(RCSD) OT - Bank Card Fraud....

Old November 14th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David French

Default (RCSD) OT - Bank Card Fraud....

Hi All,

I have just been 'caught out' and thought a timely reminder to
everyone about Bank Card Fraud could be useful, especially
at this time of year....

I received a message from Amazon about an unauthorised
payment, which I thought was one of those fake warnings that
arrive almost every day. IT WASN'T!

I got a statement tonight, and someone has 'cloned' my Debit
Card, about 5 days ago, and stolen around £600/$1250 from
my account in small amounts - about 12 debits over 4 days.

I had to cancel the card and ask for a new one to be issued.
This could take up to 10 days to arrive.

That means updating all of my online shopping and trade
accounts before I can use them again - just as I am ordering
Xmas presents for the family and friends!

What a great present from someone out there. I hope they
feel sick, as they have spent most of it in Chinese and Indian
restaurants according to the bank!

Sometimes life really sucks, eh??

Keep alert guys....

David / greenarrow.

Old November 15th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"David French"

Keep alert guys....

Ouch! that confirms my decision to stay cash only.

If you appraise your statement, the traders you
visited prior to the fraud would be suspect, to clone
a card, don't you have to swipe it past an under the counter
reader?
When I use my Eftpos card, I always try to maintain possession
and swipe myself.

Old November 15th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Douglas Myall

I would suspect a restaurant. These often try and take your card away
to process it. The danger here is that they can copy it while it is
out of your sight. I have often caused a stir by following the waiter
as he walked away with my card. Maybe your waiter has confederates in
other restaurants?

Douglas

Old November 15th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David French

Thankfully the Bank's Fraud Officer discovered the perfect evidence
when I rang their Helpline last night....

While I was answering his questions and going through my account
with him, another transaction registered on his computer as we spoke!

He also said that the disputed debits followed a 'typical pattern' used
by fraudsters, and there should be no problem getting refunds after I
fill in the forms he is sending me.

Things are looking better now, and the shock reaction has calmed down.

Take care!

David.

Hopefully you can 'prove' to the bank that it wasn't you and that their
'fraud protection' is up to snuff.

FWIW, I had my bank issue a card -=JUST=- for on line use, and I check
(telephone banking) each week.

As far as having 'accounts' with my card listed, I try not to do so. I'd
rather call the merchant or use their 'one time' buyer menu and NOT let them
establish and 'account'!

JA

"David French" found these unused words:

Old November 15th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David French

Hi Douglas,

Yes, it is possible. I don't go out that often, but the fraudster could have
cloned my card some time ago and just laid dormant for a few weeks
before trying his luck!

Judging by the pattern of use there could have been several people using
the card(s), as I doubt that one person could visit 3 oriental restaurants
and eat an average of £180 worth of food for 3 days running!

At least the Bank's Helpline was fast and efficient at dealing with the
situation (8 minutes to answer). I have waited up to an hour on the past!

Regards,

David.