United We Stand Collection Opinions

Old October 27th 03, 05:00 PM

Default United We Stand Collection Opinions

Just curious if anyone has seen or has any comments about the "United We
Stand Collection" at http://unitedwestandcollection.com/ ("25 classic
U.S. stamps preserved forever as flawlessly engraved pure silver ingots,
layered with 24 karat gold")

It looks cool to me, and the USPS is definitely promoting it... but it's
definitely not a USPS product, just officially licensed by the USPS
(i.e. they are making money off of it).

Since it is rather expensive ($69/mo), my primary curiousity is whether
or not I could ever come close to recouping my costs if I needed the
cash (which is why I like collecting new stamps... fairly easy to recoup
investment).

Also, general thoughts on whether others would collect this including
why/why not would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old October 27th 03, 05:18 PM
Bob Ingraham

From: a a@a
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:00:17 -0600
Subject: United We Stand Collection Opinions

Just curious if anyone has seen or has any comments about the "United We
Stand Collection" at http://unitedwestandcollection.com/ ("25 classic
U.S. stamps preserved forever as flawlessly engraved pure silver ingots,
layered with 24 karat gold")

I could probably come up with a comment, but children may be reading this
newsgroup.

It looks cool to me, and the USPS is definitely promoting it... but it's
definitely not a USPS product, just officially licensed by the USPS
(i.e. they are making money off of it).

No doubt a lot of money. Whether it looks cool or not is your call. Such
items are often well designed, but for a number of reasons I would want any
of them.

Since it is rather expensive ($69/mo), my primary curiousity is whether
or not I could ever come close to recouping my costs if I needed the
cash (which is why I like collecting new stamps... fairly easy to recoup
investment).

Sorry to bear "bad tidings," but "investment" is not a word that goes with
stamp collecting, much to the chagrin of newbies who become stamp collectors
thinking they are going to get rich, or even "recoup their investment". The
vast majority of mint stamps issued over the past 50 or 60 rarely can be
sold even at face value, unless you want to go the effort of marketing them
in small lots on eBay.

Also, general thoughts on whether others would collect this including
why/why not would be much appreciated.

Lots of people buy such items. They are readily available, perhaps with a
little searching, for much less money than was paid for them. Send me $69
and I'll send you some stamps and covers that will be worth a lot more.
(Just kidding about sending me money; I'm not a dealer, and have nothing I
want to sell. But, seriously, you could spend the money on stamps and covers
that would at least give you a fair chance at recouping your "investment".
In the meantime, you could enjoy owning real postal artifacts rather than
those produced by America, Inc.

Bob Ingraham

Thanks!

Old October 27th 03, 05:47 PM

From: a a@a
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:00:17 -0600

[...]

Sorry for using the wrong word. Indeed, COST is all I am interested in
"coming close to recouping".

Also, general thoughts on whether others would collect this including
why/why not would be much appreciated.

Lots of people buy such items. They are readily available, perhaps with a
little searching, for much less money than was paid for them. Send me $69
and I'll send you some stamps and covers that will be worth a lot more.
(Just kidding about sending me money; I'm not a dealer, and have nothing I
want to sell. But, seriously, you could spend the money on stamps and covers
that would at least give you a fair chance at recouping your "investment".
In the meantime, you could enjoy owning real postal artifacts rather than
those produced by America, Inc.

Bob Ingraham

Thanks!

Thanks for your comments! I appreciate your perspective.

Old October 27th 03, 06:16 PM
Bob Ingraham

From: a a@a
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:47:45 -0600

Since it is rather expensive ($69/mo), my primary curiousity is whether
or not I could ever come close to recouping my costs if I needed the
cash (which is why I like collecting new stamps... fairly easy to recoup
investment).

Sorry to bear "bad tidings," but "investment" is not a word that goes with
stamp collecting, much to the chagrin of newbies who become stamp collectors
thinking they are going to get rich, or even "recoup their investment". The
vast majority of mint stamps issued over the past 50 or 60 rarely can be
sold even at face value, unless you want to go the effort of marketing them
in small lots on eBay.

Sorry for using the wrong word.

No apologies necessary.

Indeed, COST is all I am interested in
"coming close to recouping".

From my post and another, you've probably seen that you'd be unlikely to be
able to sell them for even your cost. And that $69 doesn't include shipping,
I assume.

Bob Ingraham

Bob Ingraham

Old October 27th 03, 06:19 PM
Bill G.

Complete waste of money. If history is any guide, you will find them
difficult to sell at any reasonable price. Spend your money on real stamps.
If you want to "invest," buy stock.

Bill G.

Old October 27th 03, 07:22 PM

Thanks for your comments, Bill! Once again, I stand corrected:
I picked the wrong word, "investement", to describe my costs. I'm very
sorry.

I will not use the word investment in regards to stamp collecting ever
again.
I will not use the word investment in regards to stamp collecting ever
again.
I will not use the word investment in regards to stamp collecting ever
again.
I will not use the word investment in regards to stamp collecting ever
again.

-- Rob M.

Old October 27th 03, 10:30 PM
Bill G.

Rob,

Sorry if I seemed a bit blunt, but folks who sell that kind of #$%^ (and I
have seen exactly the same sort of gold "stamps"before) just burn me up.
They take advantage of people's patriotism to sell them very-overpriced
"collectibles" (junk, really) that they imply will be a good investment when
the reality is exactly the opposite.

If you want to buy them just for grins, I say go ahead, but IMHO they are
rather expensive. And, as I said, they will be difficult to unload should
you ever want to.

Bill G.

Old October 27th 03, 11:45 PM
Paul Kliauga

As an example of what you may expect to get to recover your cost, I bought
one of those 22K gold-plated "replicas" about one year ago on eBay. I
believe it was a multiple-piece auction. I bought a gold replica of the 24c
inverted jenny simply because I liked it, and it went for cheap! $2.99 is
what I paid for it. But note that this dealer tacked on $1.45
shipping/handling and $1.30 insurance mandatory! $1.30 insurance for a $2.99
item! What a hoot! But in all, it still cost me les than $6.00 and it is a
nice little curiosity and is pretty. But $69 !!?? I don't think so. At that
rate you would end up paying $1725 for the set! Now if you want to spend
that kind of money and still "recoup your cost", with that sum you could get
a nice used U.S. #2 in XF-Sup condition, and that WILL maintain its value!
Or a nice used high value Columbian. Those gold things are simply proof of
P.T. Barnum's adage.

Paul Kliauga

Old October 28th 03, 12:31 AM
Kaleb KEITHLEY

I think you're comparing apples and oranges.

The United We Stand replicas are NOT the same as those 22K gold foil
replicas that have been around for years. They're 2mm thick silver
ingots that are "gold layered," whatever gold layered means. (Doesn't
that make them vermeil?)

Even so there's less silver in one replica than an ASE (American Silver
Eagle) so the bullion value is less than $5 each.

In my book they're not good value for money.

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY

Old October 28th 03, 01:40 AM
TC

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:00:17 -0600, a a@a wrote:

Just curious if anyone has seen or has any comments about the "United We
Stand Collection" at http://unitedwestandcollection.com/ ("25 classic
U.S. stamps preserved forever as flawlessly engraved pure silver ingots,
layered with 24 karat gold")

It looks cool to me, and the USPS is definitely promoting it... but it's
definitely not a USPS product, just officially licensed by the USPS
(i.e. they are making money off of it).

Since it is rather expensive ($69/mo), my primary curiousity is whether
or not I could ever come close to recouping my costs if I needed the
cash (which is why I like collecting new stamps... fairly easy to recoup
investment).

Also, general thoughts on whether others would collect this including
why/why not would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I doubt you would ever get your money back on this set.
If you want it as a curiousity, fine.
But as an investment--- forget it.

Similar sets were sold in the past. Today they bring a fraction of
original cost.

Blair