QSL cards

Old October 8th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Reichert

Default QSL cards

These do sound like QSL cards. In the Amateur Radio community the cards are
used to confirm that a radio contact has happened between two stations.

There are QSL Bureaus, usually run by the national society of amateur radio
operators in a particular nation.

The allows an individual amateur to send many QSL cards to one destination
for eventual distribution. And that is one of the difficulties, it can be
very slow. Almost all the work is done voluntarily, so it can take years
for a given card to get to the correct destination.

Most societies charge a nominal fee, but it might be only a few cents per
card, still far less expensive than paying individual postage for each card.
Some societies sold adhesive labels to be afixed to the card to pay the fee.
These are not postage stamps.

Usually, the bureaus handle only cards going between different countries,
but there are some special interest ham organizations that run bureaus for
their membership.

The USPS was always kind of rough on the QSL cards I received, so most
people resorted to putting the card in an envelop to keep the 27 cancels
from showing on the card.

I have seen some at post cards shows selling for maybe up to a buck each.
This would be beyond whatever philatelic value involved. Obviously, if it
has a postage stamp on it, it might have value as a cover.

If your cards are old, say from the 1930s (or earlier) there are hams who
collect them. Each one is a little bit of history.

For what it is worth, I have about 12,000 of them, from around 250 different
countries, sitting in card files in my back room. Since they only go back
to 1963, I think they have only nostalgic value to me.

Bill Amateur Call Sign N9HH

Old October 9th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

N9HH,
Thanks for the information. These that I just got are mostly around
1947. They have one cent stamps on them (the US). There are some
"free" military ones. The postmarks could be of interest to stamp
collectors. One card mentioned that it was answering the first QSO in
their state. There is one or two advertising QSLs, some hand drawn
pictures (their radio configuration), many cartoon-type illustrations,
there is one with a diamond shaped logo stamp, stamped/posted ones from
Italy, Northern Honshu Japan, Durango Mexico, Baffin Island NMT,
Brussels, Cuba, Southern Rhodesia, Alberta CA, Prince George, and
numerous other locals.

over and out,
TL aka. T6P (not a call sign)