Ultrasonic experiment #1

Old July 8th 03, 02:02 AM
Bill Krummel

Default Ultrasonic experiment #1

A couple of weeks ago, I believe it was Harv who was asking about a scratch
removing product for plastic, specifically one to use on slabs. This link
was provided in response;

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/dir/index.html

I have been wanting a product for improving the occasional slab, so I made a
purchase of;

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/82462.html

But, while I was at the site, I also purchased this;

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/82413.html

and the recommended cleaning solution, here;

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/81871.html

Well, I received the products promptly. However, it was not until
yesterday, a week after receipt, that I had some time to open the shipping
box and play around a little. The instructions for the Ultrasonic Cleaner
say nothing about cleaning solutions, at least in my first reading, but says
to fill container 70%-80% with water. Not much else in the way of
instruction, just turn the machine on.

Well, I had been soaking a 1907 IHC for several months in olive oil, along
with mucho other copper. So I pulled it out of the oil and it looked as
though the gunk that I thought should lift off was still there. I washed
the oil off and placed the IH in the Ultrasonic Cleaner and started it up.
The machine turns itself off after 5 minutes (according to the instruction
booklet, I think it was actually only about 3 minutes). I patted the cent
dry and took it over to sunlight and had a look. No difference that I could
tell. I tried a 1868 or 1869 IHC with EF detail but with gunk. No
improvement. Then I realized that I was not following my intended
procedures, since all along I had intended some before and after pictures.
So, two things. First, I read the bottle label on the cleaning solution. I
probably did not read closely enough. I remember reading no akalynes, no
this, no that, blah, blah, and I thought the stuff really could not hurt a
coin. I found a silver peice from Germany 1930s, took a before picture,
replaced the water with the cleaning solution, and dropped the silver coin
in. Then, stupidly, I dropped the two IHCs in along with the silver.
Soundwaves and an inert cleaning solution, right? Well, maybe not. I will
have to read the label more carefully before I use it again. The silver
looked different, a look I could have gotten using a silver polish rag and
some elbow movement. Before and after;

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills...asonicexp1.JPG

The two IHCs didn't look a lot different, but the color did look a little,
not much, but a little different. I rinsed those coins off, patted dry, and
dropped back into the olive oil. I will have a closer look at them sometime
later.

So much for experiment no. 1. Not very scientifically done, in fact, were I
in a lab I would probably blow it up. I need to read the label more
carefully on the cleaning solution bottle. If it is nothing more than an
acidic dip, forget it. I will try more coins as time allows, trying
different times, solutions, coins, etc. So far, nothing good. Bill

Old July 8th 03, 03:10 AM
Steve Grant

"Edwin Johnston" wrote in message

"Bill Krummel" wrote in message
snip
Not very scientifically done, in fact, were I
in a lab I would probably blow it up.

snip

Never try to dry off your poodle in the microwave oven. A friend of my
sister's did it and it cooked the durned dog from the inside out!

Is this the same sister's friend who had her convertible filled with cement
by a vengeful ex-boyfriend?

Or have I got her confused with the one who sold the Mrs. Fields cookie
recipe?

Old July 8th 03, 04:12 AM
DFloyd

"Bill Krummel" wrote in
:

Soundwaves and an inert cleaning solution, right? Well, maybe not. I
will have to read the label more carefully before I use it again. The
silver looked different, a look I could have gotten using a silver
polish rag and some elbow movement. Before and after;

http://showcase.netins.net/web/bills...asonicexp1.JPG

I don't think 5 min would be long enough for a gunked coin.
A different source I looked at mentioned ammonia as a good cleaning agent
in an ultrasonic. But that was for gun parts.
Old July 8th 03, 05:09 PM
J. A. McNerney

Bill Krummel wrote:

[...]

Look here

http://www.alconox.com/Index.asp

for a better cleaning agent.

JAM
Old July 8th 03, 05:16 PM
so ne

Randy wrote:
snipDoes anyone know the best way to secure coins so they won't come
loose under a 2500 psi stream without damaging the rim?
Crazy clue, then you can use acetone to release it!!! :-))))
Doris
might work

Calling all Australians!!!!
Please read. ta
http://home.iprimus.com.au/wpbalcombe/

Old July 9th 03, 02:01 AM
WinWinscenario

So much for experiment no. 1.

Very interesting.

I should think that the solution does most of the work--the sonic waves just
stimulate the cleansing action in the same way that an agitator works in a
washing machine, but with no actual contact on the surface of the coin. It may
be that you need a solution that is specifically designed to remove the kind of
gunk on the coins.

Last week I dropped 2 corroded old IHCs in some "MS-70" solution, just to see
what would happen. Nothing happened right away, so I forgot about them.

This week I fished them out--they were mint red! The MS-70 did a magnificent
job of completely removing the gunk.

Unfortunately, the overall effect is very artificial, because the coins are
AG-G, and the surfaces now have a mint-red finish!

Regards,
Tom