Sealing coin tubes with teflon tape????

Old December 29th 03, 02:20 AM
Kevin

Default Sealing coin tubes with teflon tape????

Quick question, I am using Square tube Coin Safes to hold a majority
of my BU coins. I was told to run a little Teflon tape around the
top, to give it a little added seal. Is there any validity in this?
Will it hurt or help? Any opinions?

Also what do you put in to take up the space between the tops of the
coins and the covers? Or do you just leave it empty?
Old December 29th 03, 03:28 AM
Byron L. Reed

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:20:05 -0500, Kevin wrote:

Quick question, I am using Square tube Coin Safes to hold a majority
of my BU coins. I was told to run a little Teflon tape around the
top, to give it a little added seal. Is there any validity in this?
Will it hurt or help? Any opinions?

Also what do you put in to take up the space between the tops of the
coins and the covers? Or do you just leave it empty?

Never thought about teflon tape. I don't think the teflon itself would
cause any problems. I would be concerned about residues, but since the
stuff is approved for potable water systems you should be okay.

However, I think the teflon tape would be overkill and might actually lead
to condensation problems within the tube.

They used to make plastic (adjective) springs for that. Now, I'd probably
use rayon 'cotton balls' to keep the coins from moving within. Don't use
real cotton.

BLReed

To email me click he http://tinyurl.com/nd66
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old December 29th 03, 03:57 AM
Andrew Auletta

Kevin -- As long as the tube is dry, and you pack it at a time when
the relative humidity is low, teflon tape should work fine. Once you
have the tubes packed, you'll need to store them in a stable
environment where they won't be subject to wide variations in
temperature, in order to avoid condensation forming on the inside of
the tubes.

As far as filler, we sell coin tube void filler kits consisting of
polyethylene slugs the size of standard coins. The kits are at our
website in the coin tube section, towards the middle of the page.
I've listed a quick link to the coin tube page below.

http://www.brent-krueger.com/tubes.html

--Andrew

wrote:

Quick question, I am using Square tube Coin Safes to hold a majority
of my BU coins. I was told to run a little Teflon tape around the
top, to give it a little added seal. Is there any validity in this?
Will it hurt or help? Any opinions?

Also what do you put in to take up the space between the tops of the
coins and the covers? Or do you just leave it empty?

We want to be your only coin supply dealer!
Shop with us online and save:
http://www.brent-krueger.com

Visit our new dealer showroom and retail outlet:
Brent-Krueger Coin Supplies
186 Scotch Rd.
Ewing NJ 08628
(800) 259-0158
Old December 29th 03, 05:30 AM
Bob Peterson

Teflon is about as unreactive as you can get, so its unlikely to cause any
additional difficulties. whether there is anything else mixed in with the
Teflon when they make the Teflon tape is something I cannot tell you, as I
do not know, but there may be additives in it that might be an issue.

I have seen such tubes that were sealed with scotch tape for decades and the
coins inside appeared to be no worse for it.

in fact, every tube I have seen that has been around any serious length of
time (like decades) that was not sealed, was also not openable, at least
easily. For some reason over time the plastic of the lid and the tube seems
to fuse together and getting them apart is a major effort.

Old December 29th 03, 05:31 AM
Bob Peterson

I have seen people using polystyrene foam. don't know if this is a problem,
but it is fairly inert.

Old December 29th 03, 05:57 AM
Ray Parkhurst

"Byron L. Reed" wrote in message
[...]

I've found that even the rayon (at least non-cotton) balls will degrade
Lincoln Cents in short order (1year). Unless you will be shipping the coins
and want to keep them from rattling, it might be best just to leave the
airspace to make sure nothing comes in contact with the top coin. Or, choose
a sacrifice coin (roll end coin?) and stuff away!

Ray