I thought I had seen just about everything!

Old January 7th 04, 10:12 PM
Bernhard Rich

Default I thought I had seen just about everything!

Why would anybody buy these things? He even states they are cut from
sheets purchased from the treasury.

Old January 7th 04, 11:25 PM
Jim Seymour

Bernhard Rich wrote:
Why would anybody buy these things? He even states they are cut from
sheets purchased from the treasury.

Hmmm... What's the rule? It's OK to mangle money as long as there is
no "intent to defraud"... This guy's walking a fine line with this one.

Secret Service, anyone?

--
Jim Seymour

Old January 8th 04, 02:05 AM
Aladdin Sane

Hmm, the implication is that he, or someone post mint, has trimmed these
bills to produce the error.

I find it equally interresting that he seems to only have one for auction,
if he had a sheet, he would have more and perhaps go dutch. then again, he
can always give the other bidders a second chance.

Up to $16.

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.

Old January 8th 04, 02:22 AM
Larry Louks

Aladdin Sane wrote:
I find it equally interresting that he seems to only have one for
auction, if he had a sheet, he would have more and perhaps go dutch.

Well, he does mention that the one you receive may have a different number
on it, so evidently he has more than just that one.

Larry

Old January 8th 04, 02:52 AM
Cliff

"Larry Louks" wrote:

Aladdin Sane wrote:
I find it equally interresting that he seems to only have one for
auction, if he had a sheet, he would have more and perhaps go dutch.

Well, he does mention that the one you receive may have a different number
on it, so evidently he has more than just that one.

Larry

The bills have 2 different serial numbers. The uncut sheets of $2
that I have come 3 to a sheet and cost about 16 or 18 bucks so unless
he got them really cheap he's not ahead of the game yet. He might
have bought a lot of sheets.
Cliff

Old January 8th 04, 04:29 AM
Bob Flaminio

Aladdin Sane wrote:
Hmm, the implication is that he, or someone post mint, has trimmed
these bills to produce the error.

You can buy uncut sheets of currency from the BEP,
http://www.moneyfactory.com/ -- $85 for a sheet of 32 $2s ($64 face, $21
premium). With that and a paper cutter, you can make as many of these
"errors" as you like.

Up to $16.

Now up to $20.99. Barnum strikes again.

Bob

Old January 8th 04, 06:19 AM
Andrew W Applegarth

"Aladdin Sane" wrote in

Hmm, the implication is that he, or someone post mint, has trimmed
these bills to produce the error.

I find it equally interresting that he seems to only have one for
auction, if he had a sheet, he would have more and perhaps go dutch.
then again, he can always give the other bidders a second chance.

If you look at his completed auctions, you will see that he has listed
27 of them, including the new one he put up when this one closed. He
gets pretty good prices for one day auctions. If I added it correctly,
he has gotten total bids of $444.76 on the 24 that got bids.

The auction that started on January 2 was the first to be private, so
I wonder if somebody realized what they had and threatened to tell his
future bidders...

- Andrew W Applegarth

This post must be coin related, because these auctions are posted in
the following two categories on eBay:

Coins Paper Money: US Errors
Coins Coins: US Errors
Old January 8th 04, 03:55 PM
Edward McGrath

Looks like an Andy Warhol creation : )

Old January 8th 04, 08:18 PM
Bob Flaminio

Jim Seymour wrote:
Bernhard Rich wrote:
Why would anybody buy these things? He even states they are cut from
sheets purchased from the treasury.

Hmmm... What's the rule? It's OK to mangle money as long as there is
no "intent to defraud"... This guy's walking a fine line with this
one.

Secret Service, anyone?

I'm not sure. If one reads the description, he is mostly upfront about
what he's doing. Of course, eBay bidiots rarely read descriptions; hence
the current $23.50 bid. It might be interesting to get the SS involved
with it and see what they do...

--
Bob

Old January 8th 04, 11:21 PM
Coin Saver

From: Jim Seymour

Bernhard Rich wrote:
Why would anybody buy these things?

For the same reason that one might buy a metal coaster made in the shape of a
1877 IHCent.

What's the rule? It's OK to mangle money as long as there is no "intent to

defraud"

Actually, that's precisely correct.

This guy's walking a fine line with this one.

Not really.
8-l

Coin Saver