Early football heroes stamps

Old October 13th 03, 02:13 PM
Doug Spade

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message

Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:30:41 GMT
Subject: Early football heroes stamps

Heroes... Not! "Early Footbal Stars"... better title. I hate this hero
this and hero that. The word is misused to make a person who is a

genuine
hero dimished and neglible. I bet Bob Ingram would second that.
Dave (not a hero either)

Amen! Heroes save lives or save the day at great personal risk, sometimes
losing their own lives in the process.

We misuse a great many words these days. Most "tragedies" that we hear

about
on the evening news are not tragedies, but misfortunes. If you want to

know
to understand tragedy, read Shakespeare.

Even worse are the "minor incidents" that are reported; what is not
mentioned is that the "minor incidents" are sometimes savage assaults

which
left victims bleeding and semi-conscious on the ground.

We are often told of "shocking" neighborhood crime. Shock generally

requires
medical or psychological intervention, and results from severe

psychological
and/or physical trauma. A purse snatching might well shock the elderly

owner
of the purse, and perhaps witnesses, but the news reader? Hardly.

Here in British Columbia this summer, TV talkingweatherheads used the

words
"beautiful day" to describe virtually every hot day without clouds. Of
course the lack of clouds meant no rain, for a record number of weeks, and
resulted in severe water restrictions and the worst forest fires in

history.
I don't think those days were very "beautiful" to the hundreds of families
who lost their homes.

And then there are "landslide" political victories in which the winning
party garners .5% more votes than the losers, or even fewer popular votes.

I sometimes wonder what words the talking heads are going to use when news
truly is shocking, when something is actually beautiful, when something
really is tragic.

Bob

--
A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times
before lying down. --Robert Benchley

Totally agree! Hyperbole rules on TV today (was there ever a time when it
didn't?). I usually managed to avoid it when I was news director at a local
radio station. My solution was to let the newsmakers be the ones to use
hyperbole. Problem is, "beautiful," "landslide," "shocking," and the like
are all so subjective, I'm not sure they are ever totally quantifiable.
Maybe it's a carryover from advertising where everything has to be bigger
and better. Likewise, it's just not news unless shouting, screaming
adjectives modify the event. Yes it is a sad state of affairs.

Now let me tell you about the crisis in stamp collecting, which is directly
tied to the horrible overabundance of crass issues being foisted upon the
public by the greedy USPS thanks to the co-conspirators at the

Mike

FS- Autographed Cards SSTCMX Football (US) 0 July 15th 04 08:44 PM
FS- Trading Cards SSTCMX Hockey 0 June 27th 04 09:30 PM
FS- Trading Cards SSTCMX Hockey 0 June 17th 04 02:29 PM
FS- Hockey Cards SSTCMX Hockey 0 February 6th 04 08:48 PM
UD INSERTS @ 80% OFF US George Cronn Hockey 0 August 20th 03 08:29 PM