USENET post cancellations

Old July 2nd 03, 05:27 PM
eXistenZ32

Default USENET post cancellations

Has anyone been noticing an exhorbitant amount of post
cancellations recently? My provider, RoadRunner, keeps
a 7 day interval of non-binary usenet groups. The way I've
been reading RCC is with a *nix client called slrn. I download
the headers and try to catch up during the day when I have a
break in work. Usually its no more than 3 hours from when
i download the headers until I have a chance to read them.

Since Monday, I've come across a LOT of messages where I
go to click the header, and my news server tells me the message
is no longer available. I don't think its a problem with my
news server, but I could be wrong.

Is anyone else noticing this? Anyone finding any of their
posts missing?

I'll post a followup sometime in the next 24 hours with information
about any posts that are missing.

--
______ ______
..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32
|_____||______||______|
Old July 2nd 03, 05:35 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 16:27:36 GMT, eXistenZ32 is
alleged to have written:

Has anyone been noticing an exhorbitant amount of post
cancellations recently? My provider, RoadRunner, keeps
a 7 day interval of non-binary usenet groups. The way I've
been reading RCC is with a *nix client called slrn. I download
the headers and try to catch up during the day when I have a
break in work. Usually its no more than 3 hours from when
i download the headers until I have a chance to read them.

Since Monday, I've come across a LOT of messages where I
go to click the header, and my news server tells me the message
is no longer available. I don't think its a problem with my
news server, but I could be wrong.

Is anyone else noticing this? Anyone finding any of their
posts missing?

I'll post a followup sometime in the next 24 hours with information
about any posts that are missing.

I'm not noticing any cancels here. I have noticed RR does not always keep as
much on their newsspool as their ads claim.

Bruce

Old July 2nd 03, 05:47 PM
eXistenZ32

In article 3f0309a8.11145215@newshost, Bruce Hickmott wrote:
I'm not noticing any cancels here. I have noticed RR does not always keep as
much on their newsspool as their ads claim.

Heh, odd. Most of the cancelled posts are yours.
And a good number contain AH related subjects.

Here is the listing of messages I had headers for, but
the messages were gone by the time I went to retrieve them.

I *think* these headers are 24 hours old at the very most:

- D 64:[J. A. McNern] ... Diane Hager, please explain this
Article 331931 unavailable.

- D 52:[Bruce Hickmo] .. Diane Hager, please explain this
Article 331946 unavailable.

- D 9:[Cliff ] ... Information Please
Article 331924 unavailable.

- D 22:[Michael R ] ..
Article 331934 unavailable.

- D 29:[Bruce Hickmo] ... Just in case anyone still doesn't believe thesourforu and AH are on and t...
Article 331945 unavailable.

- D 23:[Ran Shalgi ] ... Just in case anyone still doesn't believe thesourforu and AH are on and the same
Article 331923 unavailable.

- D 38:[Bruce Hickmo] . .. (Same thread as above)
Article 331947 unavailable.

- D 17:[Bruce Hickmo] .. (same thread as above)
Article 331939 unavailable.

- D 85:[oly2059 ] ... Mid-AM show in Rosemont
Article 331927 unavailable.

- D 60:[John Stone ] .. (same thread as above)
Article 331949 unavailable.

- D 11:[A.Gent ] .. Photo fun/fatigue
Article 331954 unavailable.

- D 16:[MIckey ] ... Quiz.... How close have you looked at Lincoln On The Cent?
Article 331928 unavailable.

Maybe they're only missing on my news server, in which case I'll need to
drop a note to support. Did these make their way up to other servers?

--
______ ______
Old July 2nd 03, 07:05 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 16:47:05 GMT, eXistenZ32 is
alleged to have written:

In article 3f0309a8.11145215@newshost, Bruce Hickmott wrote:
I'm not noticing any cancels here. I have noticed RR does not always keep as
much on their newsspool as their ads claim.

Heh, odd. Most of the cancelled posts are yours.
And a good number contain AH related subjects.

Here is the listing of messages I had headers for, but
the messages were gone by the time I went to retrieve them.

Google still has them, as does our local spool. I suspect RR. I doubt that
Clayton is smart enough to forge cancels.

Bruce

Old July 2nd 03, 07:45 PM
eXistenZ32

In article 3f031b12.15602475@newshost, Bruce Hickmott wrote:
Google still has them, as does our local spool. I suspect RR. I doubt that
Clayton is smart enough to forge cancels.

hehe, alright. Just checking. Just what caught my eye was so many of them were
AH related.

Thanks

--
______ ______
Old July 2nd 03, 07:55 PM
Bob Flaminio

eXistenZ32 wrote:
Has anyone been noticing an exhorbitant amount of post
cancellations recently?

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but Comcast recently
started moving all their servers from the old attbi -- I signed onto the
attbi news server this morning, and all posts had disappeared, replaced
by a single Comcast post telling me to change servers.

Usually I connect to Usenet via news.cis.dfn.de, and there I haven't
noticed anything amiss.

--
Bob

Old July 3rd 03, 02:26 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

Bob Flaminio wrote:

eXistenZ32 wrote:
Has anyone been noticing an exhorbitant amount of post
cancellations recently?

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but Comcast recently
started moving all their servers from the old attbi -- I signed onto the
attbi news server this morning, and all posts had disappeared, replaced
by a single Comcast post telling me to change servers.

Usually I connect to Usenet via news.cis.dfn.de, and there I haven't
noticed anything amiss.

--
Bob

I had a similar experience. I used to use Agent, but couldn't figger
out
how to do it, so I am using Netscape, I think. Aram.
Old July 3rd 03, 03:04 AM
Joe Fischer

:
:Since Monday, I've come across a LOT of messages where I
:go to click the header, and my news server tells me the message
:is no longer available. I don't think its a problem with my
:news server, but I could be wrong.
:
:Is anyone else noticing this? Anyone finding any of their
:posts missing?
:
: I'm not noticing any cancels here. I have noticed RR does not always keep as
: much on their newsspool as their ads claim.

It isn't very likely that any posts are cancelled,
only the poster can do that (usually).

But I didn't get the original in this thread,
and have been seeing almost half of all posts on
several newsgroups missing.

So there probably is nothing sinister going on,
it is most likely just problems along the line.
Nobody could possibly object to RCC articles
and subject matter.

Joe Fischer

--
3
Old July 3rd 03, 02:21 PM
Dik T. Winter

In article eXistenZ32 writes:
In article 3f0309a8.11145215@newshost, Bruce Hickmott wrote:
I'm not noticing any cancels here. I have noticed RR does not always keep as
much on their newsspool as their ads claim.

Heh, odd. Most of the cancelled posts are yours.
And a good number contain AH related subjects.

Here is the listing of messages I had headers for, but
the messages were gone by the time I went to retrieve them.

Message-ID's are best to trace.

- D 52:[Bruce Hickmo] .. Diane Hager, please explain this
Article 331946 unavailable.

Here there are 5 articles by Bruce in that thread, posted 30 June and
1 July (GMT):

But apparently there are no cancels for these.
Old July 3rd 03, 04:26 PM
eXistenZ32

In article , Dik T. Winter wrote:
Here there are 5 articles by Bruce in that thread, posted 30 June and
1 July (GMT):

But apparently there are no cancels for these.

Heh, my bad. I blame roadrunner then

--
..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32
| -__||__ || __| e@: usenet-at.-transparentmeat-dot-net

FAQ: For "Discussions" post as many times as you want in rec.collecting.cards.discuss Jeff Jacob Cards:- non-sport 4 November 6th 04 06:22 AM
FAQ POST Ken In Texas Juke Boxes 0 August 21st 04 03:50 AM
136633320815 money 136633320815 RASCH 8 Track Tapes 0 February 14th 04 07:23 PM
884336417077 money 884336417077 RASCH 8 Track Tapes 0 February 14th 04 07:23 PM
478270358356 money 478270358356 RASCH Autographs 0 February 14th 04 07:23 PM