eBay Rant

Old April 13th 04, 12:35 AM
Nohope587

Default eBay Rant

What to do...
I sold a set of Kennedy's on eBay a few weeks ago. It took the winner a
couple of weeks to pay up. Not unreasonable as he did send an e-mail saying
there would be a delay.
The Money order arrived last Monday so I sent the coins off . Saturday I get
the coins back with a note on a torn scrap of paper saying
"I would like a refund for my Purchase Than you"

No explanation or reason why. And no reply to my e-mails.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MESSO:IT

Here is a link to the auction. Item number 3903376738 I say I will issue a
refund if not happy but it would be nice to know the reason. Besides which I
gave him free shipping and insurance because I sold the set for more than I
was expecting.
Does anyone know if I can recover my eBay fees?

Bad thoughts are going through my mind like did he buy the set to swap out
some coins for his collection. I did not pay much attention to the set as
Half dollars are not really my thing and I got the set in an estate sale
along with some very nice Nickels.

Thanks for letting me Rant...

--
Richard

eBay: Nohope587
WINS#366

www.mycoins.us

Old April 13th 04, 12:44 AM
Bob Flaminio

Nohope587 wrote:
No explanation or reason why. And no reply to my e-mails.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MESSO:IT

Here is a link to the auction. Item number 3903376738 I say I will
issue a refund if not happy but it would be nice to know the reason.

Nice, but not necessary. Your own terms state "If for any reason".

Besides which I gave him free shipping and insurance because I sold
the set for more than I was expecting.
Does anyone know if I can recover my eBay fees?

Sure. Go through the NPB/FVF procedure, but choose the option that says
something like "buyer and seller mutually agreed to cancel transaction"
or words to that effect. You get your final value fees back (but not
your listing fees); he doesn't get any black marks on his account.

Link: http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?CreditRequest

Bad thoughts are going through my mind like did he buy the set to
swap out some coins for his collection.

Don't think bad thoughts. "Remember this is supposed to be fun."

--
Bob

Old April 13th 04, 12:50 AM
Nohope587

Thanks Bob

Especially for the link.
And yes eBay normally is fun for me and one mishap in over 200 transactions
is not a bad average. I have refunded the payment and included a stamped
self address envelope asking for a reason. There may be a very good reason
for the return such as a problem with the coins. If so I would like to
mention it if I re-list the item.

Richard

Old April 13th 04, 01:26 AM
K6AZ

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:44:42 -0700, "Bob Flaminio" wrote:

Sure. Go through the NPB/FVF procedure, but choose the option that says
something like "buyer and seller mutually agreed to cancel transaction"
or words to that effect. You get your final value fees back (but not
your listing fees); he doesn't get any black marks on his account.

Link: http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?CreditRequest

Actually, there is a specific reason to choose, buyer returned item.
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm
Old April 13th 04, 01:31 AM
Bill Krummel

"Nohope587" wrote in message
[...]

I have had 3 returns on eBay auctions over the last 4 or 5 years and one
return on the old Collector's Universe auctions, and that was on a deal made
after the auction was over, with a non-bidder. Of the four returns, I got a
reason from the CU post-auction ( and I understood) and on one of the eBay
deals ( the winner claimed the MS quarter was AU, because he defined die
polish marks as hairlines from a cleaning). In the other two eBay returns,
I offered to reimburse all sh&i if the unsatisfied winner would help me
provide a better auction description by providing the reason for the return.
Neither offer was accepted and I reimbursed the purchase price only. Like
you, I want a reason, but do not demand one. I want a reason only to see
where I erred in describing the coin, if I did error.

Bob has already pointed you in the direction for getting your fvfs credited.

I have never sold an album of coins before. I have sold rolls of bu coins
and I state no returns for those type of items, and bullion coins
(krugerands and 90% silver). I have always thought that some buyer could
cherrypick a BU roll, replacing with marginal coins, then ask for a return.
Bullion is a no return item because of the fluctuating price of silver &
gold. Were I to sell an album of coins, after reading of your experience, I
guess I would still offer a return privilege, but I would take several
pictures to help me avoid having the album cherrypicked. You should be able
to look over the Kennedys quickly and see if anything looks too unusual.
Quickly check and see if the dates are correct for the holes (1970-D, 1964,
etc).

Otherwise, get on with business as usual. If you sell enough, I am fairly
sure you will have other instances when a product is returned without
explanation. Bill

Old April 13th 04, 01:33 AM
Bob Flaminio

K6AZ wrote:
Sure. Go through the NPB/FVF procedure, but choose the option that
says something like "buyer and seller mutually agreed to cancel
transaction" or words to that effect. You get your final value fees
back (but not your listing fees); he doesn't get any black marks on
his account.

Link: http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?CreditRequest

Actually, there is a specific reason to choose, buyer returned item.

Even better -- do what Eric said. I presume that also does not put any
marks on the buyer's account.

Oh, and it should also be said: positive feedback for the buyer. He did
everything right, and deserves it. You may want to wait until he leaves
you feedback first, but that's a whole 'nother can o' worms.

--
Bob

Old April 13th 04, 01:51 AM
K6AZ

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:33:45 -0700, "Bob Flaminio" wrote:

Even better -- do what Eric said. I presume that also does not put any
marks on the buyer's account.

You presume right. The only FVF request that will cause a bidder to
get a warning is not paying.

Old April 13th 04, 03:06 AM
Wheeler

Bill Krummel wrote:

SNIP
Bullion is a no return item because of the fluctuating price of silver &
gold. Were I to sell an album of coins, after reading of your experience, I
guess I would still offer a return privilege, but I would take several
pictures to help me avoid having the album cherrypicked.
Bill

Bill.....
You could always carve your name in each coin to make sure that you
got the right ones back if they did return them :-)
Wheeler (hoping he sees the little smile face)
Old April 13th 04, 05:23 AM
Yousri Ahmad

Carving the full name on the coin reduces the value of the coin.
I used only my initials. LOL

--
Yousri Ahmad
ANA # R-210745