Netherlands: The End of the Cent?

Old November 1st 03, 03:19 AM
Dik T. Winter

In article "John Baumgart" writes:
"Scottishmoney" wrote in message
Not a surprise to see this happening, many of the countries that went into
the Eurozone had already eliminated equivalent denominations under 5
eurocent anyway. France was an exception where they had the 5 centimes
coins which I got in change occasionaly in grocery stores etc, they were
worth less than a Euro Cent. I remember only ever seeing one 1 pfennig

coin
in Germany, and I picked it up off of a sidewalk. I never got 1 or 2 Pf
coins in change.

I would receive these all the time up until the bitter end at supermarkets,
drug stores, liquor stores, gas stations, etc.

Indeed, the 1 and 2 pfennig were legal tender to the end, and you would
receive them. (Although the 2 pfennig was scarce.) In Austria, I think,
the 10 groschen was also common to the end, about 0.5 Eurocent. But I
think most Austrians preferred to loose them rather than to pay with them.

In the Netherlands, in 1980, it was decided to no longer produce any cent.
Total amounts in shops would be rounded to the nearest multiple of 5 cent
when payment was cash. This has worked extremely well for over 20 years.
I do not think there was a negative effect for the consumer, ans also not
for the shop-owners. So why not go that path again?

Note to the readers from the US. In Europe, consumer prices *always*
include tax (it is indeed an offence in the Netherlands, and I think
that is true in all of the EU, to show consumer prices without tax).
That all prices are including tax means that in some cases the tax will
be a fraction of a cent to large and in some cases a fraction of a cent
to small. That is not interesting, as in the total there is no difference.
Similar to rounding to 5 cents. In some cases it will cost the shop-owner
1 or 2 cents, in other cases the same cost will go to the consumer. In
all there is no difference. Now you might expect some consumers to go
to totals that end in 1, 2, 6 or 7. Well, they will save a few cents,
the shop-owner will miss a few cents, but for the shop-owner that is not
important, his total savings will far outweigh the few cents loss.
Old November 1st 03, 12:18 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Scottishmoney wrote:

I remember only ever seeing one 1 pfennig coin in Germany, and I picked it
up off of a sidewalk. I never got 1 or 2 Pf coins in change.

Oh, I did - until they got replaced by the cent coins in early 2002. Of
course, if a store/service has no price tags that require dealing with
pfennigs, there is no need to use them. Also, some stores had
"threshold" prices (x.89, x.98, etc.) for the single items but would
voluntarily round down the total amount. And at most gas stations the
cashier did not care for a pfennig: If you got gas for 30.01 or 29.99
DEM, you simply paid 30 marks. Some had and have plates where you drop
the small copper pieces and take them if you need to.

Now some countries, notably Austria and Italy are campaigning for 1 euro
notes. Seems like the citizens there do not like the larger denominated
coins.

Of course we could have "parallel" issues, like 1 and 2 euro notes in
addition to the existing coins, and 5 euro coins in addition to the
existing notes. As long as such rag euros circulate primarily in those
Southern countries, fine with me g. Don't know if it is a good idea,
though, to have three denominations with parallel use of coins and
notes.

Christian
Old November 1st 03, 12:18 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Dik T. Winter wrote:

I do not know how Austria fits here. Their largest regular coin of 10
Schilling would be some 70 cents, I think, but I do not know whether larger
coins have been in regular use since the last time I was there (and that
is long ago).

In Austria there were 20 schilling notes and 20 schilling coins (20 ATS
= 1.45 EUR ~ 1.70 USD). And while in Germany, for example, the 5 DEM
coins were much more "popular" than the 5 DEM notes, it was the other
way round in Austria ...

I would much more expect Greece to wish for small denomination
notes.

There is some support, I think. But apparently it is not as vocal as the
Austrian and Italian campaign for low value paper money.

Christian
Old November 1st 03, 12:36 PM
Scottishmoney

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
And at most gas stations the
cashier did not care for a pfennig: If you got gas for 30.01 or 29.99
DEM, you simply paid 30 marks. Some had and have plates where you drop
the small copper pieces and take them if you need to.

Many stores here now have a plate where you can dump off your pennies etc.
It kind of is interesting looking in them, once I saw a 1934 wheat cent in
one of them. In Canada earlier this year I saw a George VI Cent.

Of course we could have "parallel" issues, like 1 and 2 euro notes in
addition to the existing coins, and 5 euro coins in addition to the
existing notes. As long as such rag euros circulate primarily in those
Southern countries, fine with me g. Don't know if it is a good idea,
though, to have three denominations with parallel use of coins and
notes.

Christian

I think it could be a good idea, as you note in Germany larger coins had a
long tradition of having circulated, so the coins could circulate there,
while in Italy and Austria they could use banknotes instead. I am hoping
that Germany will come out with circulating 10 Euro Silver coins, like the
old 10 DM coins that I was able to pick off from circulation when I was
there. Next time I goto Germany I will get in the Frauenkirche in Munchen,
it was under restoration in 1993 when I was there. But at least I got to see
some very nice coins in a museum in Munchen, and also make some nice
purchases from dealers there.

Dave

---

Old November 1st 03, 07:00 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Scottishmoney wrote:

I am hoping that Germany will come out with circulating 10 Euro Silver
coins, like the old 10 DM coins that I was able to pick off from
circulation when I was there.

The 10 euro silver coins that we have in Germany do circulate, but to a
very limited extent only. Like the Dutch silver euros, they are issued
at face value, ie. there is no surcharge (unless you want the proof
version). So you could go to a bank in DE, or post office in NL, "buy"
some of those pieces and spend them without losing anything. (Try that
with a French or Spanish silver euro ...)

But since commems somehow "deviate" from what cashiers in supermarkets
etc. are used to, some are reluctant to accept them. Also, those
collectors coins are legal tender in the issuing country only. If we get
a 5 euro circulation coin, it will not be a silver piece, I think.

But at least I got to see some very nice coins in a museum in Munchen, and
also make some nice purchases from dealers there.

In case you fly to FRA and not directly to MUC, you may also consider a
quick "excursion" to Frankfurt: The Bundesbank's Money Museum has an
interesting collection of coins and notes from all over the world in its
permanent exhibition. (The current temporary exhibition, by the way,
features the "alternative" euro bank note designs - the ones that did
not make it ...) And the Historical Museum in Frankfurt shows the
Jaeger-Sammlung, a complete collection of all German silver and coins
from 1871. In Munich there is the Numismata, a pretty big coin show -
next time is early March 2004 ...

Christian
Old November 1st 03, 08:43 PM
Scottishmoney

In case you fly to FRA and not directly to MUC, you may also consider a
quick "excursion" to Frankfurt: The Bundesbank's Money Museum has an
interesting collection of coins and notes from all over the world in its
permanent exhibition. (The current temporary exhibition, by the way,
features the "alternative" euro bank note designs - the ones that did
not make it ...) And the Historical Museum in Frankfurt shows the
Jaeger-Sammlung, a complete collection of all German silver and coins
from 1871. In Munich there is the Numismata, a pretty big coin show -
next time is early March 2004 ...

Christian

I cannot remember the name of the museum I saw in Munchen, but I do remember
seeing some very early Roman Republican bronzes. The main reason I went to
Munchen was to see the Fraunkirche, but it was closed for restoration. So I
just ambled around the city, found some coin dealers through the phone
directory and got pointed to the numismatic museum. It was not large, but
did have nice early bronzes.

I once had a collection of Hamburg and Bavarian coins, I sold them years
ago, but I hope to collect the Bavarian Thalers again, they are some of my
favourite states coinages. My earliest traceable ancestry is in Bavaria so
I have a preference for it. Gees, I was there, and can you believe I did
not see the Alps? Reason to go back, German chocolate, good beer, beautiful
scenery, and nice coins most importantly.

Dave
"Bayern Uber Alles"

---

Old November 2nd 03, 07:50 PM
Edward McGrath

: o

99 cent CDs, 50 cent GI Joe comics, Maxim # 1, much more!!! Cecil Adkins General 0 October 21st 03 10:00 PM
WBCC Newsmail 367 Martin Peeters Coins 0 August 23rd 03 07:41 AM
FA: Canada singles/group lot, scarce coins from Australia, Netherlands, Egypt, Swiss BU, German, French hunlsi Coins 0 August 17th 03 04:05 PM
Yet another ANA report Ed. Stoebenau Coins 3 August 8th 03 01:34 AM
2009 Lincoln Cent Reverses Alan & Erin Williams Coins 22 July 22nd 03 02:41 AM