Any websites for U.S. Scott Numbers?

Old November 27th 03, 10:04 PM
MisterMug

Default Any websites for U.S. Scott Numbers?

I want to create a file on my computer containing the Scott catalog numbers for
all U.S. stamps. I don't need a price list. I'm only interested in the
descriptions.

I could go through my Brookman catalog and type it all manually, but that would
be tedious and time-consuming. I could scan each page and make a file with OCR
software, but that method is almost as tedious as typing it.

What I've been trying to find, so far without success, is a website with a
complete listing which I could download or copy/paste. I've been able to find a
few software programs, but all of them have been in Windows format, and I'm
using a Mac.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Old November 28th 03, 12:03 AM
Bill Sharpe

Go to www.pcsg.org. There are a couple of software programs mentioned there
that work on Mac computers. I believe HobbySoft may be your best bet.

You could put a list of numbers by filling a column from 1 to 4000 in a
spreadsheet, then going through the numbers to eliminate the non-Scott ones
and adding the suffixes as needed, but the hang-up is with the descriptions,
which you'd have to type in manually -- not a pleasant prospect, I agree.

Bill

Old November 28th 03, 12:51 PM
Lloyd A. de Vries

The U.S. Scott numbers for the most recent years are in the various U.S. stamp
schedules at The Virtual Stamp Club, www.VirtualStampClub.com but you'd still
have to type or cut-and-paste them into your computer.

The Scott numbers you'll find in most commercial philatelic software I'm
guessing will be in a proprietary format, and may be difficult to extract for
your own file.

I doubt you'll find any Web site that offers a file of U.S. Scott numbers such
as you seek. That's because the Scott numbering system is copyrighted by Amos
Press, which does go after those defend its copyrights -- such as offering a
complete file for free on a Web site.