Foreign coin ID?

Old February 14th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

Default Foreign coin ID?

I've been a collector my whole life, I have 100 countries' coins, but
I'm baffled by one. Anyone here with foreign coin expertise, please
weigh in...

Obverse (we'll call it that): Two dates on top, 1974 left (I presume
the year of the coin) and 1394 right (no idea). Below 1394, what
looks like 1/4 of a sun's rays. Below that, the number 10. Left of
those two items, two flowers, one pointing straight out and one
pointing toward the sun's rays. Arabic or other Asian-cursive writing
on the bottom, flanking the 10.

Reverse: More Arabic writing on top. Center is some sort of seal. It
has a lion on either side climbing the seal; the one on the left faces
right, the one on the right faces you. On top of the seal is a
crown. Inside the seal is half a sun's rays (the upper half), with a
five-pointed star beneath (traced through like a pentagram). There's
a scroll beneath the shield with more indecipherable non-English
writing.

Every Arabic coin I've looked up has some sort of English (or at least
Western-lettered) writing on it, same with any South Asian coin. It's
1974, so too early for any of the former Soviet republics. Can anyone
pin this down? Thanks!
Old February 14th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

Since a picture is worth 1000 words... http://www.alpsroads.net/www/coin/
Old February 14th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour[_2_]

Steve wrote:
On Feb 13, 11:18 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

It's a 10 Santimat from Morocco. Krause lists it as Y#60 - made of
brass. 1394 is the "Hejira" date for 1974.

--
Jim Seymour
Old February 14th 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

On Feb 14, 12:16 am, Jim Seymour wrote:
Steve wrote:
On Feb 13, 11:18 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

Incredible. Thank you!!
Old September 16th 12, 09:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:18:38 PM UTC-6, Steve wrote:
[...]

HI Steve-

My daughter just found the exact same coin except it has the number 50 on it and the opposite side has a man's face on it. Would love for someone to help me out on this one? M.Harrison
Old September 17th 12, 02:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Slime Lowlife[_3_]

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

These are both Moroccan coins. The first one is a 10 santimat piece, &
the second a 50 santimat coin.