Did PCGS Blow This One or What?

Old September 4th 04, 11:14 PM
David

Default Did PCGS Blow This One or What?

One ugly looking MS 64 Red

Old September 4th 04, 11:41 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
(David) wrote:

One ugly looking MS 64 Red

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3928053 072&r
d=1

Looks to me like a dirty slab. I suspect that with Crudaway cleaning the
slab, the coin would look a whole lot better (in spite of that nasty
whack on the cheek).
Old September 4th 04, 11:46 PM
Ira Stein

David wrote:

One ugly looking MS 64 Red

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3928053 0
72&rd=1

I dunno, Dave. That's a 64 and not a 65 after all. Looks like a better than
average 64 Rd to me. Those fuzzy areas on rev. are scuffs on the holder, but
the spots will be typical on a red 64 of that vintage. You'll see smaller ones
even on 65s in Red. A fully Red coin as opposed to a RB has a highly reactive
and vulnerable surface.

Ira Stein
Old September 5th 04, 02:51 AM
David

ospam (Ira Stein) wrote in message ...
David wrote:

One ugly looking MS 64 Red

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3928053 0
72&rd=1

I dunno, Dave. That's a 64 and not a 65 after all. Looks like a better than
average 64 Rd to me. Those fuzzy areas on rev. are scuffs on the holder, but
the spots will be typical on a red 64 of that vintage. You'll see smaller ones
even on 65s in Red. A fully Red coin as opposed to a RB has a highly reactive
and vulnerable surface.

Ira Stein

I really do not know Ira. I have never seen any of your MS64 Reds
looking as bad as this coin. The hit on the cheek and what appears to
be a uneveness of the surface just make this coin look like it should
be graded a lot lower. Heck the Liberty is not even sharp. I have a
MS 62 Red/Brown in an ANACS holder which looks 100% better than this
coin. I know you really like PCGS, but I really think they blew it on
this one. If it just a case of dirt or crud on the holder then the
dealer really should have cleaned it up before taking the picture.
Just an opinion of course.

David
David
Old September 5th 04, 11:29 AM
Ira Stein

David comments:

I really do not know Ira. I have never seen any of your MS64 Reds
looking as bad as this coin. The hit on the cheek and what appears to
be a uneveness of the surface just make this coin look like it should
be graded a lot lower. Heck the Liberty is not even sharp. I have a
MS 62 Red/Brown in an ANACS holder which looks 100% better than this
coin. I know you really like PCGS, but I really think they blew it on
this one. If it just a case of dirt or crud on the holder then the
dealer really should have cleaned it up before taking the picture.
Just an opinion of course.

I stand by what I've said David. It's a very decent MS-64 RD. Not only that, I
know the sller, Wayne herndon. He's quite knowledgeable and very picky about
what he buys. Let's just say that you don't personally care for this one. I've
seen PCGS blow a grade on accasion, but IMHO, they were right on in this case.
I've seen no better in MS-65 holders from the Avis grading company in Sarasota.
(Avis...#2)

Ira Stein
Old September 5th 04, 06:44 PM
Jeff Landon

Another thing...

It can be VERY difficult to take an accurate photograph of a coin,
especially an uncirculated one.

I have a few coins that are drop-dead gorgeous, but I can't photograph them
for the life of me. There's often a big difference between the way a coin
looks when you're holding it in your hand, gently rocking it back and forth
in the light, versus the way a camera captures the image. When you hold a
coin personally, your eye is able to automatically discern these subtle
differences and depth perception helps us see right past scuff marks on a
slab. With a camera you get a very flat, two-dimensional static snapshot.

--Jeff

David comments: