Unknown coin

Old March 24th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
pindborg

Default Unknown coin

Hi

At a coin show I found this coin

http://www.geocities.com/karl1903/EP_1.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/karl1903/EP_2.JPG

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Best regards

Erik
Old March 24th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"pindborg" wrote in message
Hi

At a coin show I found this coin

http://www.geocities.com/karl1903/EP_1.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/karl1903/EP_2.JPG

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Best regards

Erik

It's a 3 Heller copper coin from the German state of Hesse-Cassel. KM-612.
Worth just a few dollars in this grade.

James

Old March 24th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
pindborg

On 24 Mar., 18:14, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"pindborg" wrote in message

Hi

At a coin show I found this coin

Hi

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I had not seen the Hesse-
Cassel state, but fortunately you solved it for me.

Best regards

Erik

Old March 24th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bgg

I decided that I needed to know what the German meant, so I went to
Google's translation site (http://translate.google.com/translate_t?
langpair=de|en), and entered this:

"kurhessische scheide munze"

Somehow, I have my doubts about the accuracy of the translation.
Old March 25th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"bgg" wrote in message
I decided that I needed to know what the German meant, so I went to
Google's translation site (http://translate.google.com/translate_t?
langpair=de|en), and entered this:

"kurhessische scheide munze"

Somehow, I have my doubts about the accuracy of the translation.

You're sure you entered "scheide munze" and not "scheisse munze" aren't you?

James

Old March 25th 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Christian Feldhaus

"Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"kurhessische scheide munze"

Somehow, I have my doubts about the accuracy of the translation.

You're sure you entered "scheide munze" and not "scheisse munze" aren't you?

Actually the word "Scheide", by itself, has various meanings, one of
which refers to a part of a woman's body where things can get in rather
than out. Try entering "Kurhessische Scheidemünze" instead.

Christian
Old March 25th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
1787[_2_]

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
"Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"kurhessische scheide munze"

Somehow, I have my doubts about the accuracy of the translation.

You're sure you entered "scheide munze" and not "scheisse munze" aren't
you?

Actually the word "Scheide", by itself, has various meanings, one of
which refers to a part of a woman's body where things can get in rather
than out. Try entering "Kurhessische Scheidemünze" instead.

Christian

Google: Kurhessische vagina coin
AltaVista: Cure-hessian fractional coin
translation2.paralink.com: Health resort-Hessian scabbard coin
Freetranslation.com: Cure Hessian sheath coin
InterTran: Kurhessische Scheidemünze
Dictionary.com: Kurhessische Scheidemünze
AppliedLanguage: Cure-hessian Scheidemünze

Presumably this means: Hessian fractional coin. But what does the "Kur"
modifier mean?

W.

Old March 25th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"1787" wrote in message

[...]

The Latin word "vagina" does indeed mean a sheath, or a scabbard, so things
are not as strange as they might seem at first blush. However, as a
language teacher I am always amused at how garbled the translation is when
done by a machine, which has no way to finesse the job. I always go to a
print dictionary, and in my Cassell's German Dictionary, "scheide munze" is
a phrase meaning "small change." The word Kur exists without or with the
umlaut. With the umlaut (Kür) it has to do with "election" and I would
imagine it had something to do with the fact that Hesse-Cassel was an
"electorate" at the time. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_Hesse
if you dare.

James

Old March 25th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
1787[_2_]

"1787" wrote in message

[...]

Danke. Experience with multiple languages is a real plus when collecting
world coins.

So, we have here a minor copper coin, 3 Heller, from the Hesse-Cassel
electorate of 1864, KM-612.

W.

Old March 25th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"1787" wrote in message

"1787" wrote in message

[...]

All we need is to note that it is also 1/120 (120 einen) of a thaler, and
the picture is complete.

James

Unknown Coin Ali Coins 1 July 20th 06 06:17 PM
unknown coin [email protected] Coins 1 July 10th 06 05:46 AM
Unknown coin?? note.boy Coins 1 July 22nd 04 03:18 PM
An unknown coin - please help me Trimbitas Sorin Coins 4 February 9th 04 04:14 PM
unknown coin ! dan Coins 4 January 15th 04 01:06 PM