Today's Finds

Old September 19th 10, 05:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Today's Finds

I had a very good day!

Staunton, The Chess-Players' Handbook, Second Edition
Revised, (Bohn, 1848). There is a chip out of the top half
inch of the spine but otherwise very good. The first
edition was 1847.

Sir Walter Scott, Guy Mannering (Boston: Samuel Parker,
1821), text rebound for an 1822 collection of Waverly
novels, with front board detached but present.

Franz Boas, Primitive Art (Oslo 1927), excellent condition,
considered a seminal work in modern anthropology, focusing
on the art of the Pacific North West Peoples.

Upton Sinclair, Boston (Boston: Boni, 1928) first edition,
two volumes in slipcase. The books are in very good
condition, but the slipcase has been repaired by an amateur.
Sinclair's novel is about the Sacco-Vinzetti case and
corruption in Boston.

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen
Old September 19th 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson[_2_]

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message

I had a very good day!

Staunton, The Chess-Players' Handbook, Second Edition

. . .
Sir Walter Scott, Guy Mannering (Boston: Samuel Parker, 1821)

.. . .
Franz Boas, Primitive Art (Oslo 1927), excellent condition,

.. . .
Upton Sinclair, Boston (Boston: Boni, 1928) first edition,

So remind us please -- where do you hunt?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old September 19th 10, 10:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 9/19/2010 9:55 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
"Francis A. wrote in message

I had a very good day!

Staunton, The Chess-Players' Handbook, Second Edition

. . .
Sir Walter Scott, Guy Mannering (Boston: Samuel Parker, 1821)

. . .
Franz Boas, Primitive Art (Oslo 1927), excellent condition,

. . .
Upton Sinclair, Boston (Boston: Boni, 1928) first edition,

So remind us please -- where do you hunt?

In Connecticut. These were finds at a barn sale that a
part-time dealer in Glastonbury holds regularly to sell
those books he buys in bulk that he does not want to put on
the internet. He sells off at good prices to collectors and
dealers who are on his email list. Over the last five
years, this group has become like a book/social club. There
are 2 - 3 others in Connecticut who do a similar type sale,
but not as frequently.

Connecticut also has almost weekly library book sales, and
many of these books are donations from private parties. Two
Saturdays ago, for instance, three towns had sales with tens
of thousands of books. I went to one and sent my wife to
another. These sales are all listed on
http://www.booksalefinder.com/ , which I note has Canadian
listings. I see, for instance, that Mississauga had a sale
this weekend with 60,000 books. Yeah, that is a stretch
from Ottawa. But I see that by the Book Friends Store in
Ottawa is having a half price sale on October 2nd.

Old September 21st 10, 01:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Sep 19, 5:45*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

Connecticut also has almost weekly library book sales, and
many of these books are donations from private parties. *Two
Saturdays ago, for instance, three towns had sales with tens
of thousands of books. *I went to one and sent my wife to
another. *

Nothing like teamwork! Do you keep in contact via cellphone to avoid
duplication?

Old September 21st 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 9/20/2010 20:39 PM, J wrote:
On Sep 19, 5:45�pm, "Francis A.
wrote:

Connecticut also has almost weekly library book sales, and
many of these books are donations from private parties. �Two
Saturdays ago, for instance, three towns had sales with tens
of thousands of books. �I went to one and sent my wife to
another. �

Nothing like teamwork! Do you keep in contact via cellphone to avoid
duplication?

See, but not so much for duplication. I know the collection
much better than she does, so she may ask me whether I have
a certain book. Occasionally, though, when I am at a book
sale and she is not, I will call when I myself am uncertain.
It provides a considerable amount of exercise for her,
because mystery novels are on the second floor, while
history and English literature are in the Basement, and
American literature is on the first and second floors. My
questions to her tend to be, for example, "Basement bookcase
at the bottom of the stairs, what printing is Byatt's Angels
and Insects? I think it is the third shelf down."

Old September 27th 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

[To keep this thread going...] I recently took the train up to
Hastings-on-Hudson, where there are three bookstores worth a visit
(and hence, worth the train fare). I came home with the usual bag of
goodies, including:

- A proof copy of Robert Silverberg's LORD VALENTINE'S CASTLE. This is
the first novel in his major fantasy cycle, The Majipoor Chronicles.
Perfect condition, and reasonably priced.

- A proof copy of Anne Rice's TALE OF THE BODY THIEF.(I like to have a
proof of one book by authors I collect, and I have all her first
editions, either American or British.)

- A biography of British novelist Angela Thirkell, who brought
Trollope's Barsetshire stories into the twentieth century (for a
friend who likes her work).

- R.A. MacAvoy's THE LENS OF THE WORLD, the first volume in a fantasy
trilogy by the author of TEA WITH THE BLACK DRAGON.

- A very nice copy of THE ANNOTATED 'FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON'. This
was one of a planned series of annotated and re-translated editions of
the Jules Verne novels; as far as I can tell, however, only this and
TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA were ever printed.

- An Alfred Hitchcock anthology, MURDERER'S ROW, in a British (Severn
House) edition. This series seems to have started while the Random
House anthologies were still coming out, but much of the content--as
far as I can figure--came from the magazine that bore the director's
name. Since they don't duplicate the U.S. hardcover collections, I've
been on the lookout for these.

- A collection of essays by John Galsworthy, A COMMENTARY. This is
signed and numbered, #6 of 250 copies originally for sale.

All of this set me back a little over $100, plus transportation!