ID questions

Old November 14th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default ID questions

On 13 Nov, 20:12, "Jan Doggen"
wrote:
Hello people
Could you take a quick look athttp://www.jandoggen.org/Stamps/StampIdentify.htmand see if anything is
familiar?

C7: Lundy is in the Bristol Channel, here
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...144767&A=Y&Z=9
(zoom in for a better view). The stamps are used to pay for transport
of mail to the mainland where it enters the GB postal system, for
which normal GB stamps must also be applied.

C10: This is a GB revenue of 1881 required to pay tax on bank drafts
for transferring money overseas. No 113 in the Barefoot GB Revenue
catalogue.

Just a comment on your site: It would help if you scanned the stamps
with higher resolution to make it easier for us to read the markings.

You may find it interesting to look at these two sites which have
loads of mystery stamps: http://www.raster.it/stefano/a/galleries.htm
and http://home.att.net/~RickScott/Unide...d/Unident.html They
haven't been updated for a long time, though.

Chris

Old November 14th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default About gum [was ID questions]

"Pierre Courtiade" wrote in message
http://www.jandoggen.org/Stamps/StampIdentify.htm
on
F5 Thüringen stamps

I wrote :

Please note that stamps Nr Yvert 1 to 8 are with "gomme économisée"
(I imagine this means that the gum is quite scarce)

Rodney wrote :

I remember once reading when gum arabic was scarce
the gum was applied in a hatch formation, similar looking
to your 15c quadrille wmk.
I wonder if that applies to these issues?

Hi Rod,

I remember also having seen this kind of gum apparently applied through
a screen (hatch) ; I forgot on which stamp :-((

In that case the pace was very narrow (may be a 5th of a millimeter)
compared to the pace of the grid watermark in the French Peace and
Commerce stamp (about 5 millimeters - 10 times more)

This is the first time I was reading something on this "gomme
économisée".
I will ask on the French speaking philately news-group if somebody is
aware of it.

Bonjour Pierre.

There was a lot on ebay some months ago which made reference to striped gum
or something like that, but unfortunately I don't remember any of the
details to be able to go back and search.

As far as the French version is concerned, we used to use the expression
"gomme damierée" in the mid 90s referring to checkerboard adhesive
machine-applied to the back of photos to be attached to our departmental
identification cards. However, I have never heard the expression "gomme
économisée".
--
Tony Vella, Ottawa, Canada
http://tv-stamps.shorturl.com

Old November 14th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 14 Nov, 03:22, "Pierre Courtiade" wrote:
wrote :

Just a comment on your site: It would help if you scanned the stamps
with higher resolution to make it easier for us to read the markings.
Chris

Hello Chris,

I had the same opinion than yours ; then I discovered that when clicking
on any stamp, a new window opens with a pretty good resolution.
Have you tried that ?

--
All the best,
Pierre

Ah, yes, you're right. I now see he says that at the top of the page.
Catalogue blindness seems to apply to web pages too!

Chris

Old November 14th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

wrote in message

Ah, yes, you're right. I now see he says that at the top of the page.
Catalogue blindness seems to apply to web pages too!
Chris

I'm confessing, I missed that too

Old November 14th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Nov 13, 2:12 pm, "Jan Doggen"
wrote:
Hello people

It's about time I had a personal website, especially for stamp stuff.
So far only ID questions and a link page.
Could you take a quick look athttp://www.jandoggen.org/Stamps/StampIdentify.htmand see if anything is
familiar? I'm always surprised at the combined knowledge that is present in
this NG ;-)

Feel free to contribute anything to the links page if you like.
My intention is to have this be a resource for others; why else make it
public?

Bye,
and thanks in advance.

Jan

F4 is a Turkish revenue (stamp duty) stamp.

Blair

Old November 14th 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Nov 13, 2:12 pm, "Jan Doggen"
wrote:
Hello people

It's about time I had a personal website, especially for stamp stuff.
So far only ID questions and a link page.
Could you take a quick look athttp://www.jandoggen.org/Stamps/StampIdentify.htmand see if anything is
familiar? I'm always surprised at the combined knowledge that is present in
this NG ;-)

Feel free to contribute anything to the links page if you like.
My intention is to have this be a resource for others; why else make it
public?

Bye,
and thanks in advance.

Jan

C8 is from Germany. East Saxony 1945-6 Russian Occupation
Scott #15N2 if lithographed and Scott #15N16 if typographed.
minimum value 20c mint for both stamps.

Blair

Old November 14th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message Paul Herber wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:56:05 +0100, "Pierre Courtiade"
wrote:

Jan Doggen wrote :

Hello people

It's about time I had a personal website, especially for stamp stuff.
So far only ID questions and a link page.
Could you take a quick look at
http://www.jandoggen.org/Stamps/StampIdentify.htm

C6 is a Swedish documentary revenue stamp, used from 1895 to 1968 whem
a new issue of different design was released. Values went from 5ore to
25000Kr and maybe higher. Wavy line watermark with 3 different
perforations: 11, 12.5 or 13.

C7 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lundy
an island in the Bristol Channel, not the English Channel.

Unless it has moved in recent storms...;-)

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old November 14th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Nov 13, 2:12 pm, "Jan Doggen"
wrote:
Hello people

It's about time I had a personal website, especially for stamp stuff.
So far only ID questions and a link page.
Could you take a quick look athttp://www.jandoggen.org/Stamps/StampIdentify.htmand see if anything is
familiar? I'm always surprised at the combined knowledge that is present in
this NG ;-)

Feel free to contribute anything to the links page if you like.
My intention is to have this be a resource for others; why else make it
public?

Bye,
and thanks in advance.

Jan

C3 COULD be a local stamp from Vostochnaya .

Unfortunately there are at least eight places of that name in Russia.

North East
Vostochnaya city Respublika Kareliya Russia 62.1166667
34.0333333
Vostochnaya city Krasnodarskiy Kray Russia 45.3630556
39.7780556
Vostochnaya city Rostovskaya Oblast' Russia 46.9
41.3333333
Vostochnaya city Kurganskaya Oblast' Russia 55.365
64.1177778
Vostochnaya city Novosibirskaya Oblast' Russia 54.2666667
83.1333333
Vostochnaya city Taymyrskiy (Dolgano-Nenetskiy)
75.5 92.0
Avtonomnyy Okrug Russia
Vostochnaya city Krasnoyarskiy Kray Russia 55.6311111
94.4813889
Vostochnaya city Sakhalinskaya Oblast' Russia 48.2833333
142.6166667

Blair

E-bay questions kathy1945 Coins 27 September 7th 07 09:57 PM
2 questions! Joe Autographs 2 June 3rd 07 03:05 PM
What happens when...(and a few questions also duh!) Lorena R.L Autographs 12 February 5th 06 12:47 AM
Ami R-89 Questions Paul Bell Juke Boxes 1 March 3rd 04 03:19 AM
NSM 240-I questions... ThomasTeeter Juke Boxes 0 October 11th 03 11:26 PM