1860's French and Ururguay coins question

Old July 2nd 03, 10:55 PM
beekeep

Default 1860's French and Ururguay coins question

Compare this French 1867 A Silver 50 Centimes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=53 9

with this 2 CENTESIMOS 1869 coin from Ururguay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=25 7

Both have an A mint mark and the same mint symbols a bee and an
anchor. I think the bee was the mint directors mark and the anchor
was the mark of the person in charge of all the mints.

Did France mint coins for Uruguay during this time period?

beekeep

Old July 2nd 03, 11:25 PM
Ian

The anchor is the Engraver General's privy mark (period 1855 -1879). The
Bee was the Paris Mint Director's privy mark (period 1860 -1879).

Some of the Paris produced Uruguayan coins didn't have the `A' mint
mark, but only the privy marks (1877 10 centesimos I believe). Other
coins bearing `A' coulb berlin or Vienna (they wouldn't have privy marks
on them).

From what I can see, coinage was aso made in Birmingham (UK) and
carries an `H' mm for the same year (1869) and for the same denoms as
Paris produced. That is, for the 1,2,and 4 centesimos.

Other foreign mints producing coins for Uruguay include The mint at Lyon
in France (1857 `D'mm), Poissy in France, Berlin, Vienna, Mexico City,
Santiago, and Utrecht.

Ian