grading companies

Old December 9th 05, 05:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default grading companies

Hi, does anyone know if coins graded by sgs,nnc,nts,are worth to bid on
and has anyone bid on some of these coins and found out they were
overgraded,thanks.

Old December 9th 05, 10:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

One thing that always tripped me up about these
coin grading companies is that they can claim
ms-70++ or "monster frost" or "flawless" but
a seasoned coin collector that's street smart
will always be disappointed if he gets suckered
in on such hype.

I bid on a half dozen auctions that featured coins
that promised the world and It was an unnecessary education for me.

Old December 10th 05, 01:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:23:59 -0500, Fred Arakelian wrote:

Hi, does anyone know if coins graded by sgs,nnc,nts,are worth to bid on
and has anyone bid on some of these coins and found out they were
overgraded,thanks.

IMHO;
Generally you should not buy a slab sight unseen from any vendor. They all
make mistakes, doesn't mean you were meant to also. That being said,
there are of course some companies that are more highly regarded than
others. I am sure if you know enough to ask the above question with
those companies you already know that. When dealers buy slabs w/o seeing
them, they use an entirely different price guide, and for good reason.
To a knowledgeable person, they are safer grading for themselves a raw
coin than to take the word of even the best slabbing company sight
unseen.
In order for this to be true though, you need to be able to
authenticate and grade the coin accurately. Enjoy the learning
experience, perhaps collecting a series in one particular grade.
-- dw

Old December 11th 05, 02:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thanks for the info,I appreciate it very much.

Old December 11th 05, 06:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

If you do a Google search for coin authentication or coin grading
services, you'll find some detailed information about this.

Too dumb to google up my name to see what I do, but then recommending
google to others? Ironic, dontchya think ya big dummy?