Test Thumbnail

Old October 29th 04, 05:08 PM
DovR

What is wrong with posting links to the pix ?
I thinnk that is what Lim was trying to do but had the wrong html.

We are dealing with pens the innards and what they look like. Yes, it is
necessary to se as well as describe, thus the pen pic link. No-one but
no-one goes to the binary grp.

BTW can someone explain to me how I de-encode yenc posted pix usaing
outlook express or should I dump and gfo to X-News ?

Old October 29th 04, 06:27 PM
David

On 2004-10-29 09:08:42 -0700, "DovR" tadir@removeNOSPAM actcom.co.il said:

What is wrong with posting links to the pix ?
I thinnk that is what Lim was trying to do but had the wrong html.

No - he was trying to post a small picture, and pretending that because
it was small it was OK. A link is the way to go. "See picture here".
Simple.

We are dealing with pens the innards and what they look like. Yes, it is
necessary to se as well as describe, thus the pen pic link. No-one but
no-one goes to the binary grp.

They would, if you said "I just put a picture of my pen in the binary group."

BTW can someone explain to me how I de-encode yenc posted pix usaing
outlook express or should I dump and gfo to X-News ?

There are extra programs that you can install to translate the yenc for
Outlook Express, but if you read a lot of news that has yenc pics in
it, you might as well just change. Few newsreaders are as clumsy as OE,
apparently. (I'm not on Windows, so sorry I can't be more help.)

David

Old October 29th 04, 07:31 PM
Bluesea

"Free Citizen" wrote in message

Well, thank you for reminding about netiquette in a newsgroup but a
thumbnail will not take more bandwidth than this post will. Moreover, it
reports the size of the original image so readers can decide if they want

open it or not. I see little harm in it.

It's not only about bandwidth or netiquette, images or not. Text-only is the
easiest way to avoid viruses, trojans, web bugs, and such.

You're welcome :P.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old October 29th 04, 07:39 PM
Bluesea

Inline.

"DovR" tadir@removeNOSPAM actcom.co.il wrote in message
What is wrong with posting links to the pix ?
I thinnk that is what Lim was trying to do but had the wrong html.

No, he was trying to post a pic but acting as though a thumbnail isn't an
image.

We are dealing with pens the innards and what they look like. Yes, it is
necessary to se as well as describe, thus the pen pic link. No-one but
no-one goes to the binary grp.

I've never seen anyone tell/ask us to go there.

BTW can someone explain to me how I de-encode yenc posted pix usaing
outlook express...

Sorry, "not I," said the fly.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old October 30th 04, 09:31 AM
Free Citizen

"Bluesea" wrote in message

[snip]

It's not only about bandwidth or netiquette, images or not. Text-only is
the
easiest way to avoid viruses, trojans, web bugs, and such.

You're welcome :P.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Thanks Bluesea,

But why is retrieving an image through a web browser different from that of
an Email program?

--
Best regards,
T-H Lim

Old October 30th 04, 09:37 AM
Free Citizen

"David" wrote in message

[snip]

No - he was trying to post a small picture, and pretending that because it
was small it was OK.

[snip]

David

Hear, hear. There is a difference between "pretending" and "maintaining".
Choose your words wisely unless you intend to offend

Old October 30th 04, 09:45 AM
Free Citizen

"Bluesea" wrote in message

[snip]

No, he was trying to post a pic but acting as though a thumbnail isn't an
image.

[snip]

--
~~Bluesea~~

Wrong. I never acted as though a thumbnail isn't an image. I merely
suggested a thumbnail will not bog down the bandwidth. Its advantage is that
you have a small preview of what the image is like and also tells you the
size of the actual image. I goes a long way to help readers decide if they
want to see in full detail or not. Something not possible with just a link.
Anyway, I don't see what the fuss is all about now. It didn't work. Even if
it did and the majority here don't like it, they can POLITELY say, please
don't do that. And I would gladly oblige.

Old October 30th 04, 07:31 PM
Tim McNamara

"Free Citizen" writes:

"Bluesea" wrote in message

[snip]

It's not only about bandwidth or netiquette, images or
not. Text-only is the easiest way to avoid viruses, trojans, web
bugs, and such.

But why is retrieving an image through a web browser different from
that of an Email program?

You seem to be overcomplicating this for some reason. Let's start
with a few basics. First, Usenet newsgroups are different from Web
sites and from e-mail. They are an animal unto themselves, with their
own unique technical standards and user conventions. One of those
conventions is that Usenet is text-only (and that means ASCII text,
not HTML "text") except for newsgroups designated as binary groups;
this is identified by the words "binary" or "binaries" in the name.
If you want to show people a picture in a text-only newsgroup, the
convention is to host the picture on a Web site and post an URL to it.

There are proper tools for every job, and Usent is no exception. The
proper tool for reading newsgroups is a newsreader, not an e-mail
program or a Web browser. The former usually lacks the tools to
efficiently read and manage newsgroups, and the latter tends to have a
half-assed interface and is often dreadfully slow. There are many
newsreaders available for every platform, many excellent ones are
free- perhaps the best starting place is http://www.newsreaders.com.
Old October 30th 04, 09:30 PM
Bluesea

"Free Citizen" wrote in message

"Bluesea" wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

From your 3rd post this thread on 10/26:

"Sorry Q. Horseman,

I wasn't trying to post an image. Just a thumbnail."

And, you were politely asked (see David's reply on 10/26). Today is 10/30.
If you'd gladly oblige, why has this thread continued for this long if not
for your arguing?

Enough already! You won't win because a.c.p-p. is a text-only group. Period.

You've been informed as to which end is up. Bite the bullet.

--
~~Bluesea~~

The flatiron test DeserTBoB 8 Track Tapes 9 January 16th 05 05:50 PM
test post - ignore BaggySac Juke Boxes 2 November 12th 04 12:39 AM
test Rich Wolfin Juke Boxes 0 October 4th 04 03:30 PM
test BriMc Juke Boxes 0 August 15th 04 04:49 PM
test Jeffrey Jocis Autographs 0 June 6th 04 12:52 PM