Jukebox Bubblers?

Old August 26th 06, 09:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Scott Hildenbrand

Default Jukebox Bubblers?

Can someone please explain to me how bubblers work? Surely they're not
air based. I checked online all over the place and can't find anything
on the matter.

Is it like those old Christmas tree lights that bubble? If so, what
exactly is the liquid inside.. Last time I saw any of those I was 5 and
at my grandparents..
--

Scott--
Old August 26th 06, 10:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter

The tubes are filled with alcohol, and there is a small air space at the
that allows the alcohol to "boil". The alcohol boils at a very low
temperature, and the bubbles rise up to the top. The tubes MUST be sealed or
the alcohol will evaporate VERY quickly, or would boil so vigorously that it
would spill out all over.
Yes, it's exactly like the Christmas bubble lights. You can still buy the
Christmas bubble lights by the way.

Old August 27th 06, 07:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

On 2006-08-26 14:25:00 -0700, "Keith Stelter" said:

The tubes are filled with alcohol, and there is a small air space at
the that allows the alcohol to "boil". The alcohol boils at a very low
temperature, and the bubbles rise up to the top. The tubes MUST be
sealed or the alcohol will evaporate VERY quickly, or would boil so
vigorously that it would spill out all over.
Yes, it's exactly like the Christmas bubble lights. You can still buy
the Christmas bubble lights by the way.

Well, partly right, there is a low bowling point organic solvent, but
it was Methylene Chloride.

I took an original 1015 bubble tube to UBC (University of BC) for a
chemical analysis back in the mid-80's thinking that I would get a neon
glass company to remake these. This was before anyone else was remaking
the tubes - as far as I knew at the time. I also found out what dye was
used (cancer risk in the original stuff!), but have lost the report and
didn't write it down anywhere...sigh. It will turn up someday!

Oh, and it was too expensive for me to make these in the limited
quantities that I thought they would be needed (like 25 or so...).

John :-#)#

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in
message ...
Can someone please explain to me how bubblers work? Surely they're not
air based. I checked online all over the place and can't find anything
on the matter.

Is it like those old Christmas tree lights that bubble? If so, what
exactly is the liquid inside.. Last time I saw any of those I was 5 and
at my grandparents..
--

Scott--

120,000+ Newsgroups

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call
www.flippers.com "Old pinballers never die, they
just flip out."

Old August 27th 06, 02:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Skenny

Why couldnt one use water in the tubes and a small aquarium pump to "blow"
the bubbles? If you could seal the pump inside the tubes at the top, hidden
inside the cabinet and above the water level, then I dont hink you would
have to worry about evaporation. I could see that you might have a problem
with algea growing on the inside of the tubes, so you may have to add
something like bleach to the water. And of course you would have to use
distilled water to keep from getting mineral build-up inside the tubes.
BTW, what were the tubes made of? Plastic or glass?

On 2006-08-26 14:25:00 -0700, "Keith Stelter" said:

[...]

Newsgroups
=----

--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's Jukes
Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call (604)872-5757

Old August 27th 06, 10:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter

In order for it to work it has to be completely sealed, and you can't inject
anything (like compressed air) into it from the outside. I guess in theory
you could do something like you are describing, but I would fear that it
would create excessive condensation inside the glass. Plus the fact that in
any kind of vending equipment you want to try to keep it as simple as
possible, and there's hardly anything as simple as a bubble tube!

On 2006-08-26 14:25:00 -0700, "Keith Stelter" said:

[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old August 27th 06, 11:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Scott Hildenbrand

Skenny wrote:
Why couldnt one use water in the tubes and a small aquarium pump to "blow"
the bubbles? If you could seal the pump inside the tubes at the top, hidden
inside the cabinet and above the water level, then I dont hink you would
have to worry about evaporation. I could see that you might have a problem
with algea growing on the inside of the tubes, so you may have to add
something like bleach to the water. And of course you would have to use
distilled water to keep from getting mineral build-up inside the tubes.
BTW, what were the tubes made of? Plastic or glass?

The tubes are made of glass. Anyway, you could do it with an air pump if
you wanted to rig instead of reproduce. Since I'm looking to build from
scratch I may do this. With an air pump, oil would need to be used in
the tubes and a gang valve put in place to regulate the air to each
tube. A one way valve would also be needed.

My thoughts in regards to this method.

Tube - Plastic tubing from a place like US Plastics.
Fluid - Transmission fluid, synthetic does not break down, slow bubble
travel.

At any rate, thanks all for the feedback on my info request.. It's
been very helpful!

Scott--
Old August 28th 06, 02:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Skenny

Let us know how that turns out, I am thinking of building a jukebox from
scratch. The bubblers would be really neat, but they could turn out like
crap, so if I had something to go by it would be real neat.
For the fluid, wonder how vegetable oil would do?
You can buy it in the store in gallon jugs.
It may break down after a while and stain the tubes though.

Old August 28th 06, 06:23 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Don Lanway

No, what you need is the clear liquid glycerin that they fill high pressure
gauges with... that stuff lasts forever.

Old August 28th 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Scott Hildenbrand

vegetable oil is organic and would break down, smell.. be better off
with something synthetic..

The idea is fairly sound.. I may just buy a cheap tube next time I'm at
PetsMart and play.. Will let you know..

Scott--

FAQ POST Ken In Texas Juke Boxes 0 August 21st 04 03:50 AM
Recommendations for shipping options available to have a jukebox shipped? David Gotto Juke Boxes 3 May 5th 04 10:39 PM
F.S. NSM PRESTIGE 160 JUKEBOX W/PARTS thevidkid Juke Boxes 0 April 8th 04 03:21 PM
Rowe Ami Jukebox Model 1100 gaston Juke Boxes 7 January 23rd 04 03:34 AM
FAQ Repost Ken In Texas Juke Boxes 1 January 8th 04 08:48 AM