Pocket PC and FP Convergence

Old July 22nd 03, 03:47 AM
Ken Freeman

Default Pocket PC and FP Convergence

Convergence has been all the rage in technology over the past decade or so,
and I'm catching up at my usual pace. I just bought a Pocket PC for
scheduling, et cetera. Now I find I can't write worth a hoot using that
tiny stylus, plus I still only want to carry one pen. I saw a Rotring
Initial fountain pen with a PDA stylust tip, but I don't recall where.

Who's found a nice high-quality fountain pen merged with a stylus tip? Is
the Rotring the only one? Who's seen it cheap(ish), and where?

Looking for nirvana,

Ken

Old July 22nd 03, 05:09 AM
SMMRFLD

Actually, there are two options that I know of...both from Cross. The Solo
Digital Writer Duo is a rollerball/stylus combo, but the Solo fountain pen
front end is interchangeable with the rollerball and available from Cross for
about 12 bucks in different widths. The Solo fp is totally dependable, and the
Duo is available in three colors from Staples stores. Or you could just get a
Cross Matrix, but the fp nib is only a medium width and it's about double the
price of the Solo.
Old July 22nd 03, 05:39 AM
Dik F. Liu

In article , "Ken Freeman"
writes:

Who's found a nice high-quality fountain pen merged with a stylus tip? Is
the Rotring the only one? Who's seen it cheap(ish), and where?

Skyline. Yes, that's right - Eversharp Skyline. You can use the barrel's end of
an Eversharp Skylines as a stylus. It works wonderfully. You needn't even uncap
the pen to use it as a stylus; and it's a very comfortable grip with a noted
designer's touch (Henry Dreyfuss).

Dik
Old July 22nd 03, 06:03 AM
Ken Freeman

Actually, I've tried the barrel end of a Parker 51, and it doesn't "slip"
too well on the PDA screen protector. I think the type of plastic is
important for a smooth writing feel, and for letters that are continuous.
Otherwise, Dik, it's a great idea. I have a small celluloid Skyline, maybe
the celluloid will mate better than the polystyrene of the 51.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:23 PM
DovR

Cool. Will try.

Old July 23rd 03, 04:47 AM
Dik F. Liu

In article , "Ken Freeman"
writes:

Actually, I've tried the barrel end of a Parker 51, and it doesn't "slip"
too well on the PDA screen protector. I think the type of plastic is
important for a smooth writing feel, and for letters that are continuous.
Otherwise, Dik, it's a great idea. I have a small celluloid Skyline, maybe
the celluloid will mate better than the polystyrene of the 51.

Some 51s has a dent in the barrel's end, which might scratch the PDA's glass. I
usually lined my PDA with a screen protector. I think that that Fellow makes
one with a coarse, "paper-like" feel. It works great on my old Palm 3, but not
as well in my color Clie. It smears the resolution. For the color Clie, I use a
satin screen protector which still has a traction to it.

Dik
Old July 23rd 03, 04:48 AM
John DiClemente

Sheaffer Balance. Using an oversize ebonized pearl today, and it works well
either with a nib on paper or the pointed end on the Clie. The nice thing
about the Balance over the Skyline is that with two pointed ends, you have a
stylus whether capped or posted.

(Also, being a fingerstyle guitarist, my right hand fingernails are always
nicely shaped, and work well as an emergency stylus.)

John

Old July 24th 03, 03:06 AM
Mike W

If it's color you desire, Delta also makes (made?) a combination
stylus/ballpoint in their Dolcevita line. As I recall about same price range
as Rotring quattro.