French Settlements in India

Old September 2nd 04, 07:53 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

Default French Settlements in India

I have these two stamps

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/shoebox-FranceIndia.jpg

that I am unable to identify. Thanks in advance for any help and info :-)
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 2nd 04, 09:03 PM
AK47

amesh (Mette) wrote:

I have these two stamps

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/shoebox-FranceIndia.jpg

that I am unable to identify. Thanks in advance for any help and info :-)

French India Scot #'s 212 and 213 (minimum value)issued in 1948. A cache
was 1/192 of a rupee. Similar to a pie in British India.

From the 18th century until 1949-54 (when they joined the Indian
Republic), there were some small settlements in India which belonged to
France.

--
To e-mail me get rid of the cats and dogs.
Old September 2nd 04, 09:06 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"AK47" skrev i en meddelelse
amesh (Mette) wrote:

I have these two stamps

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/shoebox-FranceIndia.jpg

that I am unable to identify. Thanks in advance for any help and info

:-)

French India Scot #'s 212 and 213 (minimum value)issued in 1948. A cache
was 1/192 of a rupee. Similar to a pie in British India.

From the 18th century until 1949-54 (when they joined the Indian
Republic), there were some small settlements in India which belonged to
France.

Thanks -- that's a good beginning :-)
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 3rd 04, 12:03 AM
A.E. Gelat

Mette, here is some additional information on French India. There were five
towns (settlements):
Chandernagore, near Calcutta (now Kolkata); Mahé, on the Arabian Sea, SW
India; Karikal, Pondichéry and Yanaon, all on the Bay of Bengal (SE India).

In 1940, the Vichy regime issued stamps for these settlements, but they were
never sent there, as they had joined the Free French.

Tony

From: "amesh

(Mette)"
Subject: French Settlements in India
Date: Thursday, September 02, 2004 3:06 PM

"AK47" skrev i en meddelelse
amesh (Mette) wrote:

I have these two stamps

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/shoebox-FranceIndia.jpg

that I am unable to identify. Thanks in advance for any help and info

:-)

French India Scot #'s 212 and 213 (minimum value)issued in 1948. A cache
was 1/192 of a rupee. Similar to a pie in British India.

From the 18th century until 1949-54 (when they joined the Indian
Republic), there were some small settlements in India which belonged to
France.

Thanks -- that's a good beginning :-)
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)
http://www.heindorffhus.dk

ery and Yanaon, on the Bay of Bengal, SE India.

"amesh (Mette)" wrote in message
"AK47" skrev i en meddelelse
amesh (Mette) wrote:

I have these two stamps

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/shoebox-FranceIndia.jpg

that I am unable to identify. Thanks in advance for any help and info

:-)

French India Scot #'s 212 and 213 (minimum value)issued in 1948. A cache
was 1/192 of a rupee. Similar to a pie in British India.

From the 18th century until 1949-54 (when they joined the Indian

Old September 3rd 04, 01:43 AM
Chris Doran

"amesh \(Mette\)" wrote in message ...
I have these two stamps

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/shoebox-FranceIndia.jpg

that I am unable to identify. Thanks in advance for any help and info :-)

First two of a set of 21, SG 259-279 of 1948. Each stamp has one of 7
different characters in the cent
1) Apsara (yours)
2) Dvarabalagar standing erect
3) Vishnu
4) Brahmin idol
5) Dvarabalagar with leg raised
6) Temple Guardian
7) One of the Tigoupalagar

No significant CV until you get into the franc denominations, when a
few GBP.

Chris
Old September 3rd 04, 08:43 AM
amesh \(Mette\)

"A.E. Gelat" skrev i en meddelelse
Mette, here is some additional information on French India. There were

five
towns (settlements):
Chandernagore, near Calcutta (now Kolkata); Mahé, on the Arabian Sea, SW
India; Karikal, Pondichéry and Yanaon, all on the Bay of Bengal (SE

India).

In 1940, the Vichy regime issued stamps for these settlements, but they

were
never sent there, as they had joined the Free French.

Thanks Tony, very helpful :-)
Mette

Tony

From: "amesh

(Mette)"

Old September 3rd 04, 08:46 AM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Chris Doran" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
"amesh \(Mette\)" wrote in message

I have these two stamps

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/shoebox-FranceIndia.jpg

that I am unable to identify. Thanks in advance for any help and info

:-)

First two of a set of 21, SG 259-279 of 1948. Each stamp has one of 7
different characters in the cent
1) Apsara (yours)
2) Dvarabalagar standing erect
3) Vishnu
4) Brahmin idol
5) Dvarabalagar with leg raised
6) Temple Guardian
7) One of the Tigoupalagar

No significant CV until you get into the franc denominations, when a
few GBP.

Thanks Chris. I never dealt much with Asian stamps, so all this is totally
new to me. With this latest acquisition I will have enough to keep me
occupied for the next few months :-)
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 3rd 04, 08:22 PM
Blair (TC)

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:53:35 +0200, "amesh \(Mette\)"
wrote:

I have these two stamps

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/shoebox-FranceIndia.jpg

that I am unable to identify. Thanks in advance for any help and info :-)

French India

When Frederick II of Prussia siezed Silesia in 1740, France sided with
him, the British with Austria. As a result of this, The War of
Austrian Succession, the British decided that France's power in India
was too great to be left alone. After the French quickly cornered the
English in a naval battle, a treaty was signed trading Madras for Cape
Breton Island in North America.

Relations between the British and French worsened as each became mired
in local Indian politics. After the nizam, a major Mughal noble and
power-broker, died, the French took advantage of this time to pick
sides in a dispute over who would be Karnatic nawab (governor).
(Karnataka was a dependancy of the nizam. The nizam chose a nawab in
1743, but rivals for the nawab-ate weren't satisfied. Is this clear?
Good.) The French chose Chanda Sahib for nawab and Salabat Jang for
nizam. The British, not to be outdone, responded by saying that
Muhammad Ali (the Indian, not the boxer) should be nawab.

The nawab-ship wasn't really all that important, but it made a good
excuse for a war. The British/Muhammad Ali, led by Robert Clive,
gained control of Arcot (the capital of Karnataka) in 1751, and the
French/Chandra Sahib were forced to surrended in 1752.

Peace and tranquility reigned for . . . four years. Then, the Seven
Years' War began in Europe in 1756, and the British and French in
India were at it again. The British, with their naval superiority, won
victories in the Bengal, at Madras, at Ponicherry, and at Wandiwash.
The French surrendered for the second time in 1761.

Thus, the French were permitted, by various treaties, to retain only
tiny settlements: Chandernagore, Karikal, Mahe, Pondicherry, Yanam

Chandernagore was a really tiny (3 sq.miles) enclave some 20 miles
north of Calcutta. It was owned by the French between 1816 and 1950
when a referendum returned it to India.
http://www.aurobindo.ru/images/sa/18...nagore_map.gif

Pondicherry was the capital of the French possessions and occupied an
area of 113 square miles. It had been lost by the French during the
Napoleonic wars but was handed back to them in 1816 and stayed French
until it was returned to India after independence.
http://www.aurobindo.ru/images/sa/1910-1950/pond_1.gif

Karikal (Karaikal), near Pondicherry, was a small French settlement
on the S.E. coast in the Tanjore district. It is now a beach resort.
http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/india/beachresorts.jpg

Mahe (S.E. (Malabar) Coast)
http://www.pondy.com/images/mahe/directionmap/mahe2.gif

and Yenam, near Pondicherry
The smallest census district in India is Yenam in Pondicherry
with a population of 31,362 only.
http://www.zum.de/whkmla/histatlas/i...indiaclose.gif

Some more stamp links of interest.

French India (French Republic) 1892 - 1940
http://www.kalnieciai.lt/zenius/asia...ench/india.jpg

French India (French Republic) French Republic stamps overprint
1892 - 1940
http://www.kalnieciai.lt/zenius/asia.../overprint.jpg

French India (French State) 1940 - 1944
http://www.kalnieciai.lt/zenius/asia...ench/state.jpg

French India (Free French Administration) 1941 - 1944
http://www.kalnieciai.lt/zenius/asia...ench/libre.jpg

French India (IV French Republic) 1947 - 1954 11 01
http://www.kalnieciai.lt/zenius/asia...ch/1947-54.jpg

French India - perfins (BJC)
http://www.kalnieciai.lt/zenius/asia...french/BJC.jpg

Blair

Old September 3rd 04, 11:50 PM
A.E. Gelat

Blair, that was an excellent example of stamp collecting also teaching us
history. But I take exception to your listing of the 1940-1944 French State
issue (Petain). There was no way for these stamps to have reached India,
and even if they had, they would not have been issued, since the five
settlements had opted for de Gaulle. The British would not have allowed
Petain to control them. They must be classified as "prepared for use but
not issued for postal use".

Tony

Old September 4th 04, 02:10 AM
Blair (TC)

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:50:17 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

Blair, that was an excellent example of stamp collecting also teaching us
history. But I take exception to your listing of the 1940-1944 French State
issue (Petain). There was no way for these stamps to have reached India,
and even if they had, they would not have been issued, since the five
settlements had opted for de Gaulle. The British would not have allowed
Petain to control them. They must be classified as "prepared for use but
not issued for postal use".

Tony

Tony:

I agree completely, , but included them for the information
of collectors who may have some of these items.

Blair