first day cancel

Old November 6th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default first day cancel

Is this a first day cancellation?
http://cjoint.com/data/lgoHHCXvwn.htm

d8^)

Blair

Old November 6th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
ups.com...

Is this a first day cancellation?
http://cjoint.com/data/lgoHHCXvwn.htm

So they say. Cancelled 1st July 1855 (day of issuance) in Landskrona
(Sweden). According to the Danish newspaper Berlingske, it has recently been
sold sold at Hoiland Auctions for tbe neat sum of 3,7m DKK, roughly
corresponding to 62,5m US$.
http://www.berlingske.dk/indland/artikel:aid=819158/ (in Danish only)

Nice Christmas present to a collector friend ... ;-)

Mette

Old November 6th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Mette" skrev i en meddelelse
. ..

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
ups.com...

Is this a first day cancellation?
http://cjoint.com/data/lgoHHCXvwn.htm

So they say. Cancelled 1st July 1855 (day of issuance) in Landskrona
(Sweden). According to the Danish newspaper Berlingske, it has recently
been
sold sold at Hoiland Auctions for tbe neat sum of 3,7m DKK, roughly
corresponding to 62,5m US$.
http://www.berlingske.dk/indland/artikel:aid=819158/ (in Danish only)

Nice Christmas present to a collector friend ... ;-)

How foolish of me not to proof read before hitting the send-button!
The correct conversion to US$ is (of course) appr. US$ 640,000.

Mette

Old November 7th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Mette wrote:
"Mette" skrev i en meddelelse
. ..

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
ups.com...

Is this a first day cancellation?
http://cjoint.com/data/lgoHHCXvwn.htm

So they say. Cancelled 1st July 1855 (day of issuance) in Landskrona
(Sweden). According to the Danish newspaper Berlingske, it has recently
been
sold sold at Hoiland Auctions for tbe neat sum of 3,7m DKK
Mette

Thanks, Mette:

I hope that some member of my family has
bought this for my Christmas stocking.

d8*)

Blair

Old November 7th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
ups.com...

Is this a first day cancellation?
http://cjoint.com/data/lgoHHCXvwn.htm

So they say. Cancelled 1st July 1855 (day of issuance) in Landskrona
(Sweden). According to the Danish newspaper Berlingske, it has recently
been
sold sold at Hoiland Auctions for tbe neat sum of 3,7m DKK
Mette

Thanks, Mette:

I hope that some member of my family has
bought this for my Christmas stocking.

Of this particular stamp, cancelled on the day of issuance, only two are
known to exist. It is a well known fact, at least here in Denmark, that
dealers charge a considerably higher price for such items, particularly for
pre-war stamps. Now I wonder whether modern covers, franked with one or more
new stamps and commercially used and cancelled on the day of issuance, would
also fetch much higher prices. Of course, if the seller is identical with
the recipient of such a cover, one can always argue that it was mailed "on
agreement" with the the sender. but in most cases I doubt they would be. At
any rate, assuming that the seller has inherited such a cover from a death
estate, the argument would be hard to prove.

What is the practise -- if any -- in other countries?

Mette

Old November 17th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

I am not a collector of FDCs, but in my opinion a "commercial" or
"accidental" FDC has more legitimacy than the overproduced overpriced
modern collectible as a purely philatelic item. That is not to say that
the collectible is not a legitimate item from the point of view of
education and historical interest. The "potted histories" included in
such items are usually a masterpiece of easily digestible information
on a multitude of subjects, and a great deal of time and effort goes
into (some of ) the offerings available. I have a couple of
"typewritten" FDCs from the early days of Elizebethan GB commemoratives
- prepared by myself as a teenager, and in retrospect my time ( and
money) would have been better spent in preparing more "anonymous"
looking covers with no explicit mention of First Day of Issue.
Dishonest perhaps............but more collectible?

Malcolm

Old November 20th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Marek Zyskowski

The first day covers provided by most postal authorities are much better
looking than anything homemade in the past. Most include a small paragraph
explaining the significance of the stamp. They are mass produced. So they
are not nearly as rare as an accidental cover that you describe. Without the
fancy cachet I don t see the point in collecting a cover that was issued on
the first day. Personally I would prefer a cover mailed by someone famous
instead.

ups.com...