Don't use stamps ...

Old October 29th 07, 10:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Default Don't use stamps ...

Sung by Pitney-Houston??

groetjes, Rein

Op Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:56:16 +0100 schreef Blair (TC)
:

ADDENDUM

In the french (FRP) newsgroup, it was reported that
the meter was identified as being from a UNIVERSAL
meter machine.:

Universal meter machines were products of:
Universal Stamping Machine Co. ,
Stamford , Connecticut, USA.

1918 Universal type (1 cent - green)
(NB. UPU colour)
http://www.worldmeterstamps.com/imag...reen_essay.jpg

1918 Universal type (2 cents - red)
(NB. UPU colour)
http://www.worldmeterstamps.com/imag.../red_essay.jpg

Their president was Walter H. Bowes, who,
in 1920, with Arthur Pitney, opened the
Pitney-Bowes Company. .

In 1923, you have a Universal model meter
machine, used, but sold by Whitney-Bowes.

Blair

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old October 29th 07, 10:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Pierre Courtiade" wrote in message

I am teasing you but I ALSO am not sure of the meaning :
Cancel and Date Stamp ???
Also, would it be possible to show us again the scan of Bob's cover you
are speaking of ???
All the best,
Pierre

Bonjour Pierre,
CDS Circular Date Stamp

Mr. Ingraham's cover.
http://cjoint.com/data/kDkzPkFSSE.htm

So we know No 106 belongs to "Ucopco" (salt division)

Cheers,
Rod.

Old October 29th 07, 11:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"rodney" wrote in message

So we know No 106 belongs to "Ucopco" (salt division)
Cheers,
Rod.

Oops,
someone spiked my drink.
So No 106 belongs to Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd (salt division)

Old October 29th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
"rodney" found these unused words:

"Pierre Courtiade" wrote in message

In France we call that EMA (for Empreinte de Machine à Affranchir -
Franking Machine Imprint) as we have no special word for it other than
that awful acronym (I hate acronyms !)
All the best,
Pierre

IAHTBA!
(I also hate those bloody acronyms

It would be interesting to know just
how they worked.
Bob Ingraham posted a scan in 2005
of a cover with imprint of 5 or 6 stamps
at 2.5d and one at 0.5d

How did they imprint the stamp without the CDS?
Why could they not set the meter at 18d ?
and just use 1 meter stamp/cds,
or are meters only intended for internal use?

Dunno about other places, but some only had set 'key' amounts.
The USPOD installed meters in larger PO's pre-WWII for the public to use.
Coins inserted, letter inserted, maked with the imprint and dropped into
internal mail bag.

Some of the info. in this thread has got me wondering about these machines.
In my working days I used two franking machines: two different models by the
same company: Pitney Bowes; one relatively small and one heavy-duty. They
both had a number-pad which allowed us to set the amount for franking.

From what I have been reading, it appears that this was not always the case
and that earlier on the user had to "stamp" the envelope any number of times
to meet the required amount. My curiosity is when and by whom the
number-pad -- the changeable amount -- was introduced? I have been through
the Pitney-Bowes Canada site but I don't really think it's the kind of
information they would bother including on their webpages.

Just curious!
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Old October 29th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 29, 6:33 am, "rodney" wrote:
"Pierre Courtiade" wrote in message

I am teasing you but I ALSO am not sure of the meaning :
Cancel and Date Stamp ???
Also, would it be possible to show us again the scan of Bob's cover you
are speaking of ???
All the best,
Pierre

Bonjour Pierre,
CDS Circular Date Stamp

Mr. Ingraham's cover.http://cjoint.com/data/kDkzPkFSSE.htm

So we know No 106 belongs to "Ucopco" (salt division)

Cheers,
Rod.

Some meters had a fixed value and some had maximum values,
so for high values, they made multiple impressions. 2 1/2 d was
the international , non British Commonwealth rate.
The rate is 1 shilling sixpence. That was the Airmail rate to USA.

They made the part meter impression by overlapping the envelope
with a piece of paper to block the date part. (I have seen it done)

It appears to me that the cover was addressed to the Ucopco
(a division of Imperial Chemicals) and that Imperial Chemical
Industries owned the meter.

Cheers
Blair

Old October 30th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message

Some meters had a fixed value and some had maximum values,
so for high values, they made multiple impressions. 2 1/2 d was
the international , non British Commonwealth rate.
The rate is 1 shilling sixpence. That was the Airmail rate to USA.
They made the part meter impression by overlapping the envelope
with a piece of paper to block the date part. (I have seen it done)

That sounds so obvious when explained Thanks.
That about clears up that little query.

1s6d seems expensive for 1946.

I hadn't realised you had to place coins in
to activate the machine!
I assumed you metered your mail and internal
mechanics tallied the cost, and you paid
when the machine was returned to the PO
(end of month or when the preset amount was reached)

I can imageine the weight after a swag or pennies and happenies.

Old October 30th 07, 08:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

rodney wrote :
Bonjour Pierre,
CDS Circular Date Stamp