Help Me To Understand

Old July 3rd 03, 04:27 AM
AintNoReid

(plicated) wrote:

1) Reid vs the Anti Reids

Hey, watch it....that's a little too close to home

Hey Aunty....was AntiReid already taken?

Yer not gettin' my screen name.

Old July 3rd 03, 12:07 PM
so ne

Mark wrote:
The rattling/bickering/arguing/flamewars are a constant in any usenet
group. Actually, this group is better than a lot I've looked at. The
trick is to learn to skip the threads that don't interest you and pick
out the useful stuff. Eventually you'll learn what posters and/or what
subjects are most likely to precipitate an "extended discourse" and
avoid wasting your reading time. All in all, I've found this group to be
=A0=A0=A0=A0an invaluable tool. A lot of experienced and knowledgeable
people post here,so I suggest you stick with it. It will be worth your
time, and a little info gleaned from this group can save you a bundle
down the road.
HTH,
Mark
Mark is right. This is an amazing group for info. There are "high
end" buyers and sellers and there are "low end" collectors.
i am a low end, circulation
IMHO when you see a statement and a bunch of contradictory responses,
look more carefully at the original. One persons opinion may not be the
facts but just an opinion.
If you have questions about a possible purchase, a link with a pic is
great with this group. Altho, they will tell you grading a coin from a
pic is not always accurate, it doesn't hurt to get a few grades from
these folks. not me They also have fantastic websites that you can
learn from.
Welcome, figure this to be a family. No family agrees ALL the time.
Doris
mmS hard to find in circulation

Calling all Australians!!!!
Please read. ta
http://home.iprimus.com.au/wpbalcombe/

Old July 3rd 03, 01:45 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 00:18:33 GMT, "Maja" is alleged to
have written:

Hi Bruce,

For myself, I like half cents, Early proofs and liberty 5c patterns. What

do you collect?

Well, I collected a hodgepodge of things back in the 70's. And, for whatever
reason, I then did very little collecting for about 25 years. Just recently,
something has stirred up an avid interest within me again, and I've just
finished gathering a fairly good set of circulated Barber quarters. (All
except for the three most expensive in that series.)

Bet that was a challenge. Finding circ Barber's for some dates is tougher than
finding uncs.

More recently, something has flung a craving on me to collect some Morgan
dollars. I've just this week finished gathering all of the 26 New Orleans
minted Morgans, mostly in AU-BU, except for 3 in XF. This has turned out to
be a really nice set, and one that I enjoy looking at. I don't have anything
definite in mind to collect, though I may try to put together a nice type
set of some kind.

An interesting set is a complete set of new orleans coinage. Except for the
1838-O half, all are available and most are underpriced for their rarity. TRY to
find a 1906-O $10. That's a rare coin, but it'll only cost you maybe $10 more
than a 1906 in a similar grade.

Try an early proof type set. I'm working on one now, it's a challenge and an
enjoyable one. I'd never have learned about matte proofs if not for trying to
put together that set. Or satin finish proofs. Or roman finish proofs. Or
"specimen" proofs. Or the difference between a proof and a first strike.

Bruce

Old July 3rd 03, 07:39 PM
Maja

Hi Bruce,

An interesting set is a complete set of new orleans coinage.

A very good thought, indeed! I just may embark on such a quest! Thank you!

-Maja

Old July 4th 03, 12:02 AM
Nick Knight

In mQUMa.3372$I8.2218@rwcrnsc53, on 07/03/2003
at 11:54 AM, "Maja" said:

Eventually you'll learn what posters and/or what subjects are most likely

to precipitate an "extended discourse" and avoid wasting your reading
time.

Oh, so true! I've *already* learned some of what you mention here.

You can always take a look he

http://rcc.servehttp.com/

For some straight-shooting opinions of the dark side here. You've no doubt
already "met" a couple of the Real Winners here. But as long as you're
"looking to understand", you might as well get a balanced picture.

Nick
Old July 4th 03, 06:47 PM
Fred A. Murphy

On 2-Jul-2003, Chrysta Wilson wrote:

Maja has been posting legitimately here for over two weeks. Methinks
she's for real, and that if you paid more attention you'd know that too.
Methinks she may also have your number already.

Interestingly, deja only shows posts from 7/2 to date.

--

"The starting pay for a pilot at American Eagle is $16,800 a year. Never
let someone fly you up in the air who's making less than the kid at Taco
Old July 4th 03, 06:51 PM
Fred A. Murphy

On 2-Jul-2003, Chrysta Wilson wrote:

Maja has been posting legitimately here for over two weeks. Methinks
she's for real, and that if you paid more attention you'd know that too.
Methinks she may also have your number already.

Oops. Didn't realize Maja changed email addresses, which didn't show up on
the original deja search,. There was also a post by MAJA about a year ago.
That one was a major MAJA as opposed to a mynah Maja. :^)

Old July 4th 03, 08:34 PM
mark

Fred A. Murphy wrote:

On 2-Jul-2003, Chrysta Wilson wrote:

Maja has been posting legitimately here for over two weeks. Methinks
she's for real, and that if you paid more attention you'd know that too.
Methinks she may also have your number already.

Interestingly, deja only shows posts from 7/2 to date.

Interestingly, the search I did went back to June 15.

Old July 4th 03, 08:38 PM
mark

Fred A. Murphy wrote:

On 2-Jul-2003, Chrysta Wilson wrote:

Maja has been posting legitimately here for over two weeks. Methinks
she's for real, and that if you paid more attention you'd know that too.
Methinks she may also have your number already.

Oops. Didn't realize Maja changed email addresses, which didn't show up on
the original deja search,. There was also a post by MAJA about a year ago.
That one was a major MAJA as opposed to a mynah Maja. :^)

oops,posted a reply to your last post before seeing this post.
my bad.

Old July 4th 03, 09:26 PM
Ed. Stoebenau

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:40:39 -0400, Alan & Erin Williams
wrote:

"Ed. Stoebenau" wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:41:28 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams
wrote:

I agree with you, Ran. There is no controversy in the ng about ACG.

Sure there is, incompetent vs fraudulent, or some of both.

Really? You think so? I thought the incompetence defense was thoroughly
discredited. I know I've rejected it.

Well, there might be somebody still. Me, I'm in the bunch of
fraud and a good measure of incompetence camp.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143