Seeburg Lubrication Questions

Old February 3rd 04, 07:00 PM
Mark Robinson

Default Seeburg Lubrication Questions

Hi All,

I'm am in process of restoring a Seeburg R and have degreased the mech. I want to re-lubricate it and have some questions.

1. Is there a better sub out there for Lubriplate? From my experience, this stuff tends to dry out.
2. After degreasing, do you recommend spraying the entire mech down with some sort of light lubricant (e.g. Silicone or WD40)
to prevent rust? If so, what would you use?
3. The lube chart in the manual is pretty detailed, but I suspect that since all grease and oil has been removed, I should hit
more points than listed. For example, the rack and pinion or casting base is not shown as needing lubrication, but I suspect
some sort of grease or oil would be good thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any info,

Mark

Old February 3rd 04, 09:08 PM
BlunderBuss

There was just a very large discussion on this on the jukebox list just
recently. The general recommendation from a guy who actually worked at
Seeburg was to use a number 2 graphite cup grease. I have a number for it at
the office from the supplier. Apparently it has the benefit of being able to
be 'rejuvenated' by a light oil application.

As far as oil for the motor and general lube, use the 3-in1 MOTOR OIL, not
the general purpose 3-in-1 oil.

The other generally recommended one is lubriplate, which I have personally
used, but am not sure how it will be in 30 years from now.

Almost everyone universally agrees do not, repeat do not use stuff like
WD-40 as the wax and other additives attract dust and dirt over time and
will harden to a big mess.

I don't profess to be an expert, but others are and this is what they tell
me and I am inclined to believe them.

cheers.

Old February 3rd 04, 10:15 PM
Joseph A. Tony Dziedzic

Throw away the WD-40; it is NOT a lubricant. (Hint - "WD" stands for "water
displacement".)

Unless you're operating the mech in an extremely humid environment, it doesn't
make much sense to spray any lubricant on it; all that does is attract dust.

Most heavy lubricants - like Lubriplate - will gum up over time. Some of the
newer exotic formulations may work better, but I've never had problems with
Lubriplate - and I've probably worked on more Seeburg mechs than most
folks out there.

You'll definitely want to lubricate all gears, all cams and rollers, and any
sliding surface with something like Lubriplate. If you're doing a first-class
restoration you'll want to disassemble any parts with rotating shafts to clean
the old gunk off. Some examples are the shaft the clutch lifting arms pivot
on, the main drive shaft from the top of the clutch - especially where the
worm gear that drives the mech rests, the record lift arm pivot and its
corresponding rocker arm.

Also pull the tonearm assembly from the mech and thoroughly clean all shafts,
pivot points, and slidiing assemblies.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

Old February 4th 04, 04:04 AM
Bob E.

Mark Robinson wrote:

Hi All,

I'm am in process of restoring a Seeburg R and have degreased the

mech. I want to re-lubricate it and have some questions.

1. Is there a better sub out there for Lubriplate? From my
experience, this stuff tends to dry out.

I like Lubriplate. I think the only time I have seen it when I would
call it "dried out" it was time for a major rebuild/refurb anyway. I
will continue to use Lubriplate as long as I can find it (which hasn't
been easy lately. I have a bottle of Seeburg oil left (it is now
unavailable, I guess), but you can also use Zoom-spout oil or 3-in-One
motor oil (not the general purpose stuff).

2. After degreasing, do you recommend spraying the entire mech down
with some sort of light lubricant (e.g. Silicone or WD40) to prevent
rust? If so, what would you use?

NO! Unless you live in a very humid environment and keep your juke
out on the porch (and turned off), you shouldn't have to use any
drastic measures like that. If you're really paranoid about it,
wipe down the mech with a rag lightly oiled with 20 wt.

3. The lube chart in the manual is pretty detailed, but I suspect
that since all grease and oil has been removed, I should hit more
points than listed. For example, the rack and pinion or casting base
is not shown as needing lubrication, but I suspect some sort of
grease or oil would be good thing. Any suggestions?

Once you have taken the mech apart and cleaned it up, you will probably
have a gut feel for the areas in need of initial lubrication. I think
I put a small dab of Lubriplate on the rack gear teeth when I did my AY.
I think the lube chart is probably pretty comprehensive, though. The
theory is probably a lot like older British cars...the oil put in up
at the top will find its way down to the areas in need down below!

--Bob

Bob Ellingson
Halted Specialties Co., Inc.
http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)
Old February 4th 04, 05:50 AM
george craig

Mark, I like those teflon based spray lubes ; ''Tri-flo'' or ''Slick 50''
that are real slipery and have that long plastic nozzle extension that can
get into those hard to reach places. Lubriplate as I recall, is a calcium
based lube that is waterproof...George

Old February 4th 04, 02:23 PM
Mark Robinson

Hi All,

Thanks everybody for all of the great suggestions. That will really help me.

Regards,

Mark