Describing book parts correctly

Old March 15th 05, 09:42 PM
Dave

Default Describing book parts correctly

I have a book that has some dents on what I THINK is called the
'untrimmed fore-edge' of the pages. Is this the proper description
for this book part? Is the description of 'dents' complete and clear
enough, as there are no tears, just some of the points slightly folded
over?

Thanks,

Dave
Old March 15th 05, 10:56 PM
Ver Geharget

"Dave" wrote in message
news
I have a book that has some dents on what I THINK is called the
'untrimmed fore-edge' of the pages.

I have an untrimmed foreskin, what's the proper term for that?

Old March 16th 05, 01:06 AM
my-wings

"Dave" wrote in message
news
I have a book that has some dents on what I THINK is called the
'untrimmed fore-edge' of the pages. Is this the proper description
for this book part? Is the description of 'dents' complete and clear
enough, as there are no tears, just some of the points slightly folded
over?

Thanks,

Dave

The fore-edge would be the part of the book opposite the spine. As an
unqualified term, I would assume that meant the page edges, but I think it
could also be applied to the cover if so specified. ("Fore-edge of top cover
bumped" for example.) "Untrimmed" pages could mean deckle edged. See some
example pictures he http://www.mywingsbooks.com/coll-terms/edg02_.shtml

I don't think I would use the term "dents" at all, except possibly to
describe a bump to the cover along an edge, or possibly in the middle of the
cover. Bumps on the corner are...bumps! (Examples he
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/coll-terms/edg02_.shtml ) If it is the page
points (corners?) that are slightly folded over, you probably want the term
"dog-eared."

Hope this helps. If not, feel free to write again. We sometimes do actual
book-talk here!

Alice

--
Book collecting terms illustrated. Occasional books for sale.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/

Old March 16th 05, 01:41 AM
Dave

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:06:29 GMT, "my-wings"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thank you.

The look of your Artificial Deckle is what I have. Looking along the
page edges (spine down) this is as close an example as I can make:
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
with some of the 'peaks' being dented in or _slightly_ flattened over.
How should this wear to the pages be listed, since the pages are not
damaged, in my opinion, since this is in the middle of the block of
pages.

Dave
Old March 16th 05, 02:22 AM
my-wings

wrote:

The look of your Artificial Deckle is what I have. Looking along the
page edges (spine down) this is as close an example as I can make:
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
with some of the 'peaks' being dented in or _slightly_ flattened over.
How should this wear to the pages be listed, since the pages are not
damaged, in my opinion, since this is in the middle of the block of
pages.

Dave

Ah ha. I know exactly what you mean, now, although it is hard to describe in
a few words. I would probably say something like: "Roughly trimmed page
edges show minor flattening in some areas of fore-edge. No rips or tears."
Depending on the value of the book and the grade, I might not even get that
detailed. I might say something like: "Fore-edge shows minor (or
significant) wear," especially if you could use a photo to show the details.

Perhaps one of the other regulars will chip in with a better recommendation.

Alice