in person successes, horse racing jockeys

Old November 23rd 04, 06:47 AM
kramer

Default in person successes, horse racing jockeys

Hello All,

I peruse this newsgroup from time to time, but don't often post very much,
I collect autographed programs form Triple Crown horse races.

I live close to Pimlico race track. Last month was Maryland Million day,
and this past Saturday was also a big racing day, the Frank DeFrancis Dash
was held.

If I want to bet, I can do so from home, DSL connection and an online
betting account, gives me live odds and a satellite feed to watch the race.
I don't bet much these days. and go figure, I get a better kick out of
getting a famous jockey to autograph a program than I do collecting a
winning bet.

Earlier this spring was the Preakness, and the day before, the Black Eyed
Susans. At the end of the day on Black Eyed Susans day, I hung out by the
paddock, and waited for the riders to leave. Managed to catch Pat Day, he
autographed the 1992 Derby program for me, he won the race aboard Lil E.
Tee.

Alot of famous athletes or personalities can be real snobs when asked for an
autograph, but my experience has been that jockeys are pretty good about it.
And Pat Day was great, he spent a few minutes with me, and very much wanted
to personalize the signature, asking what he should write.

I didn't know what to tell him, realizing that maybe this is done so that
the stuff doesn't get resold on venues like eBay, which was not my intention
at all. So I told him my first name, and Pat, well known for being very big
on Christianity, and he wrote:

"(name snipped)
G-d Loves You!
John 3:16
Pat Day"

I am Jewish and the biblical reference does not mean a whole lot to me, but
the fact he personalized it meant a great deal.

When hanging out in the paddock that day, I learned my lesson, the jockeys
leave from that exit at the end of the day, but throughout the race day they
don't use that as an entrance, instead use a stairway leading from near the
winner's circle and clerk of scales, up to the jockey's quarters.

So along came Maryland Million day and I was better prepared, unfortunately
there was a big crowd that day, and that area I needed access to, near the
2nd floor of that stairway, it is a box seat section, and I had to wait
until the end of the day to get in, but was successful! Caught Stew
Elliott, who rode Smarty Jones to victory in this year's Kentucky Derby and
Preakness, he signed both programs for me.

This past Saturday was a very nice racing card, capped off by the Frank
DeFrancis Memorial Dash. The weather worked out in my favor, the forecast
was for rain, but in turned out to be only an occasional light drizzle, the
crowd didn't turn out and that box seat area I needed access to was largely
empty, except until the big race it filled out nicely, but by then I had
already staked my perfect position.

Caught Jerry Bailey, he autographed the '93 Derby (Sea Hero) and the '03
Belmont (Empire Maker) programs for me. Then caught Edgar Prado, who signed
the '04 Belmont (Birdstone) program for me.

I was happy to get the signatures, and will use that spot again and again,
for every big race day that comes up at Pimlico. Was upset when I got to
the track and prepared for Jerry Bailey to approach, I realized that there
was one program I wanted autographed that was missing, I was sure I brought
it, but could not find it, it was his '96 Derby winner (Grindstone). I buy
these unsigned off of eBay and when I got home I still could not locate it,
bummer.

Okay now, long write, but enjoyed it, I have previously scanned in and
posted my signed Derby collection up to my business website, hope to scan in
the new arrivals and post them, this holiday Thanksgiving weekend. For
signature reference check out and bookmark this webpage:

http://www.equipmentrecyclers.com/Ho....programs.html

Best Regards, Kramer

Old November 23rd 04, 02:25 PM
dahoov2

Nice detailed report and seems like you've been fortunate. It was
cool you didn't mind the inscription he gave; that was unique; he was
meaning well I imagine and its not often we go around telling them NOT
to put biblical verses on it. Of course 3:16 is the most quoted verse
in the bible I would imagine (at least next to Psalms...though we walk
through the valley of death....). Anyway, really neat to see someone
doing this. I've not done it yet, but I had opportunity last time
where the jockey and owners were available inside in the boxes where
we were. I should've gone for it, but not sure who was who!

www.starwarsautographcollecting.com
http://dahoov2.topcities.com
Old November 24th 04, 12:16 AM
pe2

Great success!

pe2

Old November 26th 04, 07:28 AM
kramer

kramer wrote
I was happy to get the signatures, and will use that spot again and again,
for every big race day that comes up at Pimlico. Was upset when I got to
the track and prepared for Jerry Bailey to approach, I realized that there
was one program I wanted autographed that was missing, I was sure I

brought
it, but could not find it, it was his '96 Derby winner (Grindstone). I

buy
these unsigned off of eBay and when I got home I still could not locate

it,
bummer.

found that darn program ... while I was packing up to go to the track that
day apparently it slid off the counter into the trash can! jeez a whiz

Kramer