question for Joe Mechanic, DB....

Old August 15th 06, 12:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Default question for Joe Mechanic, DB....

Since you worked on so many Pontiacs, tell me- how many oil galley
plugs are in a Pontiac, and where are they located, and how do they
install in the block ?

How many cam bearings are there ?

How are the rockers adjusted ?

Old August 15th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
bicycle

Dwight D. Eisenhower wrote:
Since you worked on so many Pontiacs, tell me- how many oil galley
plugs are in a Pontiac, and where are they located, and how do they
install in the block ?

How many cam bearings are there ?

How are the rockers adjusted ?

Since you claim you live in such a nice house, why did you hide the
pictures of it? Why no pic of the ****bird? Why are you asking question
when you won't answer them?

Old August 15th 06, 04:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 15 Aug 2006 04:50:31 -0700, "Dwight D. Eisenhower"
wrote:

Since you worked on so many Pontiacs, tell me- how many oil galley
plugs are in a Pontiac, and where are they located, and how do they
install in the block ? snip

It's been what...25 year since I've messed with ANY Pontaic V8? I do
remember two steel ones behind the "big" gear that would blow out with
the greatest of ease if not installed properly, especially with a high
volume Melling oil pump. My solution: tap the bored and install
plugs instead. Any others...I cannot remember, nor do I care.

How many cam bearings are there ? snip

Five. What V8 engine has more...or less? Idiot.

How are the rockers adjusted ? snip

Stud/fulcrum arrangement (with those ****TY pressed studs) with a
"grpper" adjustment nut. Same basic adjustment as the small block
****rolet...which wasn't too good, either. Back off until there's
lash, then down a full turn on the nut. Actually, I would only give
them ¾ turn to prevent "pump-up" with cold oil.

The Pontiac V8 was a good engine, far better than the crappy Chevy
small block, but the "new Rocket" Olds was much, much better...and
more long lived. Another bitch about stock Pontiac...those ****ty
post-'64 PLASTIC timing gears, which later infected the entire
industry. GUARANTEED to fail.

These are high school kid questions, Noodles.
Old August 15th 06, 08:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Sunoco premium 93 octane-KING OF THE ROAD

wrote:

Since you worked on so many Pontiacs, tell me- how many oil galley
plugs are in a Pontiac, and where are they located, and how do they
install in the block ? snip

It's been what...25 year since I've messed with ANY Pontaic V8? I do
remember two steel ones behind the "big" gear that would blow out with
the greatest of ease if not installed properly, especially with a high
volume Melling oil pump. My solution: tap the bored and install
plugs instead. Any others...I cannot remember, nor do I care.

TRANSLATION- YOU NEVER HAD A PONTIAC ENGINE COMPLETELY APART, YOU DON'T
KNOW WHERE THE OTHER OIL GALLEY PLUGS ARE- AND THE OTHER 3 ARE ALREADY
THREADED

How are the rockers adjusted ? snip

Stud/fulcrum arrangement (with those ****TY pressed studs) with a
"grpper" adjustment nut. Same basic adjustment as the small block
****rolet...which wasn't too good, either. Back off until there's
lash, then down a full turn on the nut. Actually, I would only give
them ¾ turn to prevent "pump-up" with cold oil.

WRONG- ALL HIGH PERFORMANCE BIG-VALVE PONTIAC HEADS HAD SCREW IN STUDS-
NO PRESSED IN- YOU OBVIOUSLY ONLY WORKED ON THEIR RUN OF THE MILL
2-BARREL ENGINES-
AH-HA !

The Pontiac V8 was a good engine, far better than the crappy Chevy
small block, but the "new Rocket" Olds was much, much better...and
more long lived. Another bitch about stock Pontiac...those ****ty
post-'64 PLASTIC timing gears, which later infected the entire
industry. GUARANTEED to fail.

WRONG- THE OLDS HAD OILING PROBLEMS, AND INFERIOR HEADS- AND DIDN'T
HAVE STUDS FOR ROCKERS AT ALL ! BUT I'D TAKE AN OLDS OVER A HONDA ANY
DAY. SO WHY DO YOU DRIVE A HONDA ??

Old August 15th 06, 10:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 15 Aug 2006 12:15:09 -0700, "Sunoco premium 93 octane-KING OF THE
ROAD" wrote:

TRANSLATION- YOU NEVER HAD A PONTIAC ENGINE COMPLETELY APART, YOU DON'T
KNOW WHERE THE OTHER OIL GALLEY PLUGS ARE- AND THE OTHER 3 ARE ALREADY
THREADED snip

I just remember the pressed steel ones behind the big timing gear that
would blow out. I don't remember where the other three threaded plugs
were, nor do I care at this juncture.

How are the rockers adjusted ? snip

Stud/fulcrum arrangement (with those ****TY pressed studs) with a
"grpper" adjustment nut. Same basic adjustment as the small block
****rolet...which wasn't too good, either. Back off until there's
lash, then down a full turn on the nut. Actually, I would only give
them ¾ turn to prevent "pump-up" with cold oil.

WRONG- ALL HIGH PERFORMANCE BIG-VALVE PONTIAC HEADS HAD SCREW IN STUDS-
NO PRESSED IN- YOU OBVIOUSLY ONLY WORKED ON THEIR RUN OF THE MILL
2-BARREL ENGINES-
AH-HA ! snip

Screw-ins were only on the RARE HO versions. Almost all Pontiac V8s
had PRESSED studs.

The Pontiac V8 was a good engine, far better than the crappy Chevy
small block, but the "new Rocket" Olds was much, much better...and
more long lived. Another bitch about stock Pontiac...those ****ty
post-'64 PLASTIC timing gears, which later infected the entire
industry. GUARANTEED to fail.

WRONG- THE OLDS HAD OILING PROBLEMS, AND INFERIOR HEADS- AND DIDN'T
HAVE STUDS FOR ROCKERS AT ALL ! BUT I'D TAKE AN OLDS OVER A HONDA ANY
DAY. SO WHY DO YOU DRIVE A HONDA ?? snip

31 MPG city...with the AC on.

Noodles, your ignorance is showing...again. All "new" Rockets had
stamped rockers using pedestals and studs. Last Olds engine with rail
rockers was the '64 394 and the aluminum Buick 215 that got sold to
Land Rover. WRONG AGAIN, BITCH BOY!

Also, tell any W33 owner about "inferior heads"...as he wipes your ass
all over the pavement.
Old August 16th 06, 12:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
455 Pontiac on premium Sunoco-chariot of the gods

ROAD" wrote:

[...]

W33's are nothing- we flowed Olds heads on a flow bench, they flow
about 100 cfm less than my heads.

You're wrong about the pressed in studs too- ALL Pontiac 4-barrel heads
from 1967 to 1979 had screw in studs. They were quite common. ANY
run of the mill Pontiac from 1975 to 1979 had screw in studs as well.
Not just "HO"- and the early 1967-70 HO engines were standard equipment
on all Firebird, GTO, and Grand Prix. Not rare at all, considering the
hundreds of thousands of cars they sold of those makes.

I have 5 pairs of those heads in my basement- with screw in studs- and
Ebay is loaded with them. Any local junkyard has more screw-in studded
heads than you can count. Stud breakage was never a problem on a
Pontiac anyway. The early 421 Super Dutys had pressed in studs- and
they were rated at 410 HP in 1962-63

I don't mind educating you on this at all- because the more you learn
about American made cars, the more you'll realize they are better.
Your driving a Honda because of gas mileage alone. In all other
respects, your Honda is inferior.

And if you had an old Poncho, you'd have a ball with it. I'm starting
to get the impression that when you went to UCLA, those liberal
professors friggin' brainwashed you- into thinking anything made in USA
or anything patriotic is bad.

Don't believe them.

Old August 16th 06, 12:14 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

ROAD" wrote:

[...]

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co..._racing_heads/

With the discovery of issue #4 of the 1973 Craftsman Service News set,
all theories were validated with a simple, one-paragraph statement on
page 54 entitled, "Threaded Rocker Arm Studs". The paragraph clearly
states that all Pontiac V-8 engines would receive threaded rocker arm
studs beginning with engine #709986 which was assembled on or about May
7, 1973 and would carry throughout the remainder of 1973 engine
production and on to 1974. What has been proven as an attempt to save
material costs and a step in the machining process as well as to
eliminate the need to stock a specific yet redundant part, Pontiac
engineering streamlined production by discontinuing the pressed-in stud
installation process and machined all heads for threaded studs.

Drilled and tapped rocker stud bosses appeared on all engines beginning
with Motor Unit Number 709986 assembled on or about May 7, 1973. Note
the individual stud bosses, which first appeared on the ' 74 heads and
continued on through with 6Xs.

Old August 16th 06, 12:38 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
455 Pontiac on premium Sunoco-chariot of the gods

http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast/re...momuscle12.htm

you think a 455 RA V can't make 500 HP- the smaller cube 421 SD was
making 410 HP back in 1963

you need a history lesson from someone other than a liberal college
professor- they are leaving out half of the story- and the other half
they ARE telling you, is lies and political misconceptions.

what made the American V-8 less attractive, was fuel prices- plain and
simple. It's still the best designed car ever made for power,
performance and reliability.

don't get down on people just 'cuz they choose to spend THEIR money on
one.

you wish you could, too- otherwise why the Harley shirt in your pic ?

you're a closet conservative.

Old August 16th 06, 01:56 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 15 Aug 2006 16:10:57 -0700, "455 Pontiac on premium Sunoco-chariot
of the gods" wrote:

You're wrong about the pressed in studs too- ALL Pontiac 4-barrel heads
from 1967 to 1979 had screw in studs. They were quite common. ANY
run of the mill Pontiac from 1975 to 1979 had screw in studs as well. snip

Well, shazam. By 1975, I'd never touch a Potty-tank again, and all my
experience was with the "good" Pontiacs prior to '65. I had a 421,
and it had pressed studs, although they never pulled out.

I don't mind educating you on this at all- snip

You couldn't educate a mealybug on anything.

Your driving a Honda because of gas mileage alone. In all other
respects, your Honda is inferior. snip

Let's see...it's lasted almost 30 years now. How many 1970s GM cars
have lasted that long? Answer: VERY FEW.

And if you had an old Poncho, you'd have a ball with it.snip

Obsolete fodder for the crusher, if anything after 1964, AFIAC.

I'm starting to get the impression that when you went to UCLA, those liberal
professors friggin' brainwashed you- into thinking anything made in USA
or anything patriotic is bad. snip

What a moron! Typical "proud to be stupid" right wing justification
for their own stupidity.

I see where "****us In The Family"'s Hitleristic learder, James
Dobson, is going to try to steal the election this time out. Ain't
gonn work...all the church nutters are already registered, and, as has
been proven in '04, they've already hit the polls at their maximal
strength, and are losing clout. Dobson will suffer the same fate as
Raphie Reed, you watch. All those delusional church 'tards do,
eventually.
Old August 16th 06, 01:58 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 15 Aug 2006 16:14:34 -0700, "455 Pontiac on premium Sunoco-chariot
of the gods" wrote:

With the discovery of issue #4 of the 1973 Craftsman Service News set,
all theories were validated with a simple, one-paragraph statement on
page 54 entitled, "Threaded Rocker Arm Studs". The paragraph clearly
states that all Pontiac V-8 engines would receive threaded rocker arm
studs beginning with engine #709986 which was assembled on or about May
7, 1973 and would carry throughout the remainder of 1973 engine
production and on to 1974. What has been proven as an attempt to save
material costs and a step in the machining process as well as to
eliminate the need to stock a specific yet redundant part, Pontiac
engineering streamlined production by discontinuing the pressed-in stud
installation process and machined all heads for threaded studs. snip

Reason: PRESSED STUDS FAIL.