Arrogant Ebay

Old August 7th 03, 02:01 AM
Kris Baker

"Dr. Richard L. Hall" wrote in message

Are you talking about the FTC "Do not call" law. You really should read

it.

"Consumers whose numbers are on the National Do Not Call Registry may
continue to receive calls after October 1 from businesses with which they
have an established business relationship, which lasts for 18 months from

consumer's last purchase from or payment to a company, or 3 months from a
consumer's inquiry or application to a company. "

This is from the FTC website. http://www.ftc.gov

If you don't want to be called by someone with whom you have a business
relationship, you must specifically request it from that business.

The OP's complaint is against eBay, who is merely asking him to abide
by the rules he agreed to, when he signed on to use their service. Note
that the issue is with eBay, and has nothing to do with a DNC list.

It is also apparent that, someone who the OP claims to have such a
"business relationship" with, has complained to eBay, asking that
their rules be enforced.

Kris

Old August 7th 03, 02:07 AM
Kris Baker

"The Lump" wrote in message

If OP loses his ebay account he will be losing it for complying with
ebay's own rules.

If OP sends emails to pre-existing customers, this DOES NOT constitute
spam due to the pre-existing business relationship. See my reply to
Dave Busch.

Which was totally wrong, and from which you snipped out
eBay's definition of spam.

Kris

Old August 7th 03, 02:15 AM
Dale Hallmark

Linda

Frank brings these very same subjects up again and again.
This is one of the less distasteful ones but they get old anyway.

Dale

"Linda" wrote in message
In this thread, we have a perfect example of what I was trying to say

about
the "no-scammer" group -- a full and fair airing of BOTH sides of an issue
makes it abundantly clear where the truth is. "Censoring" out people is a
tactic of scared, weak-kneed people who don't have the courage of their
supposed convictions.

"Byron L. Reed" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 06:24:04 GMT, (Frank
Provasek) wrote:

I sometimes send email to my ebay customers when I put up a lot of new
stuff at one cent start and no reserve. I have their email addresses

from
them writing to ME (not sent through ebay's system.) Got a PHONE CALL

from
ebay warning me not to send any more spam email to "their" customers.

Blah .. Blah .. Blah..

Haven't we been here before? Why is it that this crap never seem to

sink
in Frank? Do you think somehow the rules apply to everyone other that
yourself?

I don't know which is more offensive, you being a repeat spammer or a
repeat crybaby.

http://tinyurl.com/j7op

BLReed

Remove the "R_E_M_O_V_E" from the email address to reply directly.
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php

Old August 7th 03, 02:19 AM
Kris Baker

"Kris Dockter" wrote in message
m...

There may be another rare instance when I'd do it again, but I try to
be careful and selective about who I contact from my list of buyer's
and not blindly e-mail everyone who has bought from me from day one.
Also, I certainly wouldn't do it too often, especially with the same
group of buyers.

Kris

Before you do it again, read eBay's spam policy. You *can*
send a request to ask if people want to be put on your
mailing list (or otherwise notified)....BUT that request can't
be the only reason for the email.

Kris

Old August 7th 03, 02:45 AM
Bruce Remick

Frank Provasek wrote:

In article , "Scottishmoney" wrote:

Frank Provasek wrote in message
gy.com...

I sometimes send email to my ebay customers when I put up a lot of new
stuff at one cent start and no reserve. I have their email addresses from
them writing to ME (not sent through ebay's system.) Got a PHONE CALL from
ebay warning me not to send any more spam email to "their" customers.

I get particularly annoyed when sellers on ebaY think it is okay to spam
such as the above. I generally have a fairly low opin. of ebAy, but I think
they are right on this one. BTW, someone you sold too obviously reported
you for said activity or you likely would have never heard from eBay.

Might I suggest you request of your bidders that they be put on your list,
it might make for a better situation for you.

BTW I block sellers like you that spam afterwards and will not bid on their
items again.

Dave Parrish

Then you are one of those that puts principle before practicality.

I have had many of my customers for YEARS before ebay existed.
If you think ebay can prohibit me from contacting my own customers
just because I also have sold to them on ebay, you're a sad case.

These many long-time customers are hopefully not the ones who blew the
whistle on you to eBay. You apparently ****ed off a new bidder who
thought he had a simple "eBay experience" with you, while you considered
it to be a budding "business relationship".

A bidder submits a bid to eBay-- not to you. You submit your auction to
eBay, subject to it's approval. Both of you are eBay customers first,
and must abide by eBay's rules, whether or not you consider them
impractical, illogical, or illegal.

Bruce
Old August 7th 03, 03:05 AM
Bruce Remick

The Lump wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:55:41 -0500, Richard Ward
wrote:

You don't really believe what you're typing, do you?

The fact that the government doesn't make certain behavior illegal
doesn't mean a private company from restricting you from using their
services if you behave in a certain fashion.

Following your advice would be an almost certain way to insure that the
OP loses his eBay account.

If OP loses his ebay account he will be losing it for complying with
ebay's own rules.

If OP sends emails to pre-existing customers, this DOES NOT constitute
spam due to the pre-existing business relationship. See my reply to
Dave Busch. Understand that I am only citing the law as defined by the
Federal Trade Commission. Also understand that if you contact them,
they will tell you exactly what I am telling you.

OP sending pre-existing customers offers via email DOES NOT constitute
spam. I can cite plenty of anti-spam laws which state this.

Laws notwithstanding, the pre-existing (George Carlin, anyone?)
customers Frank keeps citing were probably not the ones who complained
to eBay about his spam. It apparently was one or more of his "new"
auction winners who objected to the spam and chose to notify eBay. If
Frank were only sending emails to his old business contacts, he surely
would have had no problems with eBay.

Bruce
Old August 7th 03, 03:05 AM
Kris Baker

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

Laws notwithstanding, the pre-existing (George Carlin, anyone?)
customers Frank keeps citing were probably not the ones who complained
to eBay about his spam. It apparently was one or more of his "new"
auction winners who objected to the spam and chose to notify eBay. If
Frank were only sending emails to his old business contacts, he surely
would have had no problems with eBay.

Bruce

Not only that, but if eBay CALLED him (which would be odd, considering
email is their communication of choice), he's probably being threatened
with suspension due to multiple complaints.

Being bull-headed in the wrong places only gets you the wrong
end of the bull -- and Frank's end is the stinky one.

Kris

Old August 7th 03, 03:30 AM
Byron L. Reed

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:22:40 GMT, Deborah Stevenson,,,
wrote:

(Frank Provasek) writes:

Are you saying Ebay has the right to ban me from contacting my customers
that I have been sending email to back in the days when my Compuserve
address was 72127,1057 just because these same people have now bought
something from me through ebay?

No. He's saying eBay has the right to close your account with them for
doing so.

Deborah Stevenson

Close, Deborah. I'm saying that eBay has a right to close his account for
sending SPAM about his eBay auctions to anyone OR for sending SPAM to any
customer gained from eBay. Obviously they can't do anything about him
sending non-eBay SPAM to people not on eBay.

Old August 7th 03, 03:40 AM
Slapshot

DONDI3 wrote:

In article , Todd Nevius writes:

Steve Tyson wrote:

I will certainly never buy anything from FRANKCOINS. I have also sent safe
harbor a copy of his post ADMITTING he spams ebay members.

What an anal jerk.

Exactly.

Tattle-tale is such an attractive personality trait, don't you think?

dondi3
DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.

ITS NOT BEING A TATTLE TALE HE IS HELPING EBAY PROTECT OUR
MEMBER COMMUNITY.
Old August 7th 03, 04:06 AM
Tina - AffordableHOST.com

"Todd Nevius" wrote in message
Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:

"The Lump" wrote in message
Frank;

whether you are soliciting via email or soliciting via telephone, the
law

You do realize, of course, that the internet is not governed, or

controlled,
by the US goverment...right?

--Tina

\

If you are located in the US, they sure do!

No, they don't.

--Tina

--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com
20% Discount Code: newsgroup

Ebay Email Scams.........Letter and Ebay response CalRima Autographs 2 August 23rd 04 02:43 AM
Ebay autograph policy Gummby3 Autographs 0 April 16th 04 01:29 AM
do not forward OFF this group that Xlist dahoov2 Autographs 4 March 9th 04 03:45 AM
eBay spoofs John Yamamoto-Wilson Books 0 January 23rd 04 12:46 AM
Ebay FRAUD alert ThomasTeeter Juke Boxes 6 January 22nd 04 04:34 AM