Hong Kong cancel (Blair)

Old November 25th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael

Default Hong Kong cancel (Blair)

Blair, could you enlighten me about IS cancel on a Hong Kong stamp?

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old November 26th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default (RCSD) Hong Kong cancel (Blair)

On Nov 25, 4:14 pm, Ralphael wrote:
Blair, could you enlighten me about IS cancel on a Hong Kong stamp?

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one

Ralph:

I am sorry, but I do not understand the question.

Could you please post a scan or a detailed
description of the stamp / cancel in question?

Thanks
Blair
Old November 26th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Nov 25, 11:25 pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Nov 25, 4:14 pm, Ralphael wrote:

Blair, could you enlighten me about IS cancel on a Hong Kong stamp?

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one

Ralph:

I am sorry, but I do not understand the question.

Could you please post a scan or a detailed
description of the stamp / cancel in question?

Thanks
Blair

After some late night research, I have determinrd that there
is no Hong King "IS" cancel. I think that your stamp is
upside down.

There was a "S1" (S one) cancel, however, used in Shanghai.
The treaty ports used Hong Kong stamps.

This is a Treaty Port killer cancellation for Shanghai.

The Treaty Port Offices were first issued their own
cancellers, barred oval 'killers", in 1866.

Prior to this (1866) all of their outgoing mail had been
cancelled 'B62' in Hong Kong and this practice
continued for most of the mail.

Only the "loose letters", received after the mail
bags had been closed, were canceled with the
local 'killers'.

With the later introduction of CDS type cancellers,
all mail was canceled locally.

TREATY PORT YEAR P.O. OPENED 'KILLER' NUMERAL CANCELLATION

* * * * * C H I N A * * * * *

AMOY 1844
"A1" (1866-85), "D27" (1876-85)
CANTON 1844
"C1" (1866-85)
CHEFOO 186? CDS
cancels only
FOOCHOW 1844 "F1" (1866-85)
HANKOW 1872
"D29" (1879-85)
KIUNGCHOW (HOIHOW) 1873 "D28" (1876-85)
NINGPO 1844
"N1" (1866-85)
SHANGHAI 1844
"S1" (1866-85)
SWATOW 1861
"S2" (1866-85)
TIENTSIN 1882 CDS
cancels only.
WEI-HAI-WEI (COLONY) 1899 CDS cancels only.

* * * * * J A P A N * * * * *

KOBE 1869
"D30" (1876-79)
NAGASAKI 1860
"N2" (1866-79)
YOKOHAMA 1859
"Y1" (1867-79)

So your stamp was mailed at the British Post Office in Shanghai
between 1866 and 1885.
http://www.geocities.com/treatyport01/shanghaimap.jpg

Here is a stamp with the S1 cancel. I have also made the image
negative to emphasize the cancel.

http://cjoint.com/data/lAgNpsXQVv.htm
http://cjoint.com/data/lAgOIx4pVE.htm

I hope that this helps.

Blair

Further reading:
Webb, F. W. (1961)
The Philatelic and Postal History of Hong Kong
and the Treaty Ports of China and Japan,
The Royal Philatelic Society London
Old November 26th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael

http://cjoint.com/data/lAgNpsXQVv.ht...lAgOIx4pVE.htm

I hope that this helps.

Blair

Further reading:
Webb, F. W. (1961)
The Philatelic and Postal History of Hong Kong
and the Treaty Ports of China and Japan,
The Royal Philatelic Society London- Hide quoted text -

BINGO Blair, How did you get my stamp to scan??? :-)

RtOo