Taking photos of a coin

Old July 18th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

Default Taking photos of a coin

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:10:26 -0400, Eric Tillery
wrote:

I'm not sure how much of this is going to apply to the OP unless he is
selling coins. As a collector I certainly want something larger than
400x400.

I understand. The OP's question is all-too typical of this type of
question: not sufficient information given to elicit really helpful
replies.

Instead of clearly specifying what he wants to do, what kind of
results he expects, and what the end-purpose of the images are, he
posts a vague question.

It's like asking "What kind of vehicle should I buy?" without telling
what he's going to use the vehicle for.

Your reasoning for wanting larger than 400 x 400 images is based on
your uses for the images. We don't know what his uses will be.

All I'm trying to do here is provide some general guidelines and
prompt him into expanding on what his needs are. I'm not recommending
the "best" way to go about buying a camera because the "best" way
depends on what will be done with the images.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old July 18th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:55:09 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

No matter how close I've had the lens to a coin lighting has never been a
problem, be it an SLR with a bellows attachment a few mm from the coin or a
digital camera a few cm from the coin.

The light source is always at a distance of 93,000,000 miles.

Yes, but where you're from the sun arrives at a different time. And
goes home earlier.

It's not necessary to be very close with a point and shoot in macro mode as
the zoom still operates, it does on mine but possibly not on all.

A proof coin taken through the sealed plastic case, hand held, not cropped.
Billy

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/4/5...31727667_o.jpg

The advantage of digital is that I can do the same thing...I can take
20 shots for the same price as one, know the results in minutes, and
pick the best. I don't have good luck without a tripod or other
stabilizing device. I either get a slight blur or find that I've held
the camera at an angle.

My home-made tripod-device:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...r213/stand.jpg
works fine for me. (That's not the camera I use. I put an old Minox
on the stand because I took the pictures with the camera I use)

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old July 18th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

wrote:

No matter how close I've had the lens to a coin lighting has never been a
problem, be it an SLR with a bellows attachment a few mm from the coin or
digital camera a few cm from the coin.

The light source is always at a distance of 93,000,000 miles.

Yes, but where you're from the sun arrives at a different time. And
goes home earlier.

Where I live there are many days where the sun fails to make an appearance
at all. :-)

The 50p picure was the third attempt as I had no desire to appear in it
reflected. Billy

Old July 18th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:20:30 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

The 50p picure was the third attempt as I had no desire to appear in it
reflected. Billy

Over in the newsgroup that shall not be named, you get points for
finding an eBay picture with the picture taker reflected in the
object. Bonus points for the picture taker being in his or her
underwear, and Double Bonus points for a nude photographer.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old July 18th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

wrote:

The 50p picure was the third attempt as I had no desire to appear in it
reflected. Billy

Over in the newsgroup that shall not be named, you get points for
finding an eBay picture with the picture taker reflected in the
object. Bonus points for the picture taker being in his or her
underwear, and Double Bonus points for a nude photographer.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

The NG populated by those with a single digit IQ all of whom are in my kill
file even if I do feel pity for them.

It must be very difficult for those selling silver objects to avoid
appearing in the reflection. Billy

Old July 18th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jim menning

http://web.archive.org/web/200608190...ifaq-pots.html

Old July 18th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:51:28 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

The 50p picure was the third attempt as I had no desire to appear in it
reflected. Billy

Over in the newsgroup that shall not be named, you get points for
finding an eBay picture with the picture taker reflected in the
object. Bonus points for the picture taker being in his or her
underwear, and Double Bonus points for a nude photographer.

The NG populated by those with a single digit IQ all of whom are in my kill
file even if I do feel pity for them.

Then you must killfile me straight away. I find it an interesting
group to read. Diversity and all of that. My main squeeze is a group
that focuses on English usage, but I like variety.

It must be very difficult for those selling silver objects to avoid
appearing in the reflection.

I've sold most of the sterling silver flatware that I've collected
over the years, but doing it was an education in photography. Even
using a softbox (my own design and creation, of course), lighting,
reflection, and glare spots are a challenge. Spoons, especially.

Paper money and stamps are a piece of cake.

Billy

You're in Scotland, right? Ever run across Auld Bob Peffers in your
newsgroup wanderings? When I was a regular in soc.culture.irish
(before it turned all political) there were many (welcome) cross-posts
from soc.culture.scottish. Auld Bob's were a delight.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old July 18th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jim menning

"tony cooper" wrote in message

The NG populated by those with a single digit IQ all of whom are in my kill
file even if I do feel pity for them.

Then you must killfile me straight away. I find it an interesting
group to read. Diversity and all of that. My main squeeze is a group
that focuses on English usage, but I like variety.

I'm also a regular in the "unnamed" group, so I must be killfiled also. The group
has it's nastiness, but it was mainly brought on by spammers and crossposters
(notably Frank, Gary, and Helen from the RCC group). A few regulars have been using
it as a comedy club rehearsal forum, but if you get to know the group, you'll also
find out they have the answers that even the eBay boards often seem unable to find.

Old July 19th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

wrote:

[...]

The NG who's name we dare not speak of has put me off wandering so I stick
to 3 about coins and papermoney.

I can kill file trolls and delete all of their postings so that I never see
a post from them again, lovely. Billy

Old August 2nd 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
pindborg

Hi all

Thank you very much for the fine replies. I know that I asked a very
general question, but the posted answers are really good. I do not
have much knowledge of taking coin photos, and thereby it is difficult
to ask more specific.

I am not a dealer and the photographing is solely for my own pleasure.
The store at http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/ has a coin
photography kit which looks interesting. Unfortunately they do not
ship to Denmark, so I have to see whether a similar product is
available in a shop closer to me.

Best regards

Erik

Free for the taking: Coin Values magazine back issues Jim Seymour Coins 2 March 4th 07 12:23 PM
? Japanese Coin Photos ss Coins 1 October 17th 06 09:59 PM
Lighting and coin photos tom Coins 12 December 1st 05 03:58 PM
Posting coin Photos Fonty Coins 3 August 31st 05 06:54 AM
Taking photos of coins............. Gary Loveless Coins 32 March 9th 05 10:27 PM