`Ping' the beekeep

Old July 4th 03, 04:47 PM
Ian

Default `Ping' the beekeep

You might be interested in this one....thought i'd mention it just in
case.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=53 9

Old July 4th 03, 05:46 PM
Stujoe

In article , Ian spoke
thusly...
You might be interested in this one....thought i'd mention it just in
case.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=53 9

Heh, heh. Nice coin but I would have shoo'ed the bug away before
taking the picture.

Actually, I would like to know the history of that and know why the
bee is on the design.

--
Stu Miller
Read about Coins in the News:
Old July 4th 03, 06:29 PM
Ian

Stujoe wrote:
In article , Ian spoke
thusly...

You might be interested in this one....thought i'd mention it just in
case.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=53 9

Heh, heh. Nice coin but I would have shoo'ed the bug away before
taking the picture.

Actually, I would like to know the history of that and know why the
bee is on the design.

Can't tell you much about that particular jeton, but given that bees are
associated with being `industrious' as in `the hive of industry', and
given that the jeton is made for the Society for the Encouragement of
Industry (or hard work)..a bee would be a natural choice of
symbolry...blah blah blah... ( ok so I can kick fog along with the
rest....) :-)

Many jetons have dates on them which mainly relate to when whatever
society was founded or act passed enabling the foundation..... etc, so
it's important to know that some jetons were produced years after the
date which is on them.

This jeton doesn't have a date as such. However, in the period 1832
-1880 all jetons have a mark on the edge whic indicates the period in
which the jeton was struck. This one has a very tiny `lampe' on the edge
according to the description (looks like an Alladins lamp) which
signifies that it was struck between the years 1832 -1841. That is,
during the reign of Louis Phillipe. Jetons without an edge mark are
generally understood to have been made prior to 1832. This one is a bona
fide 1832-41. (I can recommend the seller too!)

The french used the bee/ bee hive on numerous jetons, most notably on
the ones for the various `Caisse D'Epargnes' (savings banks). Some of
them thar french jetons can be quite stunning in design.

Ian

Old July 4th 03, 07:19 PM
Ian

Ankaaz wrote:
Ian wrote:

"The french used the bee/ bee hive on numerous jetons, most notably on the ones
for the various `Caisse D'Epargnes' (savings banks). Some of them thar french
jetons can be quite stunning in design."

Ian, you sure know your stuff.

aw shucks.....thanks...(blushes)....My strategy to look as if I know
more than I actually do must be working. ;-)

The bee symbol was ubiquitous in French Imperial design and decorated clothing,
furniture, wall coverings, etc. during the first and second empires.

Bzzzzz...

very prominent during the reign of Louis XIV (The `Sun' King). A number
of jetons of that period, in particular for the series `Secretaires Du
Roi' have bees swarming up to the sun (the king). Those ones always
remind me of flies /`hangers on' for some reason. I often wonder if that
particular designer back then had a sense of humour and was maybe making
a statement as to what he thought of the Secretaires du Roi (or `du Roy'
as they sometimes wrote).

Ian

Anka Z
Co-president of the once thriving, but now defunct, Tommy John Fan Club.
Go, Lake County Captains!

Old July 4th 03, 10:53 PM
beekeep

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:47:04 +0100, Ian
wrote:

You might be interested in this one....thought i'd mention it just in
case.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=53 9

That's one my search engine missed since the bee wasn't mentioned in
the body.

Thanks

beekeep