My latest acquisition: Seated Half Dime

Old May 29th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default My latest acquisition: Seated Half Dime

I just wanted to share my latest purchase. This is an 1845 half dime
that I bought just for the date. I was pleasantly surprised when I
took a good look at it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/RGT/1845s.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../1845_date.jpg

Old May 29th 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Randy Thompson wrote:
I just wanted to share my latest purchase. This is an 1845 half dime
that I bought just for the date. I was pleasantly surprised when I
took a good look at it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/RGT/1845s.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../1845_date.jpg

yes

it is a nice coin

mike
Old May 29th 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Randy Thompson", with exuberance and happiness, stated:
I just wanted to share my latest purchase. This is an 1845 half dime
that I bought just for the date. I was pleasantly surprised when I
took a good look at it.

A real honey, Randy! You did well!

Amistad
'admiring it from afar!'

Old May 29th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Looks like a Breen 3039 to me. Nice coin, nice color, nice condition.
You can't beat that!

Old May 29th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 28 May 2006 22:14:43 -0700, Randy Thompson wrote:
I just wanted to share my latest purchase. This is an 1845 half dime
that I bought just for the date.

Oh my, that _is_ beautiful.

I was pleasantly surprised when I
took a good look at it.

So, in a way, you're keeping it for the dates as well. What a treasure.

Old May 29th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Amistad" came back to add:

And the doubled date makes that little beauty all the nicer. Sweet!

Amistad
'Randy has some good things going on over there!'

Old May 29th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Yes, it's a V-5, Breen 3039 and I think an FS-000.7 though I don't have
the edition of the CPG with half dimes in it.

I won this on ebay and the seller said that he had bought it on
Heritage. Sure enough, I found where it had sold last November at
Heritage. Neither Heritage or the ebay seller mentioned the variety.
And another bonus was that I won it for around $40 less than it sold at
Heritage last year. It also looks much better in hand than any of the
pictures used in either auction.

Their are some light marks which don't show up well in my image that
account for the MS63 grade that NGC gave it. The obverse luster is
also a bit muted. Still, it's a keeper both for the color and the
variety.

While the variety is scarce it is available. The repunching shows all
of the numerals displaced in the same way indicating this date was put
on with a gang punch with the complete date. This must have been one
of the very early uses of a gang punch.

Old May 29th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 28 May 2006 22:14:43 -0700, "Randy Thompson"
is alleged to have written:
I just wanted to share my latest purchase. This is an 1845 half dime
that I bought just for the date. I was pleasantly surprised when I
took a good look at it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/RGT/1845s.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../1845_date.jpg

Way cool! I like the colors, too. Many half dimes have neat
repunching on the date. I think it was hard to aim the punch. When I
see one like that, I wonder if they had a punch with all four digits.
The repunching seems to match up like that.

Bruce (everybody is getting something new except me)
ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.