Denomination of this French coin?

Old May 29th 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Denomination of this French coin?

I have a French coin that says on the 2x2 the following:

1346-84 France
Flanders Ghent (plak)

Rule of Louis II

The obverse has a helmeted lion

What I'm uncertain of is what is the denomonation of this coin called? I'm
trying to catalog it and need to know what to call it. I bought it because
I liked the look of it and I have this thing about medieval coins but not
that I know a lot about them yet. Thanks for any leads.

Old May 29th 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

The name is actually `plack' (in english) or `plaque' (in french). I
have often seen the many and varied `gros d'argent' coins of the low
countries, and Burgundy referred to as `plaques'.

I suggest you get hold of a copy of Jim Robert's `The Silver Coins of
Medieval France'. There is a section in it covering northern types
(including Flanders). Your coin (or one very similar to it) will most
likely be found in there.

Old May 29th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In article "Warren and Paula Jo Merrill" writes:
I have a French coin that says on the 2x2 the following:

1346-84 France
Flanders Ghent (plak)

Rule of Louis II

The obverse has a helmeted lion

What I'm uncertain of is what is the denomonation of this coin called? I'm
trying to catalog it and need to know what to call it. I bought it because
I liked the look of it and I have this thing about medieval coins but not
that I know a lot about them yet. Thanks for any leads.

In Dutch many coins were called "plak". Mostly copper, sometimes silver.
The value depended on the place. Somtimes the value was a "stuiver"
(esp. in Flanders). But also here it could very well be a fraction of a
"stuiver". As the coin is from Gent, I think it is very likely that it
is a "stuiver".
Old May 29th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

A very impressive type, and one of my favorites. It's # 8155 in my
book, assuming that it's the 32 mm double gros. It's called a plak,
plack, or plaque, depending on your language. Here's a picture of
the type...

http://someoldcoins.org/med/1907.htm

- Jim

Old May 30th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Hi Jim,

I wasn't sure what coin the OP actually had, or whether it had been
correctly attributed.

I think this one of mine is a Louis II Count of Flanders too (?). I'm
not 100% positive though. You don't seem to have this particular type
noted in your book, but maybe I was looking in the wrong area (?).

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/LouisIIobv.jpg
http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/LouisIIrev.jpg

As an aside, here's another Lion Double Gros. William V for Holland I
think (8172)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/WilliamVobv.jpg
http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/WilliamVrev.jpg

......and an example of a `botdrager'(8301) :-)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/Botdrager.jpg
http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/botdragerRev.jpg

Ian

Old May 31st 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Hi Ian,

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/LouisIIobv.jpg
http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/LouisIIrev.jpg

That Louis II gros of yours is one of the biggest gaping holes in
my book! I included pictures and attributions of about 50 varieties
of the lion gros but yours somehow didn't make it, and it's one
of the most common and most important. I have one just like it
(http://someoldcoins.org/med/1909.htm). It's listed (but not
illustrated) in Boudeau, #2230.

As an aside, here's another Lion Double Gros. William V for Holland I
think (8172)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/WilliamVobv.jpg
http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/WilliamVrev.jpg

Very nice imitative piece, based on the Flanders coin. Since the OP
mentioned a "helmeted lion", I'm quite sure he meant this type.

.....and an example of a `botdrager'(8301) :-)

http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/Botdrager.jpg
http://www.imb4u2.myby.co.uk/stuff/botdragerRev.jpg

Yes, very impressive lion! Best wishes,..

- Jim
Old June 1st 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Hi Jim,

Thanks for confirming the Lion gros as Louis II and for the Boudeau
reference.

The double gros surprise me how they managed to survive commercial
activity. They look so thin and fragile. For every one that survives in
present time there must have been hundreds that didn't.

Ian

Hi Ian,