Arrogant Ebay

Old August 6th 03, 09:57 PM
Byron L. Reed

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 06:24:04 GMT, (Frank
Provasek) wrote:

I sometimes send email to my ebay customers when I put up a lot of new
stuff at one cent start and no reserve. I have their email addresses from
them writing to ME (not sent through ebay's system.) Got a PHONE CALL from
ebay warning me not to send any more spam email to "their" customers.

Blah .. Blah .. Blah..

Haven't we been here before? Why is it that this crap never seem to sink
in Frank? Do you think somehow the rules apply to everyone other that
yourself?

I don't know which is more offensive, you being a repeat spammer or a
repeat crybaby.

http://tinyurl.com/j7op

BLReed

Remove the "R_E_M_O_V_E" from the email address to reply directly.
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old August 6th 03, 10:12 PM
Linda

In this thread, we have a perfect example of what I was trying to say about
the "no-scammer" group -- a full and fair airing of BOTH sides of an issue
makes it abundantly clear where the truth is. "Censoring" out people is a
tactic of scared, weak-kneed people who don't have the courage of their
supposed convictions.

Old August 6th 03, 10:17 PM
Jerry Salley

There is a difference between customer service on a sale and just plain
advertising.
Look at all the replies you've gotten and try to figure out how everybody
else feels about this. This is how almost everybody feels, not just the
people in this group. Are you the only one right?

Jerry

Old August 6th 03, 10:54 PM
None

"Frank Provasek" wrote

I sometimes send email to my ebay customers when I put up a lot of new
stuff at one cent start and no reserve. I have their email addresses from
them writing to ME (not sent through ebay's system.) Got a PHONE CALL from
ebay warning me not to send any more spam email to "their" customers.

------------

None wrote:

SPAM mailings cost you more bids than you gain.

--------------

"Todd Nevius" wrote

It's not spam if you have a previous business relationship with
someone.

------------

OK, I stand corrected; it's not SPAM. It's UCE (unsolicited commercial email) and just as much
against eBay's rules as spamming Usenet.

Old August 6th 03, 11:04 PM
The Lump

Frank;

whether you are soliciting via email or soliciting via telephone, the
law is very specific. Once you open up a business relationship with a
customer, you are allowed to solicit offers or other business related
material to this customer. If your customers do not want to be
contacted any further, they must email you telling you this. At this
point, you MUST cease any further solicitation.

Ebay has no right to ask you to cease solicitation, nor, do they have
any right to discipline you in this matter. If I were you, I would
politly inform ebay that you will cease further solicitation with this
customer, however, you will need this customer to contact you
directly.

You may see the specifics in relation to telephone solicitation he

www.donotcall.gov

Provasek) wrote:

I sometimes send email to my ebay customers when I put up a lot of new
stuff at one cent start and no reserve. I have their email addresses from
them writing to ME (not sent through ebay's system.) Got a PHONE CALL from
ebay warning me not to send any more spam email to "their" customers.

I thought "customers" were the ones who pay the money. I pay ebay
$200 to $400 a month in fees. I am THEIR customer. The buyers of my
merchandise are MY customers.

I asked the guy WHAT email was someone complaining about,
WHO was the complainer, WHAT IP address did it originate from,
WHEN was it sent, HOW did they know it was not edited or entirely
fabricated in a text editor...

sorry - that's confidential.

RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO MINIMUMS
http://frankcoins.com
Ebay Powerseller FRANKCOINS Texas Auction License 11259
Board member of Texas Coin Dealers Association, Fort Worth Coin Club.
Member: Texas Numismatic Assoc, American Numismatic Assoc.

The Lump(AKA Clarence)
Old August 6th 03, 11:20 PM
Eric C.

Then you are one of those that puts principle before practicality.

I have had many of my customers for YEARS before ebay existed.
If you think ebay can prohibit me from contacting my own customers
just because I also have sold to them on ebay, you're a sad case.

I don't post here too often anymore, but Frank, you should really consider what
everyone else has said here. Most people here have respectfully disagreed with
you and you should just accept that. After all, you did post, essentially
inquiring as to what people thought about your situation, right? Well, the
people have spoken. So instead of continuously trying to stand up for what YOU
think is right when quite obviously everyone else thinks is wrong, you might
want to consider what other people say for a change. Otherwise, it makes you
look like the arrogant one, not anyone else.

Eric Cheung

P.S. I agree with what most others have said about how they would react
disdainfully to the addition of their e-mails to a mailing list. It is
spam/unsolicited e-mail, and quite frankly, I believe this is a violation of
principle as well as practicality.
Old August 6th 03, 11:23 PM
rhodo chrosite

Spam has to do with conSENT not conTENT. Whether I have had a business
relationship or not if I find your email offensive or too frequent (which
could mean just once) I'll file a spam complaint with your ISP and in this
case possibly with eBay. It's my mailbox and my time and resources. Junk
mailers are trespassing.

Old August 6th 03, 11:43 PM
Frank Provasek

In article , The Lump wrote:
Frank;

whether you are soliciting via email or soliciting via telephone, the
law is very specific. Once you open up a business relationship with a
customer, you are allowed to solicit offers or other business related
material to this customer. If your customers do not want to be
contacted any further, they must email you telling you this. At this
point, you MUST cease any further solicitation.

Ebay has no right to ask you to cease solicitation, nor, do they have
any right to discipline you in this matter. If I were you, I would
politly inform ebay that you will cease further solicitation with this
customer, however, you will need this customer to contact you
directly.

You may see the specifics in relation to telephone solicitation he

www.donotcall.gov

THANK YOU for one person seeing the point I am making....

Old August 6th 03, 11:47 PM
Byron L. Reed

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:04:02 -0400, The Lump wrote:

Ebay has no right to ask you to cease solicitation, nor, do they have
any right to discipline you in this matter. If I were you, I would
politly inform ebay that you will cease further solicitation with this
customer, however, you will need this customer to contact you
directly.

Bull. They have the right to ask him to do whatever they wish. They also
have the ability to remove him from their system if he does not comply with
the rules we all agreed to.

Old August 6th 03, 11:50 PM
Frank Provasek

In article , "Tina - AffordableHOST.com" wrote:

"Frank Provasek" wrote

It's not spam if you have a previous business relationship with
someone.

Oh really? Care to point out where you gathered this bit of knowledge from?

--Tina

ALL proposed anti-spam legislation

Existing junk fax laws

Existing do not call laws

It's obvious you are really well-versed on business legal issues. Try joining
a trade organization, or the National Federation of Independent Businesses.

RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO MINIMUMS http://frankcoins.com
Ebay Powerseller FRANKCOINS Texas Auction License 11259
Board member of Texas Coin Dealers Association, Fort Worth Coin Club.
Member: Texas Numismatic Assoc, American Numismatic Assoc.

Ebay Email Scams.........Letter and Ebay response CalRima Autographs 2 August 23rd 04 02:43 AM
Ebay autograph policy Gummby3 Autographs 0 April 16th 04 01:29 AM
do not forward OFF this group that Xlist dahoov2 Autographs 4 March 9th 04 03:45 AM
eBay spoofs John Yamamoto-Wilson Books 0 January 23rd 04 12:46 AM
Ebay FRAUD alert ThomasTeeter Juke Boxes 6 January 22nd 04 04:34 AM