old (school years 1-10), and two non-compulsory years are taught
(years 11 and 12).[42] There is a campus of the University of the South
Pacific on the island; before the campus was built, students traveled to
Australia for their university education." Not bad for a population under
10,000.

The same source as above: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru

--
Victor Manta

Old May 16th 09, 01:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Yes indeed, Ryan.
It seems a failure of modern democracy, and I am not sure its a problem
of the politician or the people. (or the press)
Western Australia is suffering similarly, we are exporting millions of tons
of Iron ore, and I don't see a great deal done with the receipts.

Perth is parched, whilst north of us oceans of fresh water fall into the
sea.
It is May and we still have had no rain.
So what do we do? build a desalination plant.

The last guy here of any note, built a pipeline to the goldfields
that has lasted a century, he was so lambasted, he ended up committing
suicide.