eFakes-L

Old August 23rd 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Welsh

Default eFakes-L

A new Yahoo discussion list has been created to provide a forum for
exploring Internet fraud involving sale of fake and misrepresented
collectibles:

I have recently posted several messages to RCC addressing the extent of such
fraud on eBay. There appears to be interest among some RCC listmembers in
trying to do something about the problem.

There have also been comments by other RCC listmembers to the effect that
action should be taken instead of merely posting further examples of
fraudulent auctions. That is a valid point, and establishment of this
discussion forum focused on that topic is the first step in the process of
better understanding the problem, and devising approaches for constructive
action.

When there is something significant to report from eFakes-L activities, I
may post an occasional update to give RCC listmembers who have not joined
eFakes-L some idea of what is happening. Apart from that, further discussion
of eBay fakes should now move to this new forum.

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com

Old August 23rd 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:05:07 -0700, "Dave Welsh"
wrote:

When there is something significant to report from eFakes-L activities, I
may post an occasional update to give RCC listmembers who have not joined
eFakes-L some idea of what is happening. Apart from that, further discussion
of eBay fakes should now move to this new forum.

Is that an order or a suggestion, that further discussion take place
not here but there?

I suspect maybe one or two people, maybe several dozen, will still
want to discuss fakes on eBay, and alert others to them, in this
forum, which as its name implies is for the discussion of all aspects
of coins and coin collecting.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old August 24th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Welsh

wrote:

When there is something significant to report from eFakes-L activities, I
may post an occasional update to give RCC listmembers who have not joined
eFakes-L some idea of what is happening. Apart from that, further

discussion
of eBay fakes should now move to this new forum.

Is that an order or a suggestion, that further discussion take place
not here but there?

That is, of course, a suggestion. It really was intended to address threads
I had started.

It was motivated by comments made by yourself, among others, who didn't seem
to appreciate my posting further examples of this sort of thing on RCC.

I suspect maybe one or two people, maybe several dozen, will still
want to discuss fakes on eBay, and alert others to them, in this
forum, which as its name implies is for the discussion of all aspects
of coins and coin collecting.

That's certainly possible. Those who don't like such comments will have to
take that up with the individuals concerned. I have done what I could to get
this ongoing discussion moved to an appropriate home off the RCC list.

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com

Old August 24th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula

"Dave Welsh" wrote in

I suspect maybe one or two people, maybe several dozen, will still
want to discuss fakes on eBay, and alert others to them, in this
forum, which as its name implies is for the discussion of all
aspects of coins and coin collecting.

That's certainly possible. Those who don't like such comments will
have to take that up with the individuals concerned. I have done
what I could to get this ongoing discussion moved to an appropriate
home off the RCC list.

I think what Reid was saying (if I understand correctly) is that RCC is
an appropriate home for this type of discussion, and that we don't
really need another forum. Does that sound about right, Reid?

I, for one, like reading about the fakes, and hope these discussions
continue, here. I don't really have time to read 10 different
forums/newsgroups.

Keep up the good fight to get rid of the counterfeiters!

Thanks!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old August 24th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton

In a recent message Eric Babula wrote:

[...]

I agree. Why squirrel discussion on this important subject elsewhere?

I may dislike discussion on the minutae of States quarters, but that is
no reason to have a separate discussion group on the subject!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old August 24th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Welsh

"Eric Babula" wrote in message
1...
[...]

Which just goes to prove, I suppose, the old adage that you can't hope to
please everyone.

There were comments to the effect that discussing fake ancient coins being
sold on eBay was repetitious, that everyone in RCC understood the problem,
and continuing the discussion here was starting to annoy people - so why
didn't I go do something about it instead of just posting more messages to
RCC?

I did.

Nothing in the establishment of eFakes-L in any way restricts discussion in
RCC. If you visit eFakes-L, you will find a lot of in depth discussion of a
type that might well be thought inappropriate for RCC, judging by the
reception some of my messages got here. All RCC listmembers are welcome at
eFakes-L if they would like to join, it is an open list.

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com

Old August 24th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula

"Dave Welsh" wrote in

anks!

Which just goes to prove, I suppose, the old adage that you can't
hope to please everyone.

There were comments to the effect that discussing fake ancient
coins being sold on eBay was repetitious, that everyone in RCC
understood the problem, and continuing the discussion here was
starting to annoy people - so why didn't I go do something about it
instead of just posting more messages to RCC?

I did.

Nothing in the establishment of eFakes-L in any way restricts
discussion in RCC. If you visit eFakes-L, you will find a lot of in
depth discussion of a type that might well be thought inappropriate
for RCC, judging by the reception some of my messages got here. All
RCC listmembers are welcome at eFakes-L if they would like to join,
it is an open list.

Oh, I guess I didn't pay enough attention. I missed the messages telling
you to knock it off. I will admit I have only been reading sporadically,
lately.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old August 24th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:28:19 -0700, "Dave Welsh"
wrote:

There were comments to the effect that discussing fake ancient coins being
sold on eBay was repetitious, that everyone in RCC understood the problem,
and continuing the discussion here was starting to annoy people - so why
didn't I go do something about it instead of just posting more messages to
RCC?

This wasn't quite what the objection was. It was that reposting here
the scam eBay auctions involving ancient coins uncovered by others to
"show what was really going on," in your words, was not the best
approach to take if you want to appear objective and unbiased rather
than just self-interested and if your objective was, as you stated, to
solve the problem with eBay scams.

It's not quite true either that "everyone in RCC" understands the
problem. Newbies come here all the time, the types of people who
typically are victims of these types of scams. It never hurts to point
out scam auctions. Some experienced collectors can benefit or enjoy
this as well. Some don't and would prefer not to see another post like
this or think about this kind of criminal behavior. But nobody forces
them to read all the posts here, and provided you (or anyone) take
about two seconds and properly label your post with an informative
subject line, these people can very easily avoid reading these kinds
of posts.

You're free also of course to start up any kind of forum you want. It
was just kind of strange seeing in your announcement of your new forum
that "further discussion of eBay fakes should now move to this new
forum." It's clear now that you didn't intend it to sound this way,
which makes sense given that discussion of eBay fakes has gone on here
far longer than you or I or most people have been here. Best of luck,
sincerely, with the new forum. I'm sure you'll do good work with this
just as you've done with the cultural patrimony issue.

Old August 24th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula

[...]

Dave -

I hope you report back to RCC, with any findings and/or accomplishments.
I mean, if you (or the group) get certain scammers busted and kicked out
of ebaY, it would be nice for the rest of us to know, and maybe how it
was accomplished.

I probably won't read the new forum (much, anyway - I'll try to pop in
occasionally), but would like to hear of any good that's being done for
the coin collecting community. Keep us RCCers informed.

Thanks for your efforts.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA