Paper Currency Graders

Old January 6th 04, 06:55 PM
Shystev99

Default Paper Currency Graders

Hi all,
I know this is more of a coin board but I have some paper currency I am
debating having graded and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions which
grading service to use. I have narrowed it down to 2 grading services and am
curious if anyone here has dealt with them before.
First one is C.G.C. (Currency Grading & Certification)
Second is C.G.A. (Currency Grading & Authentication)

First one has grade/slab fees of $35 per note, I haven't had a chance to e-mail
the second site yet, From what I see I am leaning towards the first one though.

I have about 13 Foreign notes I'd like to have graded but at $35 per note I
think I may have to send them in smaller groups because all 13 at once came out
to $500+ in fees not including shipping.
Any experience with either company or any suggestions not on the list?
Thanks all,
Steve
Old January 6th 04, 10:20 PM
Coin Saver

From: shystev99

I have some paper currency I am debating having graded and was wondering if

anyone had any suggestions. First one has grade/slab fees of $35 per note. I
have about 13 Foreign notes I'd like to have graded but 13 at once came out to
$500+ in fees not including shipping. Any suggestions?

I am a paper-money collector. Currently, "slabbing" paper money has not "caught
on", and until it does, it might be wise to just keep the notes in protective
sleeves.

Here's my line of thought: First, the 'justification' of slabbing coins is
that, if the coin is of notable value, the increase of price to collectors can
be raised to include the cost of slabbing. They are willing to pay it in most
cases. Currently, this is true of certain coins, and this is when slabbing
makes sense. It is not currently true of paper money, though. If you cannot
reclaim the slabbing costs, it does not make sense.

Second, the question most following that explanation is: when will it become
acceptable? The answer is that no one knows; maybe never. Remember that the
ratio of paper money collectors to that of coin collectors is drastically in
favor of the coin collector. With that large of a coin customer-base, you can
get away with selling even a 'bad' idea ( ACG). Not so, with PMCollectors.

Third: if the process of slabbing PM ever does become acceptible, there will be
more choices as others jump onto the bandwagon; and prices will fall. Grading
will also become more precise than it is now, even by the standards of the
graders you mentioned.

Bottom line: If I had a scarce $20 note in CU worth $45 I could get anywhere
from $35 to $50 for it on eBay, but certainly not anywhere near $70. If I can
get $35 for it, unslabbed, then getting $70 for it slabbed would be a wash -
and no one currently will pay that. Slabbed or not.

So, bottom line advice: get the notion of PM slabbing out of your head, at
least for now. At what price would it might be a consideration? Right now,
I'd say about $8 for a PM Note valued at about 200% over face. ($3 for a $1,
$15 for a $5, etc.).

8-l
Coin Saver
Old January 9th 04, 10:02 PM
Aram H. Haroutunian

I'm going to top post this. Don't forget the smell. Very important.
Aram.
=========================
On 06 Jan 2004 21:20:24 GMT, ojunk (Coin Saver)

Old January 9th 04, 10:13 PM
Scottishmoney

"Aram H. Haroutunian" wrote in message
I'm going to top post this. Don't forget the smell. Very important.
Aram.

On higher graded notes the smell of the note says a lot more about grade
than the look of the note, for the smell determines if it has been treated
and pressed.

Dave

---

Old January 10th 04, 12:38 PM
Aram H. Haroutunian

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 16:13:33 -0500, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

"Aram H. Haroutunian" wrote in message
.. .
I'm going to top post this. Don't forget the smell. Very important.
Aram.

On higher graded notes the smell of the note says a lot more about grade
than the look of the note, for the smell determines if it has been treated
and pressed.

Dave

---

Exactly, Dave. And ya can't smell it in the tomb. :-)
Aram.
Old January 12th 04, 12:09 PM
note.boy

Exposing a note to UV light can show if a note has been washed as the
note fluoresces due to the residue left by the washing agent. Billy

Old January 13th 04, 03:13 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

Scottishmoney wrote:

"Aram H. Haroutunian" wrote in message
I'm going to top post this. Don't forget the smell. Very important.
Aram.

On higher graded notes the smell of the note says a lot more about grade
than the look of the note, for the smell determines if it has been treated
and pressed.

Dave

---

Good info, Billy. Does that apply to all processes used to "improve"
the grade of a note?
Aram.
Old January 13th 04, 01:11 PM
note.boy

I would not say that it exposes all instances of a note being washed but
it is a useful test, some washed notes are very bright under UV light.

Some washed notes are very bright in some auction catalogue
illustrations but some still pay high prices for them. Billy