Why would PCGS grade a Morgan 64+

Old September 15th 12, 12:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John N

Default Why would PCGS grade a Morgan 64+

Not my auction, but noticed the grade and wondered is this commonly done?
I've never seen this before
JN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1884-CC-Morg...em53eeb 59404
Old September 15th 12, 03:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Sep 14, 7:04*pm, John N wrote:
Not my auction, but noticed the grade and wondered is this commonly done?
I've never seen this before
JN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1884-CC-Morg...GS-MS-64-Plus-...

This is another program that was started by PCGS a couple of years
ago. A plus mark grade is suppose to signal that a coin is at the high
end of that grade level. PCGS only gives this to coins that are grade
XF45 or higher. Surprisingly these do well at auction and can bring a
premium above what an average 64 grade would bring. This basically the
same thing that NGC does with the star they place on their slabs. If
you can get CAC too put a sticker of approval on your coin and they
have a green and gold color star, it can bring an even more
significant amount of money. I personally don't buy it and I believe
the grading company's are just using it for another cash cow. Not for
someone like me who just wants too collect and have no interest in
profits. I'll leave that up to my family once I pass.
Old September 16th 12, 09:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

On Sep 14, 9:41*pm, sgt23 wrote:
On Sep 14, 7:04*pm, John N wrote:

[...]

When many coins are priced such that an MS64 might be $75 and MS65
$400 -- the plus grade on a high end MS64 will typically bring $100
or even $150. There have always been coins which just miss the next
higher grade, and may be nicer than a low end coon of the next higher
grade. The plus grades allow these coins to bring the higher prices
that they deserve.
Old September 17th 12, 12:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Benveniste

On 9/14/2012 10:41 PM, sgt23 wrote:
This [is] basically the
same thing that NGC does with the star they place on their slabs.

Actually, NGC now can apply both pluses _and_ stars to a grade:
http://www.ngccoin.com/coingrading/p...ignations.aspx

In my opinion, there are two reasons for these new designations. The
first is to try to attract more registry set collectors away from
PCGS. The second is to take in more resubmission fees.

What I don't see them doing is providing any more substantive value
for collectors.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
You don't have to sort of enhance reality. There is nothing

New Morgan: What would you grade it? Randy Thompson Coins 19 June 29th 06 08:39 PM
FS: FS: Phree NGC Morgan - 1880/79-CC PCGS Morgan - 1895 PCGS Morgan - 1885-CC PCGS Morgan - 05 Gold BestCoin.Com Coins 0 January 17th 05 07:27 PM
Morgan grade? zax Coins 5 September 10th 04 01:54 AM
What does this Morgan grade at? if-only-i-knew Coins 3 July 21st 04 03:08 PM
FA: 1854-O Arrows Liberty Half, 1885-O NGC MS65 Morgan, 1904-O Morgan PCGS MS64, 1804 Half Cent, 1886 Morgan MS65 Toned,1880-O Morgan PCI AU55, 1866 3-cent nickel, AND MORE.. P. Nichols Coins 4 June 27th 04 08:18 PM