(RCSD) Blood and Fire.

Old October 26th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default (RCSD) Blood and Fire.

BLOOD AND FIRE

The aim, according to its Magazine, 'The War Cry", was "to
carry the Blood of Christ and the Fire of the Holy Ghost into
every part of the world." And this aim has been carried out ever
since the Salvation Army was formed.

Although given its name in 1878 it had started thirteen years
earlier with the Christian Mission meetings held by the Rev.
William Booth, helped by his wife Catherine, in the East End
of London. The founder devoted his life to the
under-privileged.

Social work soon grew. Practical help accompanied spiritual
ministration. To make more effective the "warfare" against
social evils, the organisation developed in a military form, with
uniforms, brass bands and religious songs. Salvationists were
often persecuted; mobs assaulted them; magistrates often
punished them although they were not the aggressors.

In 1965 three countries commemorated the Centenary of the
Salvation Army. Great Britain issued two stamps, The 3d.
stamp shows two bandsmen with a banner as background; the
1/6 stamp shows three Salvationists in uniform - two men and
a woman - and a banner.

Jamaica also issued two stamps. The 3d. stamp shows the
uniform cap worn by men; the 1/6 stamp shows a flag-bearer
and a drummer marching, with the globe in the background.
U.S.A.'s 5c. stamp is inscribed "1865-1965 Salvation Army.
One hundred years of service".

The Army is headed by a General, elected by a High Council of
Officers, holding office until death or resignation. William
Booth was the first General, and his son Bramwell and his
daughter Evangeline are among his successors.
In 1890 General Booth published a survey entitled "In Darkest
England and the Way Out", describing the terrible conditions in
the slums. From then on the Army was accepted and authorities
made use of its facilities. Today its spiritual and social
activities have spread to countries all over the world.

Switzerland's 1958 "Publicity Issue" contains four stamps, one
of which - the 40c. - commemorated the "75th Anniversary
of the Salvation Army in Switzerland". It shows the familiar
bonnet which was worn by women Salvationists. In 1967
Denmark issued a single stamp commemorating "The Salvation
Army", the stamp bearing a rose with, behind it, what appears
to be a source of light.
To Salvationists, everyone, of whatever class, colour or creed,
is a "brother for whom Christ died".
By
WALTER PARKER

http://cjoint.com/data/kAcVUez0w0.htm

(The lower label originates according to Blair and Rein
possibly Switzerland, and is cancelled
Tusmore South Australia)

Old October 26th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Imterestimg Rodney.

Here is a neat little website that shows
some sixty one Salvation Army related
stamps, issued by 39 countries.

http://briefmarken.aaj.de/

I am sure that there are more to be located.

Blair

Old October 26th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message

Here is a neat little website that shows
some sixty one Salvation Army related
stamps, issued by 39 countries.
http://briefmarken.aaj.de/
I am sure that there are more to be located.
Blair

Yes, a very neat site, very discreet, no "home" or reference
to the author/designer.
I note the war on social evils continues,
but has lost the velvet glove.
I think his quotation of not listing personalised
stamps will be listed more and more on sites.
What is meant by "Swiss franchise stamps"
in regard to the Salvo's Blair?

Old October 26th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 25, 10:00 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
Here is a neat little website that shows
some sixty one Salvation Army related
stamps, issued by 39 countries.
http://briefmarken.aaj.de/
I am sure that there are more to be located.
Blair

Yes, a very neat site, very discreet, no "home" or reference
to the author/designer.
I note the war on social evils continues,
but has lost the velvet glove.
I think his quotation of not listing personalised
stamps will be listed more and more on sites.
What is meant by "Swiss franchise stamps"
in regard to the Salvo's Blair?

Franchise stamps are given or sold cheaply to certain
charities to frank their correspondence. ie The Red Cross.

Germany - Nazi Party Franchise stamps
http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/aa/54/15e5_1.JPG
http://i12.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/b9/7d/afc0_1.JPG

Portugal - Red Cross Franchise stamps
http://www.currenttechgroup.com/~dbo...ture%20550.JPG

France - soldiers letters franked with Military Franchise stamp
http://www.mayoph.com/images2/02d015.jpg
http://www.mayoph.com/images2/00d275.jpg

Belgium - Prisoners of War franchise stamps
http://www.cinderellas.info/wittcoll/images/106521.jpg

Franchise stamps of the Swiss Post Office for charity organizations
like the Salvation Army
http://briefmarken.aaj.de/bilder-gro...iz-1911-6g.jpg
http://briefmarken.aaj.de/bilder-gro...iz-1927-3g.jpg
http://briefmarken.aaj.de/bilder-gro...iz-1935-2g.jpg

Blair

Old October 26th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hello,

I am the responsible for the mentioned website http://briefmarken.aaj.de

Rodney, at the end of the site is the "Impressum" with contact
information...

And Blair, I don't think that more Salvation Army stamps exist...

By the way, I am a Salvation Army officer from Germany, responsible
for this social institution in Nuremberg: http://www.sozialwerk-nuernberg.de

Archie

Old October 27th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 26, 3:20 pm, wrote:
Hello,

I am the responsible for the mentioned websitehttp://briefmarken.aaj.de

Rodney, at the end of the site is the "Impressum" with contact
information...

And Blair, I don't think that more Salvation Army stamps exist...

By the way, I am a Salvation Army officer from Germany, responsible
for this social institution in Nuremberg:http://www.sozialwerk-nuernberg.de

Archie

Hello Archie:

Welcome to RCSD. You have a very nice website. Congratulations.

Blair

Old October 27th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I am the responsible for the mentioned website http://briefmarken.aaj.de

Well, it's a "well done you"
very nice site Archie.

Rodney, at the end of the site is the "Impressum" with contact
information...

Not for this little black duck, Archie
I get a nil response.
(It's probably because I have a "Popup" blocker)

Care to explain your criteria parameters for your collection please?
Stamps, postmarks no franchise and no cinderellas?

Old October 27th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
ups.com...

Franchise stamps are given or sold cheaply to certain
charities to frank their correspondence. ie The Red Cross.
Germany - Nazi Party Franchise stamps

Thank you very much Blair.

Old October 27th 07, 10:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hello Rodney

Care to explain your criteria parameters for your collection please?
Stamps, postmarks no franchise and no cinderellas?

What I collect: Stamps (and blocks, sheets, variations, imperfs, etc.)
with Salvation Army people, history, signs, logos. Also FDC and covers
with these stamps.

And mail from the South African Salvation Army Post Office.

What I do not collect: Cinderellas and all kind of Salvation Army
commemorative postmarks on other stamps.

On my website nearly all of my items are presented...

Archie

Old October 27th 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

wrote in message
oups.com...
What I collect: Stamps (and blocks, sheets, variations, imperfs, etc.)
with Salvation Army people, history, signs, logos. Also FDC and covers
with these stamps.
And mail from the South African Salvation Army Post Office.

Thanks Archie.