Rowe R-88 Question

Old February 5th 08, 11:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
frank1422

Default Rowe R-88 Question

Hi

I picked up a Rowe R-88 Jukebox. The jukebox has a box on top of it
with some kind of monitor in it, I was told that it was a video option
that rowe had on that jukebox. The question I have is that there is a
cable that goes from the jukebox to this monitor. The cable Has like
phono plugs on both ends.

Does anyone know where i can get that cable from (one end is broken)
Or possible know of a cable I can use to replace it. Any help would be
apreciated on the above question. Also Does anyone know if the tapes
this thing used for the video are still available or not.

Thanx

Frank
Old February 6th 08, 12:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
delawarebuyer

Hi Frank, I might me able to help you find the cable you need. Feel free to
give me a call @ 302-698-5437 Jukebox Jim or email me at
. I know where some of the tapes are too. Jim

--
Message posted using
http://www.talkaboutcollecting.com/g...ng.juke-boxes/

Old February 11th 08, 01:34 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tenpin

I installed those machines when they first came out, I havn't seen one for
over 20 years so I will have to go by memory which should be reasonably
accurate.

The video monitor is an Electrohome monitor. The small added on circuit
board in the monitor cabinet was known as the " NTSC " board with 2 types
of output. A Video output for the monitor and an " RF " ( cable tv like )
signal for the other output so the video from the jukebox could easily be
connected to TV's in other part of the location. I beliee there was a
switch selectable choice for the RF output to be on ch 3 or 4. I can not
recall the specifics of the cable going from the video control module in the
jukebox to the monitor housing. You mention that it has RCA type plugs on
it, if that is so they should be easily available.

The video tape players consisted of a pair of Sony Beta type tape players
and identical tapes were put into each tape player. While a video was
playing, if another one was selected it would automatically que up on the
second tape player. This avoided delay when the first video finished and
the next one started.

The audio from the videos was not as good as it was from the records and it
was noticeably poorer although for the most part " acceptable " by location
patrons.

New video tapes were made aailable to operators on a return basis only. Old
tapes had to be returned to get new ones issued. ( similar to the way
Seeburg did with the background music records for the Seeburg 1000 BMS ).
There may still be some of the tapes for the AMi Video Jukebox around
somewhere but you will have to hunt around for them. I highly doubt AMi
would have them any more.

The " 300 " series selections you mention may have been programmed out of
one of the control units. I can not recall if there was a switch for this
or a service / programming command for doing this. The reasoning behind
that was that the video stuff could all be removed and it could be turned
back into a regular jukebox if desired. It is possible one of the control
units in your machine may have been swapped out and replaced with one
programmed for conventional 200 select phono operation.

I think the service maual for the video jukebox was a suppliment to the
standard issue R-88 manual.

Like any " Video Jukebox " that has ever been marketed, the Rowe Video
Jukebox was only around a few short years. The reason for its inception at
that period of time was that it was in the earlier era of MTV and many
jukebox locations were playing MTV on their TV and in many situations it was
considered to be keeping people from putting money into the jukebox. What
it comes down to however is the age old statement of " how mony people go
to a Bar to " Watch " a jukebox !

About a year ago a digital downloading video jukebox appeared although I
dont know if it ever got off the ground or not. All I saw was a sales
brochure for it on the manufacturers website and it was not one of the major
manufacturers either.

Best of luck with it and if you find you can not get the video going in that
machine, you can strip all the video stuff out of it and still have a great
jukebox if the rest of it is working properly !

Old February 24th 08, 09:42 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
frank1422[_2_]

"frank1422" wrote in message

Hi

I picked up a RoweR-88Jukebox. The jukebox has a box on top of it
with some kind of monitor in it, I was told that it was a video option
that rowe had on that jukebox. The question I have is that there is a
cable that goes from the jukebox to this monitor. The cable Has like
phono plugs on both ends.

Does anyone know where i can get that cable from (one end is broken)
Or possible know of a cable I can use to replace it. Any help would be
apreciated on the above question. Also Does anyone know if the tapes
this thing used for the video are still available or not.

Thanx

Frank

Just wanted to update the toipic. I did get the video portion working
on the jukebox. It was a bad cable from the video control computer to
the central control computer. Than everyone for your help.

Frank