1843 Seated Liberty Dollar

Old April 24th 05, 06:09 PM
larry

Default 1843 Seated Liberty Dollar

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with a guestimate as to the
value and background of this coin. I am not a coin collector, but have
always have had a mild fancy for older coins. :-)

Anyway, I was recently in San Francisco in a jewelry shop and came across a
box of loose oriental silver dollars (trade dollars, mostly). Rummaging
through them, I found several 1843 Seated Liberty Dollars with most being
heavily worn.

I found this one specimen that would likely rate as being in "fine"
condition. (sorry for the ambiguity, but that is the extent of my grading
knowlege). Here is my problem:

The reverse of the coin has the banner "IN GOD WE TRUST" over the eagle's
head. Otherwise, it looks just like any other 1843 seated liberty silver
dollar. I cannot find any 1843 seated liberty dollars that carry this
banner.

The coin does not appear to be a fake and has certainly seen circulation.
Any help concerning this coin would be most apprectiated.

Thanks in advance!

Old April 24th 05, 06:16 PM
Bob Flaminio

larry wrote:
The reverse of the coin has the banner "IN GOD WE TRUST" over the
eagle's head. Otherwise, it looks just like any other 1843 seated
liberty silver dollar. I cannot find any 1843 seated liberty dollars
that carry this banner.

If you have an 1843 dollar with IGWT, it's certainly a fake. That motto
wasn't added to dollar coins until 1866.

--
Bob

Old April 24th 05, 11:19 PM
Bob

As explained to you by Bob Flaminio, this coin is certainly a fake, and
probably is not made of silver either. It is a very recent (since
2003) counterfeit made in China. Condition is meaningless. It is not
even legal to own.

Bob Leonard