Standing Quarter

Old July 2nd 03, 11:48 PM
Doggo

Default Standing Quarter

My wife went to the Co-op last night to get some groceries, and she got a
SLQ in her change. Why the cashier didn't notice it was different from the
rest, I don't know. The only thing I can figure is, she probably thought it
was a Canadian quarter.

Unfortunately the date is gone, so I have no idea what year it was minted.
Still all in all cool find :-) I'll put it in my new type album I just got
from Larry (next project, type set)
--
Ed
'Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis.'

Old July 3rd 03, 12:20 AM
Lyntoy1

Isn't the SLQ identifiable by the length of the skirt line? 1916 only (if I am
not on Quaaludes) Mike
Old July 3rd 03, 12:39 AM
Doggo

"Lyntoy1" wrote in message
Isn't the SLQ identifiable by the length of the skirt line? 1916 only (if

I am
not on Quaaludes) Mike

according to the Red Book, in 1917 the breast was covered and the reverse
had a new arrangement of stars and the eagle moved higher. I know the coin
is between 1916 and 1924, because in 1925 a depression was made in the
pedestal for the date. The one I have looks good except the date is totally
gone.

Old July 3rd 03, 02:58 AM
Joe Fischer

:
: Unfortunately the date is gone, so I have no idea what year it was minted.
: Still all in all cool find :-) I'll put it in my new type album I just got
: from Larry (next project, type set)

Didn't you notice, it is a 1916!

Joe Fischer

--
3
Old July 3rd 03, 12:57 PM
Doggo

"Joe Fischer" wrote in message
Doggo wrote:
: My wife went to the Co-op last night to get some groceries, and she got

: SLQ in her change. Why the cashier didn't notice it was different from

the
: rest, I don't know. The only thing I can figure is, she probably

thought it
: was a Canadian quarter.
:
: Unfortunately the date is gone, so I have no idea what year it was

minted.
: Still all in all cool find :-) I'll put it in my new type album I just

got
: from Larry (next project, type set)

Didn't you notice, it is a 1916!

Joe Fischer

--
3

Oh, yes I see that now. The breast is bare, in fact so is the rest of her
body ;-)

Ed
'ya can't prove it isn't a 1916'

Old July 3rd 03, 01:05 PM
Ira Stein

Ed writes:

: from Larry (next project, type set)

Didn't you notice, it is a 1916!

Joe Fischer

--
3

Oh, yes I see that now. The breast is bare, in fact so is the rest of her
body ;-)

Ed
'ya can't prove it isn't a 1916'

Actually you can. The 1916, along with the 1917 Type 1, has no stars under the
eagle on rev. If there are stars, and I'll bet there are, it ain't a 1916.

Ira Stein
Old July 3rd 03, 01:37 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:49:08 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams
is alleged to have written:

Doggo wrote:

My wife went to the Co-op last night to get some groceries, and she got a
SLQ in her change. Why the cashier didn't notice it was different from the
rest, I don't know. The only thing I can figure is, she probably thought it
was a Canadian quarter.

Unfortunately the date is gone, so I have no idea what year it was minted.
Still all in all cool find :-) I'll put it in my new type album I just got
from Larry (next project, type set)
--

Congratulations!

That is one coin I have never gotten in change. (I'm 45.)

I've been given silver Roosevelt dimes and Mercs. I've been handed wheat
cents and Buffalo nickels, silver Washingtons and Kennedys. But never
in my life has a cashier or card dealer handed me an SLQ.

Has anyone else in the ng ever obtained an SLQ in commerce? Either in
change or in a roll?

Alan
'Canadian Quarters have horny mammals'

Once, as a child in the 1960's. Don't recall the exact year. It was a heavily
worn 1918 S that I convinced myself was the overdate. It's still in a 2x2 with
1918/7-S written on it in third grade handwriting.

Bruce (My first case of "owners eyes")

Old July 3rd 03, 02:15 PM
Doggo

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message
s.com...
Doggo wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Alan.

When my wife gave it to me my heart started to beat fast, then I saw no
date. Still it blew me away that it could be in circulation.

Old July 3rd 03, 02:15 PM
Bruce Remick

Alan & Erin Williams wrote:
=

Doggo wrote:

[...]

I saw them frequently when I started collecting in the early 1950's,
along with the occasional Barbers and Indian cents. Unfortunately, I
was focused on Lincolns at the time and didn't consider the others worth
saving since they appeared often. Plus, my 25=A2 allowance didn't permit=

me to save anything other than pennies.

Bruce