QUESTION # 2 - US $50 Bill Uneven Printing ????????

Old September 5th 05, 01:34 AM
JB

Default QUESTION # 2 - US $50 Bill Uneven Printing ????????

My mother in law was cleaning out her closets and found an enveloped
wiht a $50 bill inside. Writing on the envelope stated "double
stamped", but she hasn't looked very clearly at the bill. She is going
to a local coin dealer, but I am looking for some advise from the group.

The bill is 1990 series and in reality the extra green ink (color of
serial number and seal) is streaked on the left side of the bill.

Can someone shed some light on this printing error and / or a place to
search this printing errror?

Thanks in advance.
Old September 5th 05, 03:07 PM

It might or might not be a printing error. It could be an offset where
the ink of another bill lifted onto another one, and that can happen by
being in a stack of bills that are exposed to moisture, etc.. If it is
really a printing error you will see the third printing in the same
position it appears on a regular bill, not backwards like it would on
an offset. Nevertheless you may want to contact Fred Bart who is the
Nation's authority on US Paper Money Errors (He Wrote the BOOK) his
phone number is 1-586-979-3400 - In general offsets are worth a little
more than face, but a true printing error can be worth many many times
face value. If you really think it is a printing error consider
consignment to Lyn Knight Currency Auctions (www.lynknight.com) or
Currency Auctions of America www.currencyauctions.com

Hope this helps

Rick Nickles

Old September 5th 05, 05:18 PM
JB

Thank you for the reply. The bill looks more like the bill shown at
this link, except the ink is not over the face.

http://www.heritagecoins.com/common/...y_No=146956001