No commercial postings, please!

Old February 17th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default No commercial postings, please!

on Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:41:02 GMT, my-wings stated:

"Allison Turner-" wrote in message

[metadiscussion of metadiscussion snipped]

Nice job!

Thanks.

And since you've now joined the discussion, perhaps someone better than I am
at reading those pesky headers can confirm for Mr. fundoc that you and I are
not one in the same?

Oh, did he do that? I must confess I wasn't really paying
attention to what he wrote, although I did think I saw my
name flit by.

-Allison

Old February 17th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"my-wings" wrote in message

"fundoc" wrote in message

"my-wings" wrote in message

"fundoc" wrote in message

In any event, it was not nice of you to call Ms Turner a yobbo.

Alice: "That might actually have lead to an interesting discussion, as
the position isn't totally without merit."

Just as a point of interest, who is Ms Turner?

Anyone who thinks who Ms Turner is is a point of interest is a boyo.
Anyway, this is Ms Turner:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...d0d6d39?hl=en&

Isn't that you? Are you morphing your email address? Just when I thought
you couldn't have sunk any lower. You should be ashamed.

Um....not to put too fine a point on it, but we do spell our first names a
little differently (Alice vs. Allison), and our last names a whole lot
differently (Voith vs. Turner). I can't speak for Allison, of course, but
I like the way this allows people who don't know us well (or even at all)
to tell us apart.

Your serve...

I don't feel the need to serve. I confused you with the other person. Shurg.
Sic. Not being psychotic, I don't have a problem admitting to an error, on
those rare occasions I make one.

Alice
--
Book collecting terms illustrated. Occasional books for sale.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/

Old February 17th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"my-wings" wrote in
:

"John R. Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in message
"Mrs. O'Leary" wrote:

You're stupid.

Hi, there, fundoc.

2006 08:05:01 EST)

Your headers, I believe? Tut, tut! And just when I thought you had
nowhere further to sink to!

P.S. Thanks for the back-up, Alice, but with a congenital retard like
this one there's just no point!

My computer died for a few days, so I never read any of this thread
while it built. It's been entertaining and informative to read the
entire thing as a single piece. There was almost a justification from
fundoc as to why he felt the FAQ rules on sig lines didn't apply to
posts whose only comment was a warning against spam. That might
actually have lead to an interesting discussion, as the position isn't
totally without merit, but apparently interesting discussion was not
the intent. Oh well. I have miles of email to read before I sleep...

Alice
--
My cool website:
Book collecting terms illustrated. Occasional books for sale.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/

I hesitated joining this discussion because I thought it would die of it's
own accord.

First the original arguement-

Someone has to inform posters that items for sale are not within the
purview of this group.

The admonishment was as gentle as I have seen.

John Yamamoto-Wilson's website is not only cool, but also barely
commercial. The opening page is informative and only invites a look at his
offerings. Both the commercial and uncommercial sections serve to inform
the reader of his expertise.

Thus if a serios debate were intended, this is the worst possible example
to debate.

Second -

Often when someone posts an item for sale or consideration, he/she is
invited to create a cool website and contribute to the group. It seems that
this is an accepted way to proffer goods without cluttering the group.

Third -

I find the setting that blocks a poster gives me much peace of mind. I have
added "fondoc" to this list.

Old February 19th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Ted Jones writes (snipped)

I find the setting that blocks a poster gives me much peace of mind. I have
added "fondoc" to this list.

This seems a pity, as I have found some of his posts amusing and
informative, and I won't be adjusting my settings.

Getting back to books, I have been thinking about fondoc's quote the other
day:

"Si tacuisses philosophus mansisses".

Would someone tell us where this quote is taken from, please?

Best wishes to all,

John Townsend
Old Books on Genealogy and British Local History,
http://www.johntownsend.demon.co.uk

Old February 19th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"John Townsend" wrote in message
Ted Jones writes (snipped)

I find the setting that blocks a poster gives me much peace of mind. I

have
added "fondoc" to this list.

This seems a pity, as I have found some of his posts amusing and
informative,

Could you give some examples please ?

As there appears to be a fault with my NewsServer, as I seemed to
have missed a large number of posts - "Fondoc - *plunk*"
nonwithstanding.

and I won't be adjusting my settings.

Getting back to books, I have been thinking about fondoc's quote the other
day:

"Si tacuisses philosophus mansisses".

Would someone tell us where this quote is taken from, please?

Boethius’ Consolations of Philosophy

http://www.san.beck.org/Boethius1.html

michael adams

Old February 19th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"John Townsend" wrote in message
Ted Jones writes (snipped)

I find the setting that blocks a poster gives me much peace of mind. I

have
added "fondoc" to this list.

This seems a pity, as I have found some of his posts amusing and
informative,

Could you give some examples please ?

As there appears to be a fault with my NewsServer, as I seemed to
have missed a large number of posts - "Fondoc - *plunk*"
nonwithstanding.

and I won't be adjusting my settings.

Getting back to books, I have been thinking about fondoc's quote the other
day:

"Si tacuisses philosophus mansisses".

Would someone tell us where this quote is taken from, please?

Boethius’ Consolations of Philosophy

http://www.san.beck.org/Boethius1.html

Oops! book 2 chapter 7

http://www.san.beck.org/Boethius2.html

'Now at last,' he said,
'do you understand me to be a philosopher?'
"Then that one said too sharply,
I would have understood, if you had kept silent.'

Old February 20th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

"michael adams" wrote in message
"John Townsend" wrote in message
Ted Jones writes (snipped)

I find the setting that blocks a poster gives me much peace of mind. I

have
added "fondoc" to this list.

This seems a pity, as I have found some of his posts amusing and
informative,

Could you give some examples please ?

Be happy to.

As to amusing, here's a Mr Yamamoto Wilson and a Ms Turner discussing one of
fundocs many bon mots:

http://tinyurl.com/qo545

Followed shortly thereafter by some dope called Michael Adams, who chimes in
with his own personal favorite:

http://tinyurl.com/llczo

As to informative, why just this week I taught you several new words. Scroll
down, there's a few more you can google.

As there appears to be a fault with my NewsServer, as I seemed to
have missed a large number of posts - "Fondoc - *plunk*"
nonwithstanding.

and I won't be adjusting my settings.

Getting back to books, I have been thinking about fondoc's quote the
other
day:

"Si tacuisses philosophus mansisses".

Would someone tell us where this quote is taken from, please?

Boethius' Consolations of Philosophy

http://www.san.beck.org/Boethius1.html

Oops! book 2 chapter 7

Calvo turpius est nihil compto.

Old February 20th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"fundoc" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message

"John Townsend" wrote in message

Ted Jones writes (snipped)

I find the setting that blocks a poster gives me much peace of mind.
have
added "fondoc" to this list.

This seems a pity, as I have found some of his posts amusing and
informative,

Could you give some examples please ?

Be happy to.

You appear to have overlooked the word "informative" there.

This, in case you hadn't noticed, is a NewsGroup primarily intended
to facilitate the discussion of book collecting. And any such wit
and humour as may arise in the course of such discussions, can best
be regarded as a welcome diversion. But this was never intended
to be the primary purpose of the NewsGroup.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, and I don't want this to come as too
much of a shock. But witticisms on a par with the two or three
which you've managed to produce in the course of the past nine
years, are being produced on a daily if not an hourly basis. By
the sort of real "experts" who can be found on some other, less
sharply focused Groups.

If you weren't a mullethead and if I cared what you thought, that might have
been fascinating. As you are, and I don't, it wasn't.

Old February 20th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"michael adams" wrote in
:

"John Townsend" wrote in message
Ted Jones writes (snipped)

I find the setting that blocks a poster gives me much peace of mind.

have
added "fondoc" to this list.

This seems a pity, as I have found some of his posts amusing and
informative,

Could you give some examples please ?

As there appears to be a fault with my NewsServer, as I seemed to
have missed a large number of posts - "Fondoc - *plunk*"
nonwithstanding.

and I won't be adjusting my settings.

My apologies.

I had intended the thrust of my post to be a an appreciation of John
Yamamoto-Wilson I feel that the thread was turned to a discussion of his
ethics. I have appreciated his postings and have not noticed subsequent
postings. I like this group. I also believe a truly honorable man was
besmirched by this thread. My mistake was allowing my feelings about the
person who intiating this to end my post. That being said, (and once more
falling into the trap) I appreciate being "plonked" by "fundoc".

No, I cannot, nor would I mess with anyone's server.

I would appreciate any constructive comments about my post.

Thank you,

Ted