Wacky prices on 'The Da Vinci Code'

Old September 14th 04, 05:27 PM
Tom L-M

Default Wacky prices on 'The Da Vinci Code'

Just seen Dan Brown's bestseller in UK first edition go through the £100
barrier on ebay UK - made me rather pleased as I paid £8 for mine
pre-ordered from Amazon - and still has the original £10.99 sticker.

So the question is, should I sell mine today, or wait for the film next
year - anyone have any idea how small the print run for the first bantam
edition was?

Cheers,

Tom Lintern-Mole

Old September 14th 04, 11:28 PM
Dick Stephens

"Tom L-M" wrote in message
Just seen Dan Brown's bestseller in UK first edition go through the £100
barrier on ebay UK - made me rather pleased as I paid £8 for mine
pre-ordered from Amazon - and still has the original £10.99 sticker.

So the question is, should I sell mine today, or wait for the film next
year - anyone have any idea how small the print run for the first bantam
edition was?

Cheers,

Tom Lintern-Mole

It's a good question. My observation, not based on anything really
substantive, is that sometimes works of popular fiction which have a spike
in value don't stay at those lofty heights. So the value of the book might
indeed drop after the movie. Before the movie? Dunno.

Maybe a fairly recent example would be Cold Mountain. I have no idea what a
true first is selling for now, but I think there may have been a sag in
value after it dropped off the best-seller lists but then went up again when
the movie was released.

Another example I'm aware of is The Bridges of Madison County, which spiked
way up in the $150-$200 US range and stayed there through the movie; I've
seen true first printings of this now not selling at $20. One difference
there is that Bridges is not good literature; Cold Mountain is arguably a
fine American Civil War novel and Da Vinci seems to have spawned a new
interest in its subject.

Dick Stephens

Old September 15th 04, 04:39 AM
Jon Meyers

"EssAdmn" wrote...
"Tom L-M"...

Just seen Dan Brown's bestseller in UK first edition go through the £100
barrier on ebay UK...
So the question is, should I sell mine today, or wait for the film next
year - anyone have any idea how small the print run for the first bantam
edition was?

Who cares and whats this got to do with book collecting?

I presume you ask because you consider this a "bookseller" question, rather
than a "collector" question. But I daresay that most of us just-collectors
are not independently wealthy, and many of us finance our habits by selling
a few books when we can. So the sort of advice Tom is seeking is of
interest even to those of us who don't make a living selling books.

As to the original question, I'd say sell now. I don't think that books
that were already well known before the movie generally get much of a bump
when the film is released. Movies are more of an enhancement to the values
of books that were relatively obscure beforehand.

--
Jon Meyers
(To reply, lose

Old September 15th 04, 11:58 AM
Haunted River

"Tom L-M" wrote in message ...
Just seen Dan Brown's bestseller in UK first edition go through the £100
barrier on ebay UK - made me rather pleased as I paid £8 for mine
pre-ordered from Amazon - and still has the original £10.99 sticker.

So the question is, should I sell mine today, or wait for the film next
year - anyone have any idea how small the print run for the first bantam
edition was?

Cheers,

Tom Lintern-Mole

Interest will undoubtedly wane at some stage. So sell when it peaks.

CB

(Wondering if the Pope has instructed the Vatican to buy up every
available copy for destruction purposes......)
Old September 18th 04, 02:48 PM
RWF

"Tom L-M" wrote in message
Just seen Dan Brown's bestseller in UK first edition go through the £100
barrier on ebay UK - made me rather pleased as I paid £8 for mine
pre-ordered from Amazon - and still has the original £10.99 sticker.

So the question is, should I sell mine today, or wait for the film next

Don't be greedy, sell now - you can never go broke making a profit.

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old September 18th 04, 06:14 PM
Tom L-M

Don't be greedy, sell now - you can never go broke making a profit.

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page
http://users.arczip.com/fwdixon

Agreed - just playing the waiting game on eBay right now.

Cheers,

Tom L-M