A tale of 2 books- Longish brag

Old March 14th 05, 03:29 PM
Matthew Hill

Default A tale of 2 books- Longish brag

I recently received a pair of books purchased on Ebay with which I am
quite pleased. The history of the transaction is probably more
interesting to me than to you but I'm going to tell you anyway.

I don't now recall how I happened on the first auction back in December,
but it was for a book in which I have some professional interest. The
selling point, however, was the binding. Snakeskin. I thought that was
kind of neat if it could be had cheap enough so I decided what I was
willing to pay, put it in as an automatic snipe and, wouldn't you know,
lost it for 50 cents.

The buyer for some reason did not complete the purchase and I was offered
the book on a Second Chance at the final bid. Being a man of principle
(as well as cheap) I decided to stick with my original valuation and hope
the book would be put up again.

In late January, it did reapper. However this time it was teamed with
another book, the two being related only in that both were attractive
rebindings. Being somewhat diligent, I undertook a bit of E-research on
the companion volume. Nothing by the author. Looking for the title, I
realized that the seller had goofed. Wrong author for a book of some
little value. The Ebay opportunity one always hopes for. Obviously the
seller had researched it, because he had a buy-it-now price which was in the
ball park for the book, though probably high for the condition. How he
made the error I know not.

Any road, once again I determined what I was willing to pay. This time it
was a matter of ten times or near what I had risked on the single volume.
Put my snipe in through Auction-Stealer and waited. I won, at about half
what I was willing to pay and perhaps a quarter of the dealer pricing for
a comparable copy! And my first book essentially as a freebee.

The books? Oh yes, that might interest this crowd.

My original interest book - Robert Lowie - Manuel d'Anthropologie
Culturelle- Payot. Paris. 1936 -
A recent binding in half leather and snakeskin.
A translation, probably of his 1934 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology,
although I have not compared the two yet.

My treasure- Ude (Not Boule as the seller had it), Louis Eustache- The
French Cook-
A modern half leather binding.

Ude was chef to Louis XVI and to one of the Bonapartes before going to
England and serving the nobility. He published this book in the 18teens,
there seems to be some dispute as to precisely what year. Mine is a late
edition.
Unfortunately, the front matter is missing, so knowing which edition it is
will require getting my hands on the 13th and 14th, published in 1839
and 1841 respectively. The spine of my copy is impressed 1840 which
must be incorrect.

A very nice addition to my research oriented collection on gastronomy and
a show piece as well. Now I have to buy a copy of the 1978 reprint to try
cooking from.

Thus endeth the brag for the day

Matthew Hill